evilskillit

IdleMC Epoch 7.5 Final Prologue GOTY Edition

If ever people want a modded minecraft server, I could create a modpack that people could just download, or it could live on technic or curse or something as a private modpack. I was just thinking today that there is some quality of life stuff that I miss, and that there might be a good balance between the kitchen sink approach and vanilla where it's just fleshing out the late game, maybe adding stuff after iron tools that isn't just magic (I think enchanting tools and making potions being the only late-game tech is bullshit) to increase productivity. 

So if it's ever just a matter of it being a pain in the ass to install mods, I know a way where it's just a install button on a mod loader, and you don't have to worry about updating mods or anything. I used to roll my own modpacks because I used to have very strong opinions about mods, it's simple once you know how. I'm told that modded minecraft on a server is a ton of fun, it can allow people to specialize more than in vanilla, where eventually everyone has the exact same stuff and it's everything.

Also, thanks to whoever magicked those name tags into my inventory, pigmen watch continues. I will save him.

Well, for me, the main issue with mods is not the ease of installing them en masse,  it's the fact that I have to downgrade to get access to the best mods - which means sacrificing the shiniest features from the latest version. It may be a dumb thing to worry about, but it's always been the point at which I give up.

THAT SAID: client mods.

Last time I tried to do this was like two video cards ago, but I installed Optifine HD and Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders, and my god the game looks completely different! (I also installed my favorite texture pack: Jolicraft. Never could stand the default textures.) Arguably it goes a little too far, but I'm really enjoying it. The shadows are so smooth! The lighting! Oh boy!

I spent a lot of hours trying to finish step two of my project, but was JUST short of enough sand to turn into glass to fill in the holes. ):

Once I finish that, though, I might do some dungeon-diving. That used to be my favorite thing to do in Minecraft, and now enough of it is New since last time I did it, I think I might like it a lot again. Also it's just been a long, long time.

TURNS OUT I'M STILL INTO MINECRAFT.

Honestly, I don't think there is a single feature I've found in vanilla after a years long absence that isn't either replicated or done better in a mod for 1.7.10, except perhaps some of the more baked-in world gen stuff. Playing vanilla now feels incredibly limited to me, which is interesting in its own way.

There are a number of mods that have made the jump to the current version, not nearly as many as there are for 1.7.10, but a lot of those are basically abandoned anyway. The Microsoft sale did weird things to the mod community, but it's recovering now.

I completed the construction of my tower!

2017-02-21_22_17_35.thumb.png.93d9833ec2b8b0544d8e0ff991f562ad.png

There's not much inside right now, but I did make a decorative design on the first floor to welcome visitors. Don't worry if your eyes start to numb when crossing it, that's probably just your imagination.

2017-02-21_22_31_32.thumb.png.e332bf1cc49e7313252177467adb5aa4.png

If you climb all the way to the top, there's an observation deck, with a view of the draw distance surrounding area.

2017-02-21_22_37_23.thumb.png.343a4444940f64ef0167c2a654657195.png

2017-02-21_22_38_38.thumb.png.58bcb77b04d99fa1eb7f9e6407df898d.png

And to keep the hordes at bay, the setting of the sun activates a protective lava flow.

2017-02-21_22_30_52.thumb.png.45fab71d1bf313ef79d0a2ecb69fba18.png

My box canyon mosaic work is mostly completed, at least from the intended viewing point. It features basic knitting patterns and a slouchy tryzub, but it's somewhat impressive. My main goals there now are finishing out the dirt embankments, planting realistic looking trees around it and possibly topping it off with glass, though I don't like that idea so much.
I03Gl6h.png

I also redid the spawn area, making it more of a fully featured base/community use area. I moved the enchanting table from the farm area and made an enchanting room/anvil room inside, added a bunch of chests for newbie stuff and stocked them as best I could, just needing more food and torches at this point I think. From here all I want to do is add an observation tower, a link to a future subway hub, and some general interior decorating.
1NPVp5S.png

just FYI for y'all: by default F1 will remove your item bar and whatever you're holding in your hand. useful because F2 takes screenshots of everything on screen and you can get clean shots of everything. F3 will pop up location data in XYZ format and you can screenshot that as well if you want to remember where someplace is and are afraid of dying/forgetting/getting lost. Spawn point is around -19X, 252Z.

this was neat to find from where I was exploring.

2017-02-22_20_44_30.thumb.png.dcb2e96f9188e6b00aaa480925da85cd.png

it casts this beautiful shadow.

2017-02-22_20_45_41.thumb.png.497f22a424ceb0e5667ece98e18a0c91.png

1 hour ago, neonrev said:

My box canyon mosaic work is mostly completed

this is really neat and reminds of Nazca lines or Celtic chalk figures.

Wow! Some impressive creations going up in the server!

Haven't played in years. But it seems like my Minecraft account still works - could someone please add Beasteh_uk to the whitelist? Would like to walk around and maybe contribute...

1 hour ago, Beasteh said:

Wow! Some impressive creations going up in the server!

Haven't played in years. But it seems like my Minecraft account still works - could someone please add Beasteh_uk to the whitelist? Would like to walk around and maybe contribute...

I added you just now, you should be able to get in. If not let us know. :)

On 2/23/2017 at 5:29 AM, neonrev said:

I also redid the spawn area, making it more of a fully featured base/community use area. I moved the enchanting table from the farm area and made an enchanting room/anvil room inside, added a bunch of chests for newbie stuff and stocked them as best I could, just needing more food and torches at this point I think. From here all I want to do is add an observation tower, a link to a future subway hub, and some general interior decorating.
1NPVp5S.png

Nice, except most the area is protected, people cannot get the free stuff from the chests.

Yeah when I first started I couldn't get stuff from the free chest either. Didn't bother me much though since I wanted to build sorta far away from other stuff. (Good job finding my circle, Sarge! The shadow made by the circle looks really really cool with the shader mod I've got. It slides across the terrain so smoothly. Ahhhh.)

On 2/22/2017 at 8:48 AM, Jutranjo said:

I added a sign to your tower's lobby.

Hmm...

2017-02-23_20_06_08.thumb.png.5b0a6b82e0397e29f872ae4374ee2422.png

2017-02-23_20_05_21.thumb.png.9933fc81076a0026cea1893ecf21b807.png

2017-02-23_20_14_42.thumb.png.6e5807443d1b0939865f99b5aac82d18.png

Haha, nice. I'm not really worried about others exploring or expanding the mine. Plus, you found an underground ravine, which is a generation feature that I really enjoy for some reason.

I've been exploring! Far north of past the village and even past the lake tower there's a patch of desert with a small steading.

2017-03-03_16_00_56.thumb.png.b100739725a87d3cd1494f2204687b45.png

Just north-east of there is a beautiful savanna teeming with wild horses. I've brought back and planted acacia trees in town, which produce an orange wood plank.

2017-03-03_16_02_51.thumb.png.8f79a4772ebcd4d1e94574cc1a94fabe.png

I got turned about on my way back and ended up finding a small hill village not too far north-west of our own, and just south of that this imposing cliff face with a forest looming atop in the distance:

2017-03-03_16_24_53.thumb.png.40e64fc622f717eb15a3f492ff20e1a0.png

I'm returning back to the savanna sometime soon, as I spotted some horses with golden manes and hope to add one to our own pasture.

2.PNG.e6cb945a9efd1191631ec6b38040b93f.PNG

I just joined today, spent probably an hour or more just walking through all your buildings. I was blown away. Really cool stuff.

So I wasn't the only one having trouble with the free chests (and the enchanting table, grr).

Also bumped into SgtWhistlebotom while out gathering wood, so far the only human contact I've had! Still, it's been good to walk around and see what people have built - some massive structures in the village, put up impressively quick.

Sorry I'll try to fix the chests in the noob area. I tried over the weekend but the command that's supposed to fix it didn't seem to fix it. I'll try some more this week.

Hi Minecrafters, skillit here.

Just wanted to let you know that I've got to move the Minecraft server from my old house to my new house. I'm not sure when it'll happen, maybe tonight, I dunno. When I do the Minecraft server will be down for a couple of hours or maybe a day, but not permanently. I'll keep it running for the foreseeable future as it doesn't cost me anything. @neonrev is really interested in doing some modded servers, and I'm willing to oblige, so that might be in the pipe for the upcoming weeks after the server moves. I'm going from a 20mbps-up cable connection to 1000mbps-up fiber so if anything hopefully it runs even better! :D

2 hours ago, evilskillit said:

I'm going from a 20mbps-up cable connection to 1000mbps-up fiber so if anything hopefully it runs even better! :D

I'm so happy for you... So happy...

Thanks @Vulpes Absurda :D

Ok the server seems to have survived the move from the old house to the new one. I was able to connect but since I also live here that doesn't necessarily prove anything. I THINK I've got the port forwarding rules set up. If someone wants to test the server and let me know, if you have any problems reach out to me here or at evilskillit at yahoo dawt kom.

-evilskillit

Server was down for slightly unplanned maintenance for a bit, it's back up now. It turns out that computer really wants to have a grounded electrical outlet or things get interesting when you touch it.

@neonrev So when are we gonna do this mod biz? Do we need to have some sort of poll to see what people want or something?