Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

Fantasy Casting

I just thought of Wes Anderson doing an Agatha Christie style English country house whodunnit murder mystery and now it is literally all I can think about. It won't leave my brain. Surely it's a genre of fiction that leans into all his strengths. Surely Anderson could attract a murderer's row of character actors for a film like that. Surely it'd be the greatest thing ever and make me so very very happy.

These sorts of thoughts cross my mind sometimes and don't leave. You ever fantasy cast the perfect project for a director or actor (or fantasy case a director or actor for a certain property) and get mad that your fantasies don't come true?

Except sometimes they do, kinda. After seeing Myth of the American Sleepover I thought "This was really interesting, but what I really want is for this director to take this tone and transfer it to a horror film or something like that. Something along the lines of Charles Burns' Black Hole, involving teenagers and sexual tension and a slightly surreal tone." The next film that director made was It Follows. It was awesome, I felt totally vindicated.

For a long time I've really wanted John C Reilly to star in a biopic on Richard Simmons.  And not as a joke, like a serious movie that I think could actually be really good.  If you read any articles about Richard Simmons these days they're pretty sad and dark and I think John C Reilly could do it really well.

20 hours ago, TheLastBaron said:

For a long time I've really wanted John C Reilly to star in a biopic on Richard Simmons.  And not as a joke, like a serious movie that I think could actually be really good.  If you read any articles about Richard Simmons these days they're pretty sad and dark and I think John C Reilly could do it really well.

This is an amazing idea if you had the right director. 

David O. Russell feels like the obvious pick these days but I'm sure there are cleverer ideas.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:40 PM, Patrick R said:

I just thought of Wes Anderson doing an Agatha Christie style English country house whodunnit murder mystery and now it is literally all I can think about. It won't leave my brain. Surely it's a genre of fiction that leans into all his strengths. Surely Anderson could attract a murderer's row of character actors for a film like that. Surely it'd be the greatest thing ever and make me so very very happy.

This is only vaguely related (its a mystery in a building with a lot of rooms and a lot of people) but Wes Anderson doing The Westing Game would make me happy, especially post-Grand Budapest, which is light in the way that (for-kids) book is.