Draw!
Iv never drawn anything in my life and the assets I make for my own games are ass. So I figured id learn to draw. 

I've started working through that Scott Robertson perspective book and I do a daily Walk cycle animation. Really though i'm pretty clueless about what i'm actually doing. If anyone has any study advice or whatever i'm always interested. 

Here's a handful of cycles from the first week or so. Iv got some actual sketches too which i might include in the next dump. 

FeQDyqd.gif

RnVliVn.gif

xeDHE2k.gif

Qow0FhD.gif

rMDGYTm.gif

Edit: some sketches I left out.

5rVzKDO.jpg?2

OUlsawq.jpg?1  

Hey there,

That's some great work! You've got far in a week. :)

Are you planning to start doing art for games mainly, or just expanding your talent pool?

Week 2 More animation stuff. I'm stopping the animation daily cycle because I would rather focus on drawing fundamentals. 

M2G6hvd.gif

QbJQRfd.gif

64jEHgE.gif

SfMj3m7.gif

Also here's a stupid segment of a intro sequence I made about a month ago(in blender). 

from the same short animation 

What are you using for your animation recording? It looks like there's some weird scan lines coming through which I would assume aren't intentional? If you're looking for a program to record your screen, try either gifcam or ShareX. They're lightweight programs that can record regions of your screen really easily.

Other than that, looking good! My partner (who can art) says values are hard and that it takes a lot of practise to get pencils right, but you're off to a good start. :)

These are great, spaceturtle! It's very cool to see your progression, and inspiring for those of us who keep meaning to get better at drawing. Did you ever end up using that Blender intro for anything?

Thanks Rilen :) no it was going to be used in the intro for a small 1 level game but I started learning to draw instead. 

first charcoal from a few days ago.

Havn't got much else to put up though I have been drawing alot. Ive mainly focused on line/ellipsis/box exercises and a gesture stuff, but I'm feeling frustrated with my progress. Not sure if I should be doing more sketches too. 

Been doing charcoal stuff along with the usual gesture exercises. Heres a Miles Davis from the other day. 26oaCQn.jpg?1

Also heres some kinda old small inkpen drawings 4RyxLTs.jpg?3uxgc1am.jpg?1KLCbgZf.jpg?1

Iv read I should draw in ink because my mistakes teach me more when I cant erase them, but honestly it's far less fun when everything I do is fixed-in-stone-ass. Iv since switched back to pencil and Ill take the improvement hit to enjoy it more. 

Also i'v been splitting my time with game development so here's a gif of my last project. 

The goal for this was just to do a bunch of basic stuff to get me comfortable in unity and I also learnt a bit about shaders. The games completely dysfunctional and even if I cleaned it up it would be mechanically dull so as of today i'm moving on to a new project. 

Awesome thread, it's great to see someone's progress in drawing. I'm going through a similar self-teaching process with writing right now, but the next step will be getting my graphic design skills up to snuff. :)

More gesture and charcoal. 

Lazy on the hands face and feet, in part because I find charcoal difficult for small details (this is on A4) still I should improve on this. 

This one was following a video series so was a bit easier than usual, I have a few others ill post soon.

That looks pretty great! I enjoy your charcoal stuff quite a bit and seeing the improvements overall.

I have just a few minor critiques:

1. The contrast between deltoid and trapezius on left side is a bit too harsh I think. Something about it makes the shoulder blade look to high or something.
  2. Also given the build of this guy, his tricep seems a bit undefined on the left as well.
  3. The V shape of the back lumbar muscles down to the buttocks are a little uneven.

I haven't had an anatomy or drawing class for about 10 years at this point, but those were just a few things that stood out. Overall I love the values, weight, and balance of the piece. Keep up the good work!

Been busy with wizjam but heres an update 

Bought an intuos draw about a month ago and just doing gesture while I work on game stuff. Heres something from this week

MyOWKoB.jpg

I used dropper a fair bit for colors so the shadings pretty cheaty.

The dudes face is pretty bad, I gave him a beard just to cover the awful lower face but whatever I wanted something to post. 

Im going to expand this thread from just art to a general bloggy random crap hole. 

Messing around with ideas for my next project. Drew some sketches of a team based racing thing in minecarts. I like the idea of being fixed to the track changing the way overtaking would work. . Also working with other players within the cart would be cool, one person on the cart brakes and hitting track switches, another takes care of fighting, another repair... I dont think ill actually do anything with it though.

t1IhRXW.jpg

Jbh5Kkz.jpg

Had an idea to make a 2d game set on a cave's wall. Ive also been fascinated by the supposed historical bottleneck where as little as 2000 humans were thought to be alive. I thought Id try and combine the two for a setting and style I hadn't seen before.

However when I was looking for reference pics I found a ludum dare game that had already done the cave painting thing.

Scooped(by at least one.. probably more). 

Any way I had a toy around with it just to see and its aight.
ALv7173.gif

Excuse the crappiness I guesss, I was mainly trying to get it as close to the painted look as I could. Its using invisible 3d models mapped over the wall texture to warp them appropriately. Think ill bum around with a few other ideas for a while and maybe come back to this.

A new (pre)prototype based on my alt wizjam idea.

ZXi3E8b.gif

Its a time loop game where you must stop previous versions of yourself from assassinating yourself... Haha

Its hard to tell because of how bare bones this is but basically it goes:

first loop you assassinate a target (grey guy)

(reverseTime)

second you block your past self's spear and then assassinate loop 1 you.

(reverseTime)

third you assassinate your second loop. 

End

One problem is the past self's complete lack of response when confronted with new circumstances.

A solution might be to include a little bit of AI so if intercepted by another player they can AI shoot at them or whatever. Or maybe the time travelers seeing each other causes the player to loose the round...

I was thinking this would work as a local multiplayer game flipping back and forth as you try foil one another.

So if there were two players there could be a sort of redemption opportunity when the "past" player is AI triggered. They then can tag back in to fight off the assassin. 

Aesthetically I don't really like it. Not because of how prototypy it is.. Just the greek painting style doesn't click for me and I kind of dont like setting it in 2D.

Also I think its because it reminds of a billion mid 2000s flash games where you violently impale 2d figures. I'm not really interested in doing something so done to death... so ill try some other variants I think. 

Been working on a game where the player escapes a room or facility while twitch chat or a second player control the facility computer systems( door locks, security bots.. gravity control) and try to stop them. I was interested in the chaotic twitch chat bouncing off a real person. If each chatter had some amount of impact on the streamers experience.. 

I got it working in a very basic way but i'm feeling completely apathetic about the whole thing. Its hard to know when Iv put enough work in, it seems to be a running theme that I quit out early on a lot of ideas. Im not sure if im lazy or it's just not clicking... I don't know... typing this I feel there is potential but I just don't care that much? sigh I don't know, I feel apathetic about everything. My wizjam game had a firm feeling in my mind from the start maybe that's why I was able to get it finished. Or more likely it was the fixed time limit. fuck i don't know. 

Ill probably open a stream for testing if i get more done on it. 

Just checking in here and see pretty interesting ideas! Although the greek time-looping game is a bit confusing, I like all three. The look in the first game is really nice for a quick prototype. I hope something sticks with you soon and inspires you to keep going.

Thanks Travis :)

Been feeling pretty bad about everything so I haven't posted much. Its been over 6 months since I started drawing and im feeling okish about where its at... Still I would  like to be better than I am.. Though its obviously my fault, I haven't been very effective lately. 
I did some pics of my friends recently here's one with a zelda theme 

u5MJzIE.jpg

Disclaimer I nicked the color palette from part of a peice @Sunnless did.

Otherwise iv thrown out all the past game stuff and started a new one. Having a tough time keeping my chin up so everythings pretty eh.