Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Marvel Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.)

33 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I feel really unexcited about Iron Fist. And I'm not even worried about missing out on anything. I feel like we'll be alright to just head into Defenders without it. Like you said - maybe just read Wikipedia.

The Arrowverse et al, I've watched a bit. Like, very little bit. But I enjoy those shows more than I thought I would. At least from the little bit I've seen. (I'm still on season one of all those shows, so take that into consideration). Arrow is cooler than I expected. Kind of feels like a poor man's Daredevil x Iron Man or something. And Flash is pretty fun. Supergirl is actually my favorite of the lot by a long shot. It just feels unique. It's like... I don't know if you took Devils Wears Prada and made it a super hero show. It balances as a sort of office comedy/drama thing really well with Supergirl then kicking ass. And then you've got Legends Of Tomorrow which I feel like is really bad but in a fun way. It's actually pretty stupid and feels SyFy quality. But again, still kind of fun. But not good.

Again, I feel similarly.  I'm on Season 2 of Arrow and haven't watched any of the rest except for the first episode of Flash (I'm attempting to watch them in a "chronological" order).  They're super comic book soap opera and it's a huge contrast to the Netflix stuff but I'm having fun with it.  Arrow at least is gritty in that he straight up kills people (at least in the beginning) but because it's a network show and therefore subject to broadcast standards there's not the buckets of blood and guts the Netflix shows seems to revel in.  It's full of conveniences and nonsensical logic but, as you said in a goofy SyFy kind of way that I haven't watched in a while.

Are the Arrowverse (god I hate that name) shows worth making a separate thread for?  I'd like to discuss them more but I'd rather not be talking to myself <insert Goldblum noise>.  I feel they should be kept separate from the Netflix stuff which is far different in tone and plot.

I *would* talk about them with you.... except I was too impatient to watch them in correct order, so instead I just started season one on all of them at roughly the same point. Which I know, I know is stupid because they overlap so I'm gonna spoil things or confuse myself. But eh, I just kind of felt like it.

Then there's the other DC shows. Like, Gotham. We really enjoyed the first season, and then kind of stalled out in the middle of the second.

Gotham doesn't interest me at all.  There's already enough Bat-media as it is.  I have no desire for more, even if Batman isn't technically in the show. 

Unless it's a Kevin Conroy voiced thing.  Then I can't get enough of it.

my wife is going through a heavy Batman obsession the past couple of years, so it was her idea to watch Gotham. I liked season one a lot, though. It was a neat idea - the whole Batman & Gang as kids thing. Season two I'm not crazy about though. They're starting to take some pretty big changes to characters that kind of stop it from being a possible 'prequel' series, and instead makes it just feel like some alternate reality where some characters happen to share names of other characters. That said, the acting is solid.

Gotham is half-awful, half-amazing. When they're taking their sweet time over characters like Riddler, Penguin and Bruce, it's great. When they're rushing full-pelt through stuff like Mr Freeze, Court Of Owls or James Gordon's moral rise and fall and rise and fall it reveals its clumsiness. I'd be interested in a DC thread, even though I gave up on Arrow after 6 episodes and Flash after 2 or 3.

BUT back on-topic to Marvel: I didn't enjoy Daredevil and gave up when Kingpin showed up after 6 episodes and didn't help at all, I loved the first few episodes of Luke Cage then it fell apart, and I loved Jessica Jones completely (the first ep was a bit of a struggle then it turned gold). I've watched 4 episodes of Iron Fist, and it's not as horrendous as I'd been led to expect, but it is so goddamn slow and meandering, moreso than even Daredevil. They could have got all this done in half the time. Also, I appreciate that the fight-scenes are meant to show him flowing through them, all "internal energy", but it does mean that they lack any weight and the direction doesn't manage to compensate for it a lot of the time.

Having run out of CW related shows, I've finally started Iron Fist.  This isn't actively bad like I feared it would be, but it's not good either.  Like Ben said, it's really slow and seems to lack a sense of direction.  The scenes take forever to tell you nothing of importance or interest.  I have no sense of the plot if there even is one other than "Hand do bad things".  The fights lack any real energy or excitement.  Daredevil fights were very kinetic and visceral, Jessica Jones few scenes show her emotion, Luke Cage was reluctant but determined.  Danny's fights feel like he's only there because he couldn't think of something better to do.  Even when he brings out the glowy fist I'm unimpressed.

The biggest redeeming factor to me is the female characters.  They are far superior to their male counterparts.  Colleen is way more interesting and sympathetic than Danny is.  Claire has been pretty great throughout each show.  Even Jeri Hogarth (Carrie Anne Moss's character) is kind of a badass considering she was mostly just an ass in Jessica Jones.  Joy is the only one who I'm not especially fond of, but at least she's willing to attempt to recognize her faults and fix them.

I finished Defenders I thought it was ok

, not as good as Luke Cage or Jessica Jones but not as bad as Iron Fist. I appreciated that it was a bit shorter than the other Marvel shows, which often felt like they had too many episodes. Sigourney Weaver was great IMO. The Hand mythos felt less hammy than it did in Daredevil, but i think fleshing them out more in Iron Fist helped some with that.  My main gripes were the overly choppy cut scenes, weirdly overdone scenes like the argument over the using the bomb just felt too long and kind of a stupid debate. Also a little confused because they teased Punisher in one of the trailers and he never showed aside from the post credits trailer.

Wonder what the explanation for Matt surviving will be

I also watched the Defenders and felt pretty much exactly the same way.  My personal order of preference is probably Jessica Jones > Daredevil > Luke Cage/Defenders >>>> Iron Fist.

Spoiler

I was kind of bummed that the side characters didn't have much involvement besides Stick, Colleen, Misty, and Claire.  I was sort of hoping they'd form a B-team and do some cool shit but instead they mostly just hung out in a room together.  I felt the plot resolution was a little weak too.  I was looking for more of a payoff with the giant hole.

One thing I liked was the scene where Luke tells Danny he's a privileged White kid who had power before he became the Iron Fist and maybe he should think about that.  Also all the Hand members telling Danny what a moron he is and that he's probably the shittiest Iron Fist they've seen.

Spoiler

I feel like they think elektra is interesting by virtue that she is elektra.  She is such a nothing character and this show suffered hard when she killed Alexandra and tried to be a big bad.  Basically they pulled the same switcheroo as luke cage and it was pretty lame again.  Otherwise...this show was fairly entertaining but nothing to write home about.

I also binged on The Defenders over the weekend, and I thought it was great! Possibly my fave out of the Netflix Marvel shows. I liked all the banter and the dynamic between the leads, and the fight scenes were overall quite good. Only gripes is the in the last couple episodes there was a tad too much

Spoiler

circlejerking with all the characters telling eachother how great and strong and brave they all are, and also Elektra kinda just felt like a walking plot-device and not a real person. Oh, and why does Daredevil have to magically come back to life? I like the character, but come on, show some backbone, TV show! Surely there's plenty of other Marvel characters they could have come in and fill those boots instead. I've never read the comics, but apparently a bunch of different characters have been in the group over the years. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_(comics))

As for my feelings about the other shows: Liked both Daredevil seasons. Luke Cage was ok. Tried, but couldn't get into Jessica Jones. Didn't even bother with Iron Fist.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:51 AM, Ben X said:

I didn't enjoy Daredevil and gave up when Kingpin showed up after 6 episodes and didn't help at all, I loved the first few episodes of Luke Cage then it fell apart, and I loved Jessica Jones completely (the first ep was a bit of a struggle then it turned gold). I've watched 4 episodes of Iron Fist, and it's not as horrendous as I'd been led to expect, but it is so goddamn slow and meandering, moreso than even Daredevil.

I pretty much gave up on Iron Fist after this. To prep for Defenders, I re-watched Jessica Jones (still great, and I noticed this time that taking the red pill turns Will Simpson into a raging dickhead - clever!) and watched the final episodes of the other three.

Now I've watched the first two episodes of Defenders and I shouldn't be surprised but it is another painfully slow one. First episode was

Spoiler

almost exclusively 'what have they been up to' exposition, plus an underwhelming earthquake

. Second episode was

Spoiler

mostly the separate characters brooding or chasing a lead on whatever arbitrary mission they'd picked up

. Full of pointless scenes and circular conversations, there's just no flair or excitement here. It finally had some nice

Spoiler

'characters meeting' moments in the last ten minutes

, but this is 25% of the season done already! Get a move on! The first Avengers movie had already got its team together and had them capture the villain then lose him again in the amount of minutes you've had so far!

I watched the first episode of Defenders, and then instead watched the third season of iZombie.

I'll probably still go back, but... I'm not enthused. I hate Danny Rand so fucking much. I only sorta like Daredevil, whatever his name is. I hated Luke Cage in Jessica Jones, loved him for most of his show, and now I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm exhausted by the nurse, at this point.

Still enjoy Jessica's schtick, though.

Jessica is easily the best of the bunch, Danny easily the worst.  I think Danny's so bad he's bringing down Colleen, who I liked much more before she became involved in Danny's quest.  I find Luke's cheesy phrases annoying and I'm bothered by how easy it is to take him out when he should be the most powerful one but otherwise I think he's fine.  I like Daredevil but I prefer him as Matt Murdock the lawyer.  I don't really have an issue with Claire (the nurse).

3 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I remember while watching the Defenders thinking "Ben probably won't like this" for those very reasons.

:tup:

I've just finished episode 6. It definitely picked up in episode 3,

Spoiler

getting them all together and then that fantastic boardroom fight

I haven't thought much of the fight scenes in most of these shows except Jessica Jones (I prefer the solid wall-crashing action to the post-Oldboy long takes where you can see the misses), but that was great and there have been a few good ones since then. It is still taking twice as long to do anything as it should, though - still all the meaningless conversations and piece-shuffling - and Weaver hasn't had much to do.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:55 PM, SecretAsianMan said:

Hide contents

One thing I liked was the scene where Luke tells Danny he's a privileged White kid who had power before he became the Iron Fist and maybe he should think about that. 

What I also found funny about that was that

Spoiler

Danny considers it and then takes away the complete wrong message - 'Oh yeah, I am a rich white kid... I could use my money to fight the Hand!  Oh yeah, it is wrong of me to beat up on poor black kids... because it's not actually getting me what I want!'

Oh, I finished and yeah, it's okay.

Anyone watched Punisher? I don't think I can be bothered unless the general reaction is that it's the best yet, which I haven't sensed elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Ben X said:

Anyone watched Punisher? I don't think I can be bothered unless the general reaction is that it's the best yet, which I haven't sensed elsewhere.

It was better than i expected and far better than Iron Fist. Considering the source material it wasn't ultra violent. It does an ok job dealing with PTSD and government cover ups of war crimes. It was decent background material while i was playing video games.

I am liking it a lot. Jon Bernthal is allowed a few moments of levity in between gargling rocks.

I am waiting for the bit where it goes on too long but I am only on episode 6.

Finished it a couple days ago. It's more realistic and grounded than the rest of the Marvel shows, and also more self-contained. Not as actiony as I expected, just a handful of big action scenes throughout, and as usual with these Marvel shows the one in episode 3 is the good one that they put a lot of effort and choreography into and the rest are kinda meh. Looking back on the series after the finale there's certainly excess flab that could've been cut, didn't need all those sidestories that didn't end up going anywhere interesting. Overall, yeah, it was ok.

Is anyone watching the new season of Jessica Jones? I watched one episode, but I didn't get into it as much as before. It feels like I've somehow grown out of that mood where I liked this a lot.

I think I liked that there was no immediate bad guy reveleal yet.

2 hours ago, Erkki said:

Is anyone watching the new season of Jessica Jones? I watched one episode, but I didn't get into it as much as before. It feels like I've somehow grown out of that mood where I liked this a lot.

I think I liked that there was no immediate bad guy reveleal yet.

I watched the whole season, while overall its still the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, S2 is a definite step down from S1 in terms of plot, especially the side plots

I'm about 2 episodes in.  So far I'm not feeling it like I was season 1.  I still like it more than the other sister shows (though I haven't watched Punisher at all, nor do I really intend to) but something about it isn't compelling me to watch very much.  I'm sure I'll finish it up eventually.