Entering the game by its cover jam and heres my first dev update 

Got the Dog model done and in game. Includes wild physic stretching and dangerously floppy ears.

y1XFCSI.gif

Also implemented it with some pre existing stuff like the trees/junk, thought bubble thing and a spherical world. 

One immediate problem is the collision does not follow the mesh which means as doggo stretches the collider segments remain the same. No solution comes to mind so i'm putting it off for now. 

https://itch.io/jam/a-game-by-its-cover-2017/topic/140328/doodlebears-secret-dev-log-daikou-buchu?before=3#post-269038

heres my post from itch.io

Been having some personal issues and missed a bunch of time. Also made  some things I ended up removing so with 6ish days left I don't know how well this going to go... Still feels a bit rudderless as far as the actual goal of the game goes. 

I had wanted to do a sort of physics based adventure thing where you help characters and spread happiness. I don't know though.. it doesn't seem to be clicking. I think I might try something a little more straightforward. 

I have this mechanic where a objects can be infected with sadness which changes color pallette and maybe warps the model(not pictured). 

here

c3yPC3N.gif

I was thinking I could use that idea for a more simple goal like:

Dog must eat all the things spreading sadness. 

or flipped

Dog must eat all things happy and leave the world a dark husk. 

In either case dog is an interloper, driven by the players competitiveness to consumes it all .

This way itd be more straightforward and probably funner, I could still include some of the stuff I wanted but tangentially too. 

jyJmlcc.gif

btw the gifs sped up.

First thing is a rocket you can pick up and use, second is a weird flower power up. Both can launch you into space and serve no purpose whatsoever.  

Dog's epic bounce at the end there was because of a glitch but it was beautiful so I left it in. 

Also I got the world map working which I kinda like, though it needs a little ui dot in the middle or something.

Anyway ramble over,  typing this out its become a bit clearer.  I gotta pull it together and get something done.  

Sorry to hear you've been having some troubles. I don't know where this game will end up, but that final gif... that is pure gold!

Long time since I updated this!
Still drawing, though i had a break(and got into photography) for a few months before resuming. I do an hour each morning so i have not improved much, which is fine iv got other things to focus on. 

After kicking around last year and trying a bunch of different things i'm really digging game development. This year im going to just learn as much as I can, make stuff and put together a portfolio.

The project iv been working on the past few months is an AR game where you grow plants on a randomly generated map.

Playing the game would be like bumbling around a garden, shifting rocks,  planting seeds, inquisitively looking at the little creatures living there. 

Here's a cheesy and kind of confusing prototype video I made today, since its on IOS I cant easily send the game to people so I thought id better make a video or something.
I was in the city today so I filmed some stuff and put this together. It was actually really hard haha. Really it was an excuse to make cheesy music. 

Anyway its at the point where I kind of want to move on.
I think there's some massive flaws, namly I don't really know what this is actually about. I started the project on a whim without any planning and now im looking up at the jenga tower.

Id really like to work on some less ambitious projects where I can just focus on learning game design without the crazy tech issues. 

Spent this month working on prototype for a weird single input game. Heavily inspired by Downwell with an attempt at spelunkies every object interacts with one another.

You start out at the top of a mega city and the goal of the game is to reach the ground. To get there you move and dodge with a single input draw mechanic. See in this gif below a clear example of the draw mechanic while fighting a worm.. 

RYTZxRq.gif

When you draw a line if it intersects with an enemy a (very ugly temp) circle appears indicating your character will attack it. Every attack that lands adds to a combo count at the top of the screen, currently this does nothing. Time also slows while you draw the path too.

Drawing the paths has an almost sketch/gestural quality I quite like, though attacking automatically is weird. Iv been thinking perhaps the game should be shifted to focus on avoiding things than trying to attack. 

Heres the intro sequence. Iv not actually animated anything so its all just temp stuff but it gives a feel for the style.

7xDEMsT.gif

Heres a fight with a turret. The map is randomly generated though there's few tile types right now. 

dgkPTJp.gif

Heres one version of a Shop, a club where a player could buy stuff(currently does nothing). 

BkPWZWT.gif

Anyway I think iv had enough of this one for the moment. This month im going to play a ton of games and learn more about coding so ill put it on ice.