Jake

Idle Thumbs 300: Our Weird Monstrosity

9 hours ago, wazanator said:

In regards to the X-Axis remapping and remapping controls in general, it's actually quite easy in most cases to remap it in the code on a modern engine. If a game doesn't have it is a sign of oversight on the developers end or lazy programming...

Confirmed Lazy Devs; Greedy Devs.

1 hour ago, Badfinger said:

Confirmed Lazy Devs; Greedy Devs.

I don't think anyone on the podcast said it was hard - we said it is often unconsidered because flight sticks traditionally inverted Y but not X, relative to joysticks, so it was the only axis thought to be needed in your settings and that wasn't really reassessed for a long time - so I'm not entirely sure why "it's actually easy," was framed in that way in wazanartor's reply (which had a lot of good knowledge and examples). 

In my dumb experience, the hardest thing is adding a last minute checkbox to an already too full settings screen, haha :(

5 hours ago, Jake said:

I don't think anyone on the podcast said it was hard - we said it is often unconsidered because flight sticks traditionally inverted Y but not X, relative to joysticks, so it was the only axis thought to be needed in your settings and that wasn't really reassessed for a long time - so I'm not entirely sure why "it's actually easy," was framed in that way in wazanartor's reply (which had a lot of good knowledge and examples). 

In my dumb experience, the hardest thing is adding a last minute checkbox to an already too full settings screen, haha :(

Oh god I'm sorry, I just quoted the paragraph because it contained the words "developers" and "lazy". I make no claim to intent beyond bad inside jokes.

Lazy jokes, greedy jokes.

3 hours ago, Badfinger said:

Oh god I just quoted the paragraph because it contained the words "developers" and "lazy". I make no claim to intent beyond bad inside jokes.

Lazy jokes, greedy jokes.

Bad finger, sad finger

Thank you Jake for putting that preroll montage together. I was able to pinpoint the exact moment when I started listening to the podcast (EP 129: A Reminder). But I did go back and listen to the previous episode (128: Dear Mom) and vividly remember the Idle Thumbs Cabal/Quadrilateral Cowboy pre-roll. Everything after that was a total blast, and made me nostalgic for the now 3 1/2 years I've had Idle Thumbs on my feed. Thanks for all the great content everyone and I give Important If True a listen. 

And thank you Jake for putting all that music at the end. I was convinced the episode was done and there was another three and a half minutes of laffs!

Thanks to you all for the many years of great content™. This podcast, all its weird tangents and in-jokes, the unique perspective of and interplay between each of the hosts, and the always amazingly friendly community has been a huge influence on the way I approach games and culture (and to some extent life) since I started listening back in 2009. While many things have changed, IT is still the podcast I look forward to most each week. I'm happy to have the chance to be a patron now, and I'll listen to IIT and any show you guys produce in the future regardless of its focus.

After the mention here I went back to the end of episode 43, and Chris' doubt at Nick's love of Jeff Goldblum is hilarious given how much of a recurring character he would go on to become. "Are you, like, a big fan of Jeff Goldblum?" "Yeah, I fuckin' love Jeff Goldblum!" "Wait, really? For real? I find that guy obnoxious." ... "Wait, who's a fan of Jeff Goldbum? What is there to be a fan of?"

Omg, I'm listening to the preroll supercut, and I just remembered this one time that I was falling asleep listening to old episodes. I thought that my podcast app was set to stop once the episode ended, but it wasn't and it just took a minute or so to load the next episode. Just as I was nodding off suddenly Jake loudly declares, "Get ready for a surprise!" and I bolted back up and fucking lost it. I didn't fall asleep for like another hour. :lol:

20 hours ago, Laco said:

Thanks to you all for the many years of great content™. This podcast, all its weird tangents and in-jokes, the unique perspective of and interplay between each of the hosts, and the always amazingly friendly community has been a huge influence on the way I approach games and culture (and to some extent life) since I started listening back in 2009. While many things have changed, IT is still the podcast I look forward to most each week. I'm happy to have the chance to be a patron now, and I'll listen to IIT and any show you guys produce in the future regardless of its focus.

After the mention here I went back to the end of episode 43, and Chris' doubt at Nick's love of Jeff Goldblum is hilarious given how much of a recurring character he would go on to become. "Are you, like, a big fan of Jeff Goldblum?" "Yeah, I fuckin' love Jeff Goldblum!" "Wait, really? For real? I find that guy obnoxious." ... "Wait, who's a fan of Jeff Goldbum? What is there to be a fan of?"

That's gotta be some sort of Idle Thumbs blasphemy, up there with cursing the name of Far Cry 2.

They mentioned Vampire: The Masquerade being able to do mirrors really easily, and in fact VtM: Bloodlines was the first game that came to mind when I thought about mirrors in games. Because the player can't actually see themselves in mirrors, there's a somewhat sneaky hidden passage disguised as a mirror that can actually be fairly deceptive. Nothing ground-breaking, but a good clever way to exploit the vampire loophole in mirror rendering in an interesting way.

Oddly enough I've also gotten used to X/Y inversion in Dark Souls of all games. I don't know why, I just tried turning them both on and that felt the most natural to me out of the available control schemes. Apparently I've set myself up to suffer in the future if I want to play other third person games, though.

Playing with the familiarity of spaces is one of the really interesting things that games opened up as a medium: It's not really possible to have a place feel like you belong to it and to subvert that feeling in a film or novel. I wonder, too, if harnessing and then subverting nostalgia in funny and disturbing ways is one of the reasons Undertale has had such an impact.

I love this show. Great episode. Good job everyone, especially Jake and Nick.

I just thought about it and no Half Life game has any fucking mirrors. I feel so cheated. Deus Ex has mirrors thankfully. Now I'm just thinking about games with mirrors. Deus Ex 1 had mirrors but they had to model the player model for 3rd person conversations already anyway. 

Oh man. Sort of goodbye to my favorite show! Looking forward to having a new favorite show!

My very favorite pre-roll is the "last week on idle thumbs" from episode 11 part 2 that is just fart noises plus jake and chris saying "scoops" "hot scoops" and steve sighing

Wait,  dracula: the masquerade: bloodlines ALREADY had 3d player models,  for 3rd person and cutscenes. Convos were 1st person. Did the source engine just not support mirrors? This is why Troika closed 

Mirrors reflected the environment but not the player, since the player plays a vampire. I think they might actually just be a duplicate of the room geometry on the other side of a blocking volume, but I can't remember.

20 hours ago, newgameplus said:

Omg, I'm listening to the preroll supercut, and I just remembered this one time that I was falling asleep listening to old episodes. I thought that my podcast app was set to stop once the episode ended, but it wasn't and it just took a minute or so to load the next episode. Just as I was nodding off suddenly Jake loudly declares, "Get ready for a surprise!" and I bolted back up and fucking lost it. I didn't fall asleep for like another hour. :lol:

I've also listened to a lot of Thumbs while going to sleep, and remember once waking up from fairly deep sleep to the NOB! music. It was so bizarre that I went on to assume it was actually just part of a dream or a hypnagogic hallucination. Then (maybe just a few minutes later), I reset the podcast to the last stuff I remembered hearing, and once again woke up to NOB! I was able to get through the cast fully awake the next time, but in listening to 300's compilation, I was yet again woken up by NOB! I don't know when, but I'm sure it will wake me up again in the future.

I was really hoping Jake would include the various versions of the Idle Thumbs theme song with his preroll montage and was super happy he did.

Thanks Jake!  That whole stupid thing was really fun to listen to. 

Jake suggested Riendeaument (Riendeau moment) for the additional Danielle-based section at the end.

He could also have had Riendum (Riendeau addendum) or Riendix (Riendeau appendix).

Excellent episode, a great way for the 'cast to sign off before once more going into hibernation!

I'm a little late to this episode but, man, that Final Fantasy 8 save file story prompted me to chime in.

I swear there's something wrong with that game's save interface, because I did something very similar...

...to myself.

I got all the way to the final final boss and was finding it really difficult. I was rebounding off it time and time again and getting frustrated, so I decided to start a brand new save file. I wanted to keep playing the game, but I wanted to be making progress, not just be stuck on a boss. I planned to come back and finish off the boss another day.

Anyway, I got a couple of hours into my new game and hit a save point.

I open the save menu.

I pop my cursor down a few slots.

Muscle memory takes over.

I hit save.

"Are you sure you want to overwrite this slot?"

Yes.

Wait.

No!

NOOO!!

And that's how I ended up playing through Final Fantasy 8 twice.

:|