Chris

Important If True: Show Announcement Teaser

10 minutes ago, cooljammer00 said:

If I,IT is going to use the same email address Idle Thumbs used (questions [at] idle thumbs dot net), do you want us to stop sending in video game related questions, or....?

On the latest Idle Thumbs ep they say to keep sending in game questions there since Bag Blasts are fun and easy.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Please just keep saying thumbs. It'll work!

Looking forward to the future reader mail from someone who's not familiar with the show's history wonders why you're Thumbs.

1 hour ago, cooljammer00 said:

If I,IT is going to use the same email address Idle Thumbs used (questions [at] idle thumbs dot net), do you want us to stop sending in video game related questions, or....?

Nope, on the most recent Idle Thumbs episode we asked readers to keep on sending in video game mail. For now we'll just sort it ourselves. If it turns out to be a problem we'll figure something else out.

Anyone else really amused that Jake's terminator fan theory is essentially the ending of Mass Effect 3? Advanced civilizations continue to be wiped out by their creations after the creations inevitably achieve sentience.

The podcast description made me fear there'd be a too strict theme and/or format but the teaser sounds like good ol' Thumbs without the pretense of being about video games :tup:

Am I wrong in thinking that Important If True might occasionally talk about video games if something sufficiently dumb and amusing happens in the world of video games? It seems like the discussion of whether Wario = Older Mario would have counted as "delving into some of the more fascinating, bizarre, and stupid things going on in entertainment, pop culture, and technology" and is Important, If True.

Yeah, can we get a truth table for the statement "entertainment, pop culture, and technology" to clear up any confusion. Is that an AND, XOR or OR statement? Thanks

40 minutes ago, Urthman said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Important If True might occasionally talk about video games if something sufficiently dumb and amusing happens in the world of video games? It seems like the discussion of whether Wario = Older Mario would have counted as "delving into some of the more fascinating, bizarre, and stupid things going on in entertainment, pop culture, and technology" and is Important, If True.

Mainly, the thing we're not planning on doing is "Here's what I've been watching/playing/reading, and some impressions about it." I'm sure if someone had some notable observation about a game that could actually turn out into a discussion that means something beyond the specific literal content of the game, particularly if it's something that's actually explicable without going into a ton of mechanical or lore detail, it would be fair game. In the most recent Thumbs episode, for instance, I think the Dr. Mario bit is an example of that.

I like the concept and the teaser a lot. Looking forward to the first full episode! :tup:

On 11/02/2017 at 0:37 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

Very critical question: To whom do we address mail?  We can't rightly call you Thumbs on this podcast so we'll need to come up with a new salutation.

Truthers

19 hours ago, Flay said:

Truthers

Pretty sure Important If Truthers are the audience of this show. We declared that as canon off mic.

Very excited for all the Truth coming down the chute. I am always trying to get more people into the show and I'm excited for the new and broader context. :tup:

Going to be an exciting day today, the first episode of the new show comes out.

IT#300 was amazing in Twitch so you guys will be on a roll this week blasting most likely two amazing shows in two days since #300 comes out tomorrow in final form with Sean included and the Jake's weird monstrosity. :tup:

Wasn't sure where to post feedback, so why not here...

Disclaimer: I've only listened to the first two episodes so far.

I've been an Idle Thumbs (podcast) reader since just about the beginning, starting with episode 8. I wasn't surprised by the Important If True announcement. It was pretty clear that being beholden to a video game theme was chafing against my favorite podcast hosts. IIT seems like a natural move, and I totally support it.

That said, I'm a bit disappointed by the two episodes I've listened to so far. The show just feels like one massive tangent, with very little anchoring the discussion. That's probably fine for a lot of people, but the biggest reason I fell in love with the original podcast was the weird balance between thoughtful criticism and absurd humor. With only the latter, Important If True feels like all sugar and no substance. It's fun to hear all about ant parasites and bee-driven cars, but my ears are crying out for some of that classic Thumbs insight alongside all the weirdo trivia.

Hope you guys take this as its intended: as constructive criticism for a show I very much want to love. ^_^

<3

I'm hoping that the Thumbs will start to introduce more "I've been watching/reading/playing/doing" discussions as they go, as I agree that a mix of thoughtful crit and tangents a little closer to IT would be nice. I enjoyed the unpaid endorsements for that reason. (Witness has been on my watchlist for ages, really must get to it!)