Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Marvel Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.)

I've started watching Daredevil on Netflix.  I'm two episodes in so far.  Not quite sure what I think yet.  I feel like its moving very slowly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I do like Rosario Dawson's character in the second episode.  I also don't know as much about Daredevil as I do other Marvel characters so it's kind of interesting seeing something comic book related without as much insider knowledge as I normally have.

It doesn't get any faster! I got about 6 episodes in and had to stop because I was so bored. The fight scenes are pretty good, but apart from that there was nothing to hold my interest.

I watched it all in about 24 hours and I really enjoyed it. It does take time to set the stage, but once Fisk becomes more of a central character it gets way more interesting. Also, I really think all the actors are very good and I just enjoyed seeing them interact.

I drank a bunch of wine last weekend and watched the first 3 or so with my boyfriend and liked them.

We watched episode 4 while I was very sober and I very much did not like it and told him to watch the rest without me.

It doesn't get any faster! I got about 6 episodes in and had to stop because I was so bored. The fight scenes are pretty good, but apart from that there was nothing to hold my interest.

Really? I thought it moved at a pretty good clip. Kingpin is great too, one of the best implementations of that character I've seen.

The fight scene at the end of episode 2 is awesome.

Really? I thought it moved at a pretty good clip. Kingpin is great too, one of the best implementations of that character I've seen.

The fight scene at the end of episode 2 is awesome.

I didn't even realize that it was one continuous take until I read this.

Still watching Daredevil and I'm liking it for the most part.  I've gotten used to the pace, the characters are pretty good and the fights are done well.  The thing that's bothering to me is the level of violence.  I get that this is a dark, gritty portrayal of a comic book and I appreciate that, but I think you can accomplish what they're going for without needing to resort to this amount of limb severing.  It's like the writers go out of their way to put as much blood in each scene as they can.  I will say though it sort of solves one problem for me, which is the ability of a good guy who won't kill to get answers.  The thing I never found believable about Batman (besides, you know, everything) is that he's able to scare answers out of these supposed hardened and dangerous criminals with such ease.  While I don't necessarily agree with torture as an interrogation method, it is a somewhat more reasonable explanation than "guy in costume threatens dude but everyone knows he won't kill him".

Still watching Daredevil and I'm liking it for the most part.  I've gotten used to the pace, the characters are pretty good and the fights are done well.  The thing that's bothering to me is the level of violence.  I get that this is a dark, gritty portrayal of a comic book and I appreciate that, but I think you can accomplish what they're going for without needing to resort to this amount of limb severing.  It's like the writers go out of their way to put as much blood in each scene as they can.  I will say though it sort of solves one problem for me, which is the ability of a good guy who won't kill to get answers.  The thing I never found believable about Batman (besides, you know, everything) is that he's able to scare answers out of these supposed hardened and dangerous criminals with such ease.  While I don't necessarily agree with torture as an interrogation method, it is a somewhat more reasonable explanation than "guy in costume threatens dude but everyone knows he won't kill him".

The violence is exactly what made me quit. I was able to handle the first few episodes because I was drinking and hanging out while we were watching, but when we picked back up again I just couldn't do it and kept thinking about all the other things that aren't super gross that I would rather spend my time watching.

I finally finished up Daredevil.  I still think it moves way too slow and the level of violence was kind of off-putting but otherwise I enjoyed it.  Fisk ended up being a far more interesting (if a little clichéd) character than I was anticipating and the show picked up a lot more once he got involved.  I'd watch more of it.

I really enjoyed Jessica Jones. The first 30 minutes were pretty slow going, but after that it just kept getting better and better. I wasn’t a fan of Daredevil, but I loved this. Well-written characters, good structure, inventive, creepy, good fight sequences. The only problem I had with it was (mild structural spoiler, just my opinion on an aspect of it)

the resolution with Kilgrave felt pretty weak

- reminded me of my feelings about Death Note.

I imagine your talking about Jessica Jones, but you may want to actually say what you're talking about, Ben.

I wanted to make the reader feel like a PI by figuring it out. (But yeah, the new Netflix/Marvel series Jessica Jones, thank you!)

I really enjoyed this. The first 30 minutes were pretty slow going, but after that it just kept getting better and better. I wasn’t a fan of Daredevil, but I loved this. Well-written characters, good structure, inventive, creepy, good fight sequences. The only problem I had with it was (mild structural spoiler, just my opinion on an aspect of it)

the resolution with Kilgrave felt pretty weak

- reminded me of my feelings about Death Note.

Yeah, I couldn't stand Daredevil but this has me completely hooked now two episodes in. Excellent stuff!

See, my quandary with Jessica Jones is that I just started reading the comic and really like it. So now I have to decide if I want to finish it before watching the show. But I also want to watch the show right now.

See, my quandary with Jessica Jones is that I just started reading the comic and really like it. So now I have to decide if I want to finish it before watching the show. But I also want to watch the show right now.

So, if you want to do that, the arc that really gets into what the show is about is the last one, issues 22-28 or so.

Also, there's a fair bit of changes to the story. The show's version kinda hits the general beats from the comics, but Jessica's history in the comics leans on the old age of the Marvel Universe in a way that the show can't.

This is from having watched the first 6 episodes of the show, so maybe this changes.

Also, there's a fair bit of changes to the story. The show's version kinda hits the general beats from the comics, but Jessica's history in the comics leans on the old age of the Marvel Universe in a way that the show can't.

This is a tangent, but I find it interesting that despite the shared universe of all the Marvel movies/shows, the Marvel Cinematic Universe really has no continuity. Every now and then they'll have a cross-show cameo or say "Remember the time aliens attacked New York?" (which they have to keep telling you in words, because there sure isn't any other evidence it ever happened). You can feel that they're working under the constraint of "Continuity is confusing, we can't afford to alienate anyone who hasn't seen other MCU stuff". It makes me wonder what the point of the MCU is, why have a shared universe if you're not going to share anything?

Jessica Jones is my favourite TV show of this year, I think.

Here's a pretty good article that highlights some of why I like it (minor spoilers): http://www.salon.com/2015/11/22/jessica_jones_marvels_newest_show_makes_surviving_trauma_a_superpower/ - I don't really agree with their opinion about the subplot they talk about though.

I have watched 3 episodes of Jessica Jones and it has not grabbed me in the slightest. My partner and I watch it to fall asleep to and it has been working pretty well so far. I have no interest in the character (another private eye who hates everyone including themselves), no interest in the plot (unlike Daredevil they feel the need to neatly sew things up at the end of episodes and makes each one feel like a vignette rather than a proper overarching story), the acting is fine but I literally can't bring myself to care.

Master of None, however, has been brilliant. Binged through 8 episodes but am now scared to finish it because then it will be over. The Nashville episode is the standout one for me.

To be honest, it was the Kingpin that kept me interested. Daredevil himself was pretty terrible.

Daredevil also ended up on the list of things we put on before we went to sleep. Except I would usually retrace and watch what I missed the next day, not bothering with that on Jessica Jones.

To be honest, it was the Kingpin that kept me interested. Daredevil himself was pretty terrible.

Really? I thought Kingpin was terrible. They spent so much time building him up and characterizing him, but they never did anything with that, and then at the end

he turns out to be a boring old mustache-twirling sociopath who throws a tantrum and tries to watch the world burn when he can't get what he wants.

I'm five episodes in to Jessica Jones and it is a source of immense frustration for me that the bad guy keeps getting away because she insists on taking him alive (to save one person, nevermind that he's out ruining more lives when he escapes). If I keep watching am I going to continue to be frustrated?

Unrelated, has anyone been keeping up with Doctor Who? I felt like the last several seasons had been lousy, but I kept watching for some reason. I finally quit for good, and now another season's gone by so I thought I'd check: has it gotten better?

I'm five episodes in to Jessica Jones and SEMI-SPOILERS

Unrelated, has anyone been keeping up with Doctor Who? I felt like the last several seasons had been lousy, but I kept watching for some reason. I finally quit for good, and now another season's gone by so I thought I'd check: has it gotten better?

Re. Jessica Jones:

Yes you will continue to be frustrated, in the sense that she doesn't in episode six say "fuck it, let the girl fry, I'm shooting him in the head". However, I recommend you accept this as a moral decision she has made and enjoy the rest of the season because it is so good!

Re. Doctor Who, I thought most of this recent season was terrible and gave up on it for a while, but then I came back on a whim and discovered that the antepenultimate and penultimate episodes were fantastic, and the finale wasn't bad either. So I recommend you check out the final three episodes. (I'm not counting the Xmas special here, I haven't seen it.) Season arc plot you will need to be aware of for those eps:

Davros mentions early on that there was a scary TimeLord prophecy about a hybrid of two great warrior races that would fuck the universe up or something.

At one point the Doctor saves Maisie Williams' viking girl character by injecting her with alien tech that makes her immortal. She becomes a recurring character who has become ethically grey due to the strains of immortality.

We finished up Jessica Jones last night, and it was really fucking good!  Like, maybe the best action oriented TV show I've ever watched (I don't watch many, because I usually find them not that great). 

Besides the content, one of the things that really impressed me with the show as the casting.  This is a world full of people, and they're not all white and straight.  Lots of one off or background characters are just people of color and/or women.  Because why shouldn't a cop or a nurse be black.  Why shouldn't the doctors be women.  It's the argument that some people have made for years come to pass, that if a character doesn't need to be something specific, why not just bring some balance into casting instead of making 70 percent of your cast dudes, and most of them white.