Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Are you afraid to be Alone in the 2Dark?

Over three years in the making, and finally Frédérick Raynal's new game is ready. He is the guy behind such old classics like the original and best Alone in The Dark, Little Big Adventure 1&2, Time Commando, Toy Commander and Toy Racer. This is basically his first true lead developed real game since the year 2000 and I'm super hyped about this release date announcement. The game was originally a backer project as it was listed in Ulule where people could back the game. As far as I understand, Ulule is like French version of Kickstarter?

They've been working on this at his Gloomywood studio since 2014. I've been following the progress of the project in on/off basis. They had a option to pre-order the game and even have a limited edition, but I haven't bought it since I'll just get the regular version when it launches.

2DARK_PS4_Collector_EN.jpg

Name of the game is a really weak in my opinion, it's called 2Dark, but the game itself gives me that same kind of feeling that AitD did +20 years ago. There are some screenshots on the game's website so you can get a feel what does it look like.

Story is: 

2Dark is a unique mix of stealth, horror and adventure game, conceived by Frédérick Raynal, the creative force behind Alone in the Dark™.

In 2Dark, you guide former detective Mr. Smith in his quest to find and free his kidnapped children in the sinister and macabre town of Gloomywood. During your rescue, you must avoid sadistic and bloodthirsty serial killers, and you will be called on to confront unnameable horrors lurking in the shadows. Discover the terrifying secrets that linger in this accursed town...

The game will launch March 17th on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. I didn't even know that they were working on the console versions, I had thought it's initially coming only to PC.

Looks intriguing, the view/light cone reminds me of Monaco (though obviously way different style). 

I'll be curious to see if it actually pulls off horror well.  I can't think of many top down games that I felt actually pulled off real horror, the perspective I think makes it a lot more challenging. 

Oh wow I had no idea this was happening. The original Alone in the Dark, plus the two LBA titles, are some of my all-time most important and influential games. For some reason my dad bought me AITD when I was way too young and it gave me nightmares for years - perhaps it still does. I sometimes think it could be one of the most atmospheric games ever made. And the LBA games were just so charming - often super frustrating, of course, but also incredibly ambitious and unique for their time.

2Dark isn't procedurally generated, is it? The homepage doesn't seem to suggest as much but it's not very clear. With a few exceptions - well, Spelunky - I need a fixed campaign of some sort to get through this kind of thing. 

Also my goodness the art style is, er, bloody. Amused to note they named the bad guy 'Delicatessen Lewis' after the Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie, though.

I don't know if I'm the biggest fan of the art style but I'm such a huge fan of the original Alone in the Dark that I'll probably end up getting it anyway unless the reviews are really bad. I like how the gameplay sounds. I'm really hoping it's not another roguelike though.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:21 PM, Ben X said:

Altwo In The Dark

This was my best joke ever and no one acknowledged it :(

edit: WOAH, where the hell is angry tomato sadface?!

I was hoping it would somehow be a bit Little Big Adventure but he could still make some other game in that style. I don't think this is a game I would enjoy.

Dev Diary #1 with a dubbed Frederick Raynal talking about the reasons why he wanted to make the game.

It's released!

It seems that the game is getting a lot of bad comments because of the use of Denuvo and backers in Ulule were promised a DRM free version. There is no GOG version planned for example. Only the publisher has commented on this and they say it was their decision to put Denuvo.

Game pricing is also wild, normal price is 25 dollars/euros, discount now is to 20 dollars/euros, but then for example in Brazil, Russia and China apparently it's close to a full price AAA game and way more expensive than in other countries.

Not that many reviews up, that's something I really don't like about this publisher Big Ben Interactive, because they have not sent promotional material to any news sites, I wonder do people even know that Frederick Raynal has a game out now. Also there are no reviews out, I can guess because publisher did not send any review copies out.

Dev Diary #2 is up. This time about the voxel graphics and about the music.

I have one of those PS4 boxed sets coming from Europe any day now, but I'm not positive I will be able to get to it soon. I hope it's good even if there's mixed reviews.