Sign in to follow this  
Brannigan

Legion (FX series)

Anyone watching Legion?  Really dug the first two episodes, such a bizarre show, especially for a comic book related one.

18 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Anyone watching Legion?  Really dug the first two episodes, such a bizarre show, especially for a comic book related one.

I'm loving it. I came very close to creating a thread about it but then realised i don't really want to discuss anything about it.

Its a great little puzzle box and i feel the less i know about/think it about it the better.

1 strange tip. I had to listen to the first ep with headphones on as my wife was in bed and it was a really interesting experience. There's tons of background noise, i guess conveying what's it like to be Mr Legion a telepath who can't control his powers, would recommend

spoiler about parentage

professor X's son. I'm not sure if that is a definite. I kinda hope that doesn't come up in the series. No doubt we'll discover he's parents aren't real and all his memories are constructed, but i really hope Patrick Stuart doesn't turn up at some point. Just leave it a mystery, at least for this season.

Also

could-this-be-mojo-in-the-new-fx-series-

2 hours ago, Trip Hazard said:

Noah Hawley was executive producer on Legion. 

Noah Hawley did Fargo.

I must watch Legion immediately.

Still haven't seen Fargo, but Legion is very good!

9 hours ago, Mington said:

I'm loving it. I came very close to creating a thread about it but then realised i don't really want to discuss anything about it.

Its a great little puzzle box and i feel the less i know about/think it about it the better.

1 strange tip. I had to listen to the first ep with headphones on as my wife was in bed and it was a really interesting experience. There's tons of background noise, i guess conveying what's it like to be Mr Legion a telepath who can't control his powers, would recommend

spoiler about parentage

Hide contents

professor X's son. I'm not sure if that is a definite. I kinda hope that doesn't come up in the series. No doubt we'll discover he's parents aren't real and all his memories are constructed, but i really hope Patrick Stuart doesn't turn up at some point. Just leave it a mystery, at least for this season.

Also

Hide contents

could-this-be-mojo-in-the-new-fx-series-

While there certainly is plenty of mystery, it's just a real treat how they're handling time and reality in this.  Love the music and set design too.

Absolute treat for the eyes and ears. Really enjoyed the use of Janes addiction in the first episode with the slow mo room explode :)

im really liking the memory workshops, just give me a whole series of that. delving deeper in to suppressed memories.

so he was mates with the twizzler girl before they both got banged up in a mental hospital, you know back when the were trading ovens for drugs. Was she always only in his mind... I'm sure we'll find out more about that as we go.

cant say I care about the sister. She seems fake to me in her 60s hair and clothes, when is this supposed to be set exactly?

Most things point to 60s/70s but there are things way out of place, like the interrogator's ipad thing.  From what I've read they're purposefully making it somewhat ambiguous. 

This is definitely a show where I am questioning everything in terms of what is real and what isn't.

I don't have my standard concerns about shows that trend toward the mysterious. Please don't become lost. K Thanx bye.

On 18/02/2017 at 0:19 AM, Brannigan said:

Most things point to 60s/70s but there are things way out of place, like the interrogator's ipad thing.  From what I've read they're purposefully making it somewhat ambiguous. 

I thought that was just a notebook? Otherwise why did he need the pen?

8 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

I thought that was just a notebook? Otherwise why did he need the pen?

It's a stylus.  One of the early scenes with him shows digital records of david and the therapist from the hospital scrolling on it

My thoughts on the first episode:

So I watched the first episode and was super excited about how it seemed to basically be X-Men minus all the bullshit that comes with being a licensed comics property and then they got out of the pool building and I realized it was an X-Men show and my interest basically tanked. Now it just feels like a slow march to the show having to promote some shity movie directed by a child molester and losing everything that makes it interesting. I'll keep going with it for now but I'm really bored of licensed super hero stuff.

5 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

My thoughts on the first episode:

Hide contents

So I watched the first episode and was super excited about how it seemed to basically be X-Men minus all the bullshit that comes with being a licensed comics property and then they got out of the pool building and I realized it was an X-Men show and my interest basically tanked. Now it just feels like a slow march to the show having to promote some shity movie directed by a child molester and losing everything that makes it interesting. I'll keep going with it for now but I'm really bored of licensed super hero stuff.

It's more or less all character stuff, even when weird.

Yeah I'm up episode two and that very much seems to be the case. Hopefully it stays that way as some qualms about the way it handles metal health stuff aside I'm digging it.

Loved the opening scene and follow up in the newest episode.  Glad they're really ramping up the strangeness while keeping a slight comedic edge, particularly with Oliver's scenes.

I must say I am a bit tired of Aubrey Plaza in a broader sense, I think she is fine in Legion, but she literally plays one character in everything I've seen her in. Would be cool to see some range, maybe she needs a Truman Show/Eternal Sunshine

13 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Loved the opening scene and follow up in the newest episode.  Glad they're really ramping up the strangeness while keeping a slight comedic edge, particularly with Oliver's scenes.

Loved the latest episode

I don't watch the show (and don't know if this is a spoiler, so I've tagged it) but when this image popped up on my rss reader my first thought was...

Spoiler

..."Why is that not Matt Berry?"

tSGoK3A.png

44 minutes ago, tabacco said:

I don't watch the show (and don't know if this is a spoiler, so I've tagged it) but when this image popped up on my rss reader my first thought was...

Hide contents

..."Why is that not Matt Berry?"

1485914337052.jpg

Image not showing up, but know exactly what you're talking about. He definitely has that a lot of that vibe.

Aubrey Plaza and Dan Stevens are both really working it on this show.  Latest episode really escalated...everything.  

Spoiler

David is truly creepy when he's letting the devil control/share his body, even before he starts dancing around and mass murdering division 3.  The silent section was pretty tense as well.

4 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Aubrey Plaza and Dan Stevens are both really working it on this show.  Latest episode really escalated...everything.  

Reveal hidden contents

David is truly creepy when he's letting the devil control/share his body, even before he starts dancing around and mass murdering division 3.  The silent section was pretty tense as well.

Such a great episode, I have no idea where the show is going and I love it

I guess we'll see how this season goes, but not sure if I super want a second season.  Part of me would like this to be a contained story, can't really see how they expand further on the concept without letting it wear out its welcome.  Besides that though, continuing to have a good time!  Really enjoyed the complete shift this past episode took.

Spoiler

Enjoyed all the characters being shifted into patients, analyzing them a bit, effectively taking them to therapy.  Nice seeing the Cary/Kerry dynamic played out more physically, we get to see how they're actually interacting when Cary is seemingly talking to himself.  That relationship is so sweet.

I like how the more explicitly "X-Men" stuff is handled.

Spoiler

Amaul Farouk, the vague shots of an x-wheel on an x-wheel chair, and the furrowed brow of a bald man.

2 hours ago, CarpetScooter said:

I like how the more explicitly "X-Men" stuff is handled.

Hide contents

Amaul Farouk, the vague shots of an x-wheel on an x-wheel chair, and the furrowed brow of a bald man.

Spoiler

David's deliciously terrible patrick stewart impression