theschap

Simple solution to leaderboards in your games.

In my recent Wizard Jam 4 entry "Clone-Ridden Fields" I wanted to implement a leaderboard system, but I didn't want to spend too much time developing it, and I find phpmyadmin super confusing so I went on a quest for another solution.

I happened across this site:

http://dreamlo.com/developer

Following the tutorial series linked below, I was able to get an online leaderboard in my game very very quickly. The tutorial uses Unity as an example, but the dreamlo site should work for just about anything.

I hope this helps people with their own projects. I imagine you could use it for non-leaderboard purposes but I don't know what kind of latency there is in the system. Rounds last about a minute in my game, and I've never had a dropped submission.

Happy deving!

Why did you make this?
I'm a big fan of Unity3D. I saw some forum posts where users were asking how to have high scores for their mobile games. I felt it was such a hassle for someone to host a website, MySQL server, know some PHP, etc. just to have a centralized place for something so simple.

This is sorta confusing...Android and iOS both host their own leaderboards via the Google Play Games / Game Center. I don't know why you'd spend the time writing your own, or relying on random 3rd party.

4 hours ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

This is sorta confusing...Android and iOS both host their own leaderboards via the Google Play Games / Game Center. I don't know why you'd spend the time writing your own, or relying on random 3rd party.

My only guess is it's old enough to where that wasn't around or at least common? That would be pretty old at this point, though. Or he only talks to blackberry devs.

Yeah, that is a bit strange. It was perfect for someone like me doing a game jam game. I can see a lot of value it it for more temporary projects, but I don't think I would personally use it for a product I planned to release and sell.

I know I'd prefer not to be reliant on either Google or Apple for anything. Replacing that dependency with some random dude's server isn't really an upgrade either though, probably.