Jake

Important If True 2: Fight Garbage With Garbage

King by Years & Years is the song that the piano bloke was looking for. But I guess he's gone insane by now.

I have an problem. I told some coworkers about the B.Bloop fish, but now i am having trouble finding any documentation online regarding this animal. If they look into it they will think i am stupid. Am i stupid? is this a real fish or did i miss something. Probably should have done some research prior to sharing my new found knowledge. 

1 hour ago, jefferyrocket said:

I have an problem. I told some coworkers about the B.Bloop fish, but now i am having trouble finding any documentation online regarding this animal. If they look into it they will think i am stupid. Am i stupid? is this a real fish or did i miss something. Probably should have done some research prior to sharing my new found knowledge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogue_(fish)

Tragically, you pronounce each O separately, so the scientific name actually rhymes with "co-ops." Also, it's "bo" as in bovine and "ops" as in optics, so that's how you get "cow eye."

I wasn't going to comment because I don't have anything interesting to add, but I've decided to anyway. This episode is definitely the best you've done in a while; it's truly incredible.

My favorite moments have always been ones where I am baffled at the nature of what I'm listening to (Ancestry -> cave-dwelling Scottish serial killer Breckon is one of the peaks), and there are so many great instances of that here.

16 hours ago, MarkHoog said:

King by Years & Years is the song that the piano bloke was looking for. But I guess he's gone insane by now.

Holy shit you are correct.

Also, he only posted this a month or so ago, so there may be a chance yet. 

The really impressive thing is that he's playing it in exactly the right key. That means he either has perfect pitch, heard the song fairly recently and has a very good musical memory, or was just incredibly lucky.

Also, I think that Chris' description of the Poirot theme as the Matlock theme with Careless Whisper was pretty inspired. I encourage anyone to go and click on the Matlock theme, click the gear, and set the speed to 0.5 for a more moody version. It really makes me long for a radio station that's entirely slow New Orleans dirge music. I've wanted this since first hearing Radiohead's wonderful, wonderful Life in a Glass House

24 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

Also, I think that Chris' description of the Poirot theme as the Matlock theme with Careless Whisper was pretty inspired. I encourage anyone to go and click on the Matlock theme, click the gear, and set the speed to 0.5 for a more moody version. It really makes me long for a radio station that's entirely slow New Orleans dirge music. I've wanted this since first hearing Radiohead's wonderful, wonderful Life in a Glass House

It's not 50% slower certainly, but in an email, a reader clued me into this fascinating recording, which is the theme to Diary of a Perfect Murder, the TV movie predecessor of the Matlock series. It's a bit slower and slightly more stately than the TV theme:

He surmised that the Matlock theme was a sped-up playback of this recording, but if you listen carefully it's clear that they are two entirely different performances.

I recently rewatched a few eps of childhood favorite TV show Jeeves and Wooster and this is the theme song of that show:

...did ALL late 80s/early 90s TV shows have this kind of theme music??

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

He surmised that the Matlock theme was a speed-up playback of this recording, but if you listen carefully it's clear that they are two entirely different performances.

This is great, thank you! If you change the speed to 1.25 on the Diary of a Perfect Murder Theme, you can better compare the two, and yeah, they're definitely different recordings. Most importantly, the Diary of a Perfect Murder Theme doesn't have this insane whistle noise at the end. Speaking of that weird whistle noise, I am going to link to an entirely different thing that I have tweeted fourteen hundred times and is maybe my favorite weird musical youtube video of all time:

Going and watching video of the Matlock opening also ties into another similarity and another part of the obsession, which is staring into the weird 90's post-processing face of David Suchet as the shot holds onto him smiling way longer than it should. I rather like the paperback art deco aesthetic of the rest of the opening sequence, but this part is so so weird.

I was dying in my car listening to Jake spin out the David Lynch's Murder She Wrote storyline/Jessica vs. Jaws. When Alan Moore came up and Jake immediately got cut off, my brain went into overdrive and I thought the logical leap was to From Hell's weird psychogeography/London as a massive Freemason ritual site, but the move to "Batman creates the supervillains" was a. so extremely obvious I should have thought of it and b. more evidence of why I love you guys.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

It's not 50% slower certainly, but in an email, a reader clued me into this fascinating recording, which is the theme to Diary of a Perfect Murder, the TV movie predecessor of the Matlock series. It's a bit slower and slightly more stately than the TV theme:

He surmised that the Matlock theme was a sped-up playback of this recording, but if you listen carefully it's clear that they are two entirely different performances.

I think in that era it would have been way more difficult to do a speed increase while perfectly maintaining pitch, than it would to get musicians back in to re-perform. 

Really really happy about the slow-descending drum fill in this version of the Matlock theme. That's definitely a fill that has fallen out of fashion but it always makes me so happy because it evokes Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (and the Beatles and Pink Floyd and stuff, but man Animal really went for that fill).

I'm glad this thread is currently largely about theme songs to crime procedurals, played back and/or performed at different speeds. This is good stuff. 

5 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

Speaking of that weird whistle noise, I am going to link to an entirely different thing that I have tweeted fourteen hundred times and is maybe my favorite weird musical youtube video of all time:

You should continue sharing this. Phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think in that era it would have been way more difficult to do a speed increase while perfectly maintaining pitch, than it would to get musicians back in to re-perform. 

At that time they almost certainly would have simply played it back at slightly faster speed and accepted the higher pitch. I know there are examples of that in actual albums but can't think of any specifics offhand.

27 minutes ago, Chris said:

At that time they almost certainly would have simply played it back at slightly faster speed and accepted the higher pitch. I know there are examples of that in actual albums but can't think of any specifics offhand.

Yeah for sure. These two recordings are in the same key though, right? That's why I pointed that out. 

Wasn't it also quite difficult to maintain perfect pitch in tv shows/movies because of different framerates between source material and NTSC (or in Europe, PAL) home devices? It's why songs in movies sometimes sound a tad higher, if I'm correct...

I would love to see Jessica Fletcher decide to investigate a murder at Universal studios, walk out of the set of Murder She Wrote/Jaws to Universal Studios, do some detective stuff, walk back to the set of MSW, realize that what she just did was fucked up, take off the VR helmet, realize she is taking the Unversal Studios tour, freak out, wake up, and realize she exist within the snow globe of the kid from St. Elsewhere.

Also, Batman '66 is amazing. 

Also, I guess I need to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

14 hours ago, MarkHoog said:

Wasn't it also quite difficult to maintain perfect pitch in tv shows/movies because of different framerates between source material and NTSC (or in Europe, PAL) home devices? It's why songs in movies sometimes sound a tad higher, if I'm correct...

The NTSC/PAL difference is very minor and I think it'd take careful study to tell the two apart. The speed difference is just a single frame per second, if I recall correctly. Same with the difference between the "source" (which is usually either 24 fps film or a digital file simulating 24 fps film) and the home devices.

But sometimes in films directors will speed up a song for pacing/editing purposes. Listen to Corona's "Rhythm of the Night" and how it plays at the end of Claire Denis' film Beau Travail for a good example.

Actually the difference between PAL and NTSC framerates is 0.024 (at least today it is). I have no idea why NTSC needs to be 23.976... But it is.

37 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

Actually the difference between PAL and NTSC framerates is 0.024 (at least today it is). I have no idea why NTSC needs to be 23.976... But it is.

If you want to show a film shot at 24 FPS on a NTSC TV (at 29.970 frames per second, not 30 frames per second, because of the addition of color to the signal and some complicated integer frequency math), you have to use a telecine machine to convert the film to video using a 2:3 (or 3:2) pulldown which has, as its first step, slowing the speed down by 1/1000th, from 24 to 23.976 fps (which is imperceptible for people watching). At this FPS, you can get four frames of film for every five frames of your final 29.97 FPS video.