Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Battlestar Galactica (BSG) and spinoffs

So we've started watching Battlestar Galactica the other day. I gotta say, TP2k1, the existence of your list was a great encouragement to biting bullets here. It helps outline the scope and order and everything.

However, I can't say I will be overeager to watch the chronological order over the order in which the episodes have been made (where applicable), tho. It makes more sense to be as dramatically ignorant as the creators want you to be at any given point in the story.

LUKE I AM YOUR FATHER

makes for a groanworthy revelation if you've watched the whole series chronologically for some reason. I realize that that probably doesn't happen here, otherwise you prolly wouldn't have organized the list as you have. But still.

So we've started watching Battlestar Galactica the other day. I gotta say, TP2k1, the existence of your list was a great encouragement to biting bullets here. It helps outline the scope and order and everything.

However, I can't say I will be overeager to watch the chronological order over the order in which the episodes have been made (where applicable), tho. It makes more sense to be as dramatically ignorant as the creators want you to be at any given point in the story.

LUKE I AM YOUR FATHER

makes for a groanworthy revelation if you've watched the whole series chronologically for some reason. I realize that that probably doesn't happen here, otherwise you prolly wouldn't have organized the list as you have. But still.

I totally agree, but it's not the case with BSG. It's your choice, though. Watch them in the broadcast order if you like (I hope it's clear what that it is from my list -- let me know if it's not) and get back to me afterwards. I'd be interested in your opinions if you go down that route.

(It's worth noting that I watched them in broadcast order first... and then wished I hadn't, which is why the list stands in the way it does at the moment.)

(It's worth noting that I watched them in broadcast order first... and then wished I hadn't, which is why the list stands in the way it does at the moment.)

Interesting! I'll think about this. There is plenty of time before we have to make a choice. We've just watched the pilot and the first couple of episodes at this point.

So far I am really curious what they're going to do with religious robots, if anything, and, as always, I wish there was more un-honkey people in space.

Two more things: I really like the choice of music, it makes me think of Civilization and it somewhat offsets the honkeyness of the whole thing. I really hate the paper format that everyone uses. Whoever invented that format has never folded a book from scratch. The colonial civilization's production of paper wastes 20% of their output to little triangular pieces that I hope they burn for fuel or something. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Two more things: I really like the choice of music, it makes me think of Civilization and it somewhat offsets the honkeyness of the whole thing. I really hate the paper format that everyone uses. Whoever invented that format has never folded a book from scratch. The colonial civilization's production of paper wastes 20% of their output to little triangular pieces that I hope they burn for fuel or something. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Heh, that was an artifact from the pilot. Someone thought it would look cool and they were stuck with it for the rest of the show. They realized later that it was a stupid thing but couldn't easily fix it anymore.

Heh, that was an artifact from the pilot. Someone thought it would look cool and they were stuck with it for the rest of the show. They realized later that it was a stupid thing but couldn't easily fix it anymore.

Hehe, really? I've wondered. I tried to come up with a decent reason for them, but I couldn't. I guess it's just "the style". Like the fact that people wear their tank tops backward. Try not to notice! :grin:

Hehe, really? I've wondered. I tried to come up with a decent reason for them, but I couldn't. I guess it's just "the style". Like the fact that people wear their tank tops backward. Try not to notice! :grin:

Son of a...! I can never unsee that now. I always felt like there was something up but it really is just that they're wearing them backwards, isn't it?

Its wasteful and illogical, but it did give all the paper a really distinctive look. It of course bites with the 'this is not some Star Trek bullshit!' attitude that the series creator's were going for, but whatever.

Just recently started watching BG, loving it so far.... and one more post for me!

BSG is something you "love?" Are you sure it's not "neat," person who totally isn't a spammer trying to reach the post limit to create a new topic?

Battlestar Gallactica update! We decided to follow your playlist, TP2K1, like obliging guinea pigs. So now we've wrapped up the extended Razor and have watched the Downloaded episode.

Man, the show really picks up again when Admiral Cain shows up, and I am really digging the symmetrical insanity between Gaius and his #6. I am also glad they decided to improve upon the obnoxious-as-fuck "toaster" slur at this point. Good riddance.

So so far we've identified the following cylons, help me put numbers on them because I don't feel like looking this up on the interwebs:

• The journalist lady — #3

• Sharon — #8

• Slick PR dude — #5?

• The mindfuck guy who gets everyone all good and paranoid — #?

• The black doctor dude — #?

Have we identified any other ones at this point? Will we learn who all of the 12 are in the course of the rest of the show?

Also, I used to work with a dude who was the spitting image of #5—right down to the pristine 50s do, the penchant for fruity Little Prince-style blazers, weird mouth mannerisms and always flirty eyes. Now that I look at these, I have never seen the dude smile like that outside of photos.

Battlestar Gallactica update! We decided to follow your playlist, TP2K1, like obliging guinea pigs. So now we've wrapped up the extended Razor and have watched the Downloaded episode.

Man, the show really picks up again when Admiral Cain shows up, and I am really digging the symmetrical insanity between Gaius and 6.

Ooh, cool! How did you find the placement of Razor then? Works well where I've suggested, I think.

So so far we've identified the following cylons, help me put numbers on them because I don't feel like looking this up on the interwebs:

• The journalist lady — #3

• Sharon — #8

• Slick PR dude — #5?

• The mindfuck guy who gets everyone all good and paranoid — #?

• The black doctor dude — #?

Have we identified any other ones at this point? Will we learn who all of the 12 are in the course of the rest of the show?

Yes, you will learn who they all are in time, but I wouldn't worry about the actual numbering (the show gets very vague about the numbers later on).

The placement works fine, I just wish the Cain story line wasn't already mostly known to us. It seems like they were rehashing a bunch of the stuff in there, that they didn't necessarily have to. On the other hand, I am watching all of this stuff back to back to back, so it is all far fresher in my mind than it would be if I were watching stuff while it was being broadcast.

I just watched the entire Battlestar Galactica (+ Razor) in less than two weeks. What an awesome series. In my opinion one of the best things TV has produced.

Every episode managed to keep the tension, except for maybe one or two. It did it so well that I didn't fall asleep until about 4 in the morning every day.

The ending

went a bit far in tying it to our world I think, but it was a good ending.

I just watched the entire Battlestar Galactica (+ Razor) in less than two weeks. What an awesome series. In my opinion one of the best things TV has produced.

Yet another series I have an interest in. I keep hearing it's depressing, so I've never bothered. The kinda-depressing trailers and the ridiculous choir that's the music for them hasn't encouraged me to watch it either.

Is it that depressing?

I am wrapping up the series as well with TP2K1's list. I still have to watch Caprica.

BSG really does strange, welcome, new things with politics and the behavior of the masses. It does take a while to fully deliver and it could easily be edited down to remove a length of one whole season to create something that is of the density of The Wire, storytellingwise.

I dunno if I care too much about everything being wrapped up with a god-done-it.

For me, battlestar was full of great moments, and some great characters(I got into it late as well) But ultimately it took a strange turn, with some really bizarre storylines, and bad plots that didn't really fit the characters they established.

Battlestar Gallactica didn't feel like they were making it up as they went along. The whole thing somewhat loosely parallels the Bible.

I'm sure they had a framework in mind, but the as-they-go aspect clearly shows in how character arcs spin wildly out of control (Baltar) or events that are set up as incredibly important (the opera scene) are forgotten as the show progresses. B5 would never have allowed such a thing to happen.

I'm sure they had a framework in mind, but the as-they-go aspect clearly shows in how character arcs spin wildly out of control (Baltar) or events that are set up as incredibly important (the opera scene) are forgotten as the show progresses. B5 would never have allowed such a thing to happen.

I haven't watched the end of BSG, just got to the point where he was playing a messiah, but I had to agree, they tried making him Marx for awhile(and I was pretty giddy with that) then immediately changed him to jesus the next season over... so I think there was a bit of trial and error going on.

There seems to be a new BSG thing:

A0ixAkA5bng

Apparently, after Caprica but before the series. Best thing about it being a prequel:

No mystical bollocks deus ex machina?