Jake

Idle Thumbs: A Patreon

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:34 AM, SL128 said:

Wait, how has nobody posted this yet? This is what content is made of!

My favorite part is Nick's portrait in the background, which I didn't even notice the first time.

3 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

My favorite part is Nick's portrait in the background, which I didn't even notice the first time.

I didn't realize until I'd watched it a few times that it's a live video recording for the entire duration.

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

I didn't realize until I'd watched it a few times that it's a live video recording for the entire duration.

I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye in the general direction of Weinhandler Nick's portrait at the end of my first viewing.  I immediately restarted the video and was absurdly pleased at Nick's Vigo the Carpathian imitation.

Do you send postcards internationally? I do try to avoid collecting stuff, but Jake's designs are always rad! I have no idea how much it costs in US. If it's anything like here in Finland, a dollar or two more would surely cover the international postage.

3 hours ago, unimural said:

Do you send postcards internationally? I do try to avoid collecting stuff, but Jake's designs are always rad! I have no idea how much it costs in US. If it's anything like here in Finland, a dollar or two more would surely cover the international postage.

We do! It didn't seem like there was an easy way to manage international shopping costs through Patreon tiers, but they're only postcards so the additional postage should be a dollar more at max anyway, unless I did a bad job researching this.

Hey I'm curious about the postcards. I don't want to spoil anything, but mine has a choose-your-own-adventure style option at the end, for "node 12" or "node 43." Is this unique? Am I supposed to work with other readers to reveal other nodes, or should I just wait for the next postcard on my own? I am intrigued and confused.

5 hours ago, Turgid said:

Hey I'm curious about the postcards. I don't want to spoil anything, but mine has a choose-your-own-adventure style option at the end, for "node 12" or "node 43." Is this unique? Am I supposed to work with other readers to reveal other nodes, or should I just wait for the next postcard on my own? I am intrigued and confused.

Who's to say?

(edit: just wait for now)

4 minutes ago, Apelsin said:

If I jump onto the post card train now will I be hopelessly lost? 

Yeah, that's been a concern that's been dogging me, too.

I would like to figure out a way to allow people to jump on, without also making existing patrons feel like their early adoption had no point. We'll think it over!

Oh man, these postcards sound so exciting, so I just upgraded my pledge! Hope I won't be hopelessly lost.

On 5/2/2017 at 2:21 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

Is the April Ruination stream going to be released in audio format like the March one was?

I hope so!

Hey guys, I've been around forever (seriously... started listening the Idle Thumbs podcast in the first few episodes) but have amazingly never posted on the forums so far.

Anyways... I did the whole Patreon postcard catch-up thing... and I got four postcards.  These are AWESOME by the way, I love it.  So much Idle Thumbs goodness packed into a little 4 x 5.5 inch (roughly... I measured) piece of paper.  Are there four postcards total so far? . I was wondering if I'm missing a card..,  I was able the get the last three in a definite order because the choices at the end of those cards matches up with story on the next, it kind of felt like maybe there was something between the first and second ones I have?  Although... one does end with..  "At this, I..."  and the next starts with "At this, I..." so... that sounds pretty solid.

Oh well, I have literally for years been wanting to say how much I love Idle Thumbs and all the stuff you guys do.  I've been here through podcast starts and stops... Kickstarters and Patreons... the whole deal.

There have been 4 so far, there's been one per month, starting in March 2017. I'll describe a bit of my story (spoilers!):

Spoiler

Postcard 1 starts "Incredulous, I took a step toward the wreckage" and ends with options to access node 12 or node 43.

My Postcard 2, which I presume is node 43, starts "At this, I extended my arm for a handshake" and the protagonist is given a gun. He proceeds to search the scene, and finds in the mud some disturbing remains.

Postcard 3 is apparently node 142, and Postcard 4 is node 322. So far the only clues the protagonist has stumbled upon are the aforementioned remains, and the number 45, which was given without context.

So I don't think you're missing any, the jump from 1 to 2 was somewhat vague in my case as well. Though to be fair I still have no idea what is going on in general. There's just not enough context to make sense of the story yet, I hope. Is anyone else having better luck?

Yup, actually all of my cards are exactly the same as yours so far; your description and the nodes match up.

Has anybody else gotten something different?

Is there a discussion about this going on somewhere else maybe?

3 hours ago, AnalogHole said:

Yup, actually all of my cards are exactly the same as yours so far; your description and the nodes match up.

Has anybody else gotten something different?

Is there a discussion about this going on somewhere else maybe?

People have definitely gotten different stories. And yep it seems like you're caught up so far. There's been some discussion in the #postcardconspiracy channel of the Idle Thumbs Reader Slack: 

I assume the $3.5k stream is (or streams are) going to be delayed to September?

In whatever case, thanks for continuing to cast the good pods.

Hi Thumbs. This may be the wrong place for this. If so, please let me know and I will remove/move it.

A few years ago there were some postcards sent out to patreon backers. It has a lovely picture of a girl sitting on a stack of books on the moon with a puffin nearby. I love this postcard, and I've used it as a bookmark ever since. I noticed recently that the puffin is getting really worn. I would love to get a new one, so I can properly frame it and not ruin it with my disgusting human hands. Maybe someone has one lying around that they wouldn't mind selling me. Another option might be to find out who drew the art in the first place, so I could purchase it from them? Thanks for any help or suggestions!