Jake

Important If True 2: Fight Garbage With Garbage

I don't know if Chris was referencing this article when talking about the eagles trained to take down drones, but if he was, I think he made a big mistake when he neglected to read the first sentence out loud:

Under French military supervision, four golden eagle chicks hatched last year atop drones — born into a world of terror and machines they would be bred to destroy.

Anyone else think the Important If True Patreon campaign might do better if subscribers got access to episodes with extra ad reads instead of having the ad reads clipped out?

46 minutes ago, Urthman said:

Anyone else think the Important If True Patreon campaign might do better if subscribers got access to episodes with extra ad reads instead of having the ad reads clipped out?

A hearty "no" from me. I couldn't be happier that I can experience this show without it being tainted by YET ANOTHER SQUARESPACE/LEESA/HARRY'S/WHATEVER AD READ. Any fractional goofs that may spin off of them is not worth the interruption of flow for me. This show is awesome with no ads.

I enjoy listening to the Casper mattress or the Squarespace ads over and over because of the awareness that Chris has to read it over and over and he's such a good sport about it.  His voice is all, "See, this doesn't have to be drudgery!"

Since you enjoy animal names, you can enjoy the mighty Eurasian eagle-owl AKA Bubo Bubo. I think it's pronounced as Boo-bo Boo-bo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_eagle-owl

Ornithologists monitor them by their distinctive hoots, each bubo bubo having it's own personal hoot frequency profile. This makes it easy to record their movements if you place enough recorders in an area.

In re: ads: I forgot I had the Patreon stream and was very confused when some offhand comment was made about reading ads and then the conversation just started again. I was trying to figure out for a good 10 minutes or so what product this was about to transition into before I remembered I had swapped out the feeds in my 'cast app.

The chat about the possibility that Murder She Wrote might once have been filmed on the set of the Jaws ride reminded me of the movie Escape From Tomorrow, which is an independently-made feature film that was shot covertly in Disneyworld without permission from the big D. I don't think you guys have discussed this before but given the frequency with which Disney parks are mentioned I think it might be relevant to your interests?

It's not a great movie, though it's weird and silly in a kind of sub-Lynchian way. But I'm sure it will be super interesting to any fan of the parks, and it's really remarkable what the filmmakers achieved with consumer-grade cameras and actors pretending to be tourists. I have no idea how it got made on a technical level, and it's amazing that Disney's reaction has basically been 'eh, whatever'. Though to be fair, it did kind of make me want to go to Disneyworld...

The sign off to this episode was really good. I don't know how to qualify that, I just know the thought "that was really good!" went through my brain.

Important; True:

Icy Hot is actually both cold, then hot. It's a mentholated liniment that uses the chemical compound found in wintergreen oil to create a small amount of heat when you put it on your skin. You feel the menthol first, which is the cooling sensation, and after 10-15 seconds you feel the heat on your skin from the oils. It's supposed to reduce pain through counteracting it with additional sensations.

I cross referenced the part about wintergreen oil, but I can confirm through firsthand experience that Icy Hot does indeed create both a cool and a warm feeling, in titular order.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:40 AM, Badfinger said:

Important; True:

Icy Hot is actually both cold, then hot. It's a mentholated liniment that uses the chemical compound found in wintergreen oil to create a small amount of heat when you put it on your skin. You feel the menthol first, which is the cooling sensation, and after 10-15 seconds you feel the heat on your skin from the oils. It's supposed to reduce pain through counteracting it with additional sensations.

I cross referenced the part about wintergreen oil, but I can confirm through firsthand experience that Icy Hot does indeed create both a cool and a warm feeling, in titular order.

Since we're talking Icy Hot, I will tell you that I prefer BioFreeze to get more icy and more hot.

Also, it is possible to OD on IcyHot!

On ads, I came here to agree that I love all the goofs and banter that come with them, but then I heard my first episode sans-ads and it was pretty sweet. It's sad to think I would have missed great goofs like Jake whispering at Nick to creep him out, but without that "intermission" the podcast feels like it goes by at a speedier clip. Not that I'm quick to be rid of the pod, but there is only so much time in the day. 

An extra tidbit about Bruce the shark from Jaws: it was named after Spielberg's lawyer.

Really enjoying the show! I was going to mention my hope that you lay off the robot fear for a bit, but it seems to have died down in the subsequent episodes anyway.

The explanation for the 'cast title is cool, although I'm not sure about the tagline - what is it, "the cast where everything is important unless it's not"? Feels a bit cheesy and empty to me, like something Drew Carey might say...

Chris' twitter account had already alerted me to 'smutty sax' of the Matlock theme, so I was perfectly primed for this episode. As the Poirot discussion began I felt Matlock coming up, and when it arrived it did not disappoint. Please musically describe everything now, Chris. 'Dirty... ass... horns...'