Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Weekend February 13, 2017: Stat Decay

Idle Weekend February 13, 2017:

Idle Weekend February 13, 2017

Stat Decay
This weekend, we get too real about aging, athleticism, and the brutal pain of stat decay, in games and in real life. But don't worry, we manage to have some fun too. And we apologize for the lower-than-usual sound quality—to make up for it, there's a post-episode mini-gush about how much we want to wear cowboy hats and watch Westerns together.

Discussed: Punch Club, Pitch, Sid Meier's Pirates, Overwatch, A Normal Lost Phone, Emily is Away, Tombstone, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Really enjoy the cast as always and I don't mean to be flippant, but I'm just going leave these instructions here in case other readers are, like myself, looking for a... less ambitious stereo mix :) 

1. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

2.01Preferences.GIF.7feaa02f0100ef5fc094b7022fa1bf06.GIF

(Make sure you have the "All" option selected in the lower left hand corner of the preferences window to see the detailed settings)

3.02DirectXOutput.GIF.214b5b1bfcd1e32892ae69ce87dc5170.GIF

4.03MonoSetting.GIF.2ff24c7c929029b81dc51ebed6f9b82f.GIF

5. Save these settings and restart VLC. Reopen the cast and you should once again hear a delightfully centered Danielle and Rob :) 

+1 to previous post.  While the idea of stereo separation to get a sense of presence is good in theory, 100% separation may sound ok to good on physical speakers, listening with headphones is rough... sometimes I listen with just one earbud in my ear (and thus only get one side of the conversation), and when I'm not, having a lot of noise in one side but none in the other makes your sound-space feel lopsided, and makes you turn the volume up a lot louder to compensate, so I end up with a ring on the side that talked more.

Maybe 60/40 or 70/30 plus some spatialization rather than just pure left-right dump. :)

I'm listening anyway, but hoping I can find a way to play in mono in my podcast app!

Thanks for the 'cast, don't want to criticize, but wanted to be sure to mention that this hurts. ;)

-James

Hey folks! I'm not sure if the stereo separation was intentional this week or not but I went ahead and baked it down to mono and reuploaded it. So if you refresh your feed and redownload the file, it should be a bit more comfortable.

Man the western talk brought me back to my childhood, I can't remember how many I've seen at family gatherings or with my father.  If you're looking for weird westerns, I highly recommend My name is nobody.It often manages to go from weird or flippant to sincere within the same scene, and feels like one of those movies that could only exist as a western.

I'm honestly quite surprised we don't see more western games, particularly based on how influenced they are by Japanese films which seem to have influenced a whole host of game genres.  I wonder if the cowboy fantasy just doesn't have as much traction outside the US, or perhaps it's just been replaced with a more modern and militaristic one.

This episode prompted me to check out Legion, and I'm glad I did.  The incidental music sounded very familiar and I couldn't put my finger on it...until one of the main characters was named as Sydney Barrett.