Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

The Wire

There are also subtle changes as a series progresses; new snapshots will get dropped in, here and there, the closer you get to the end. It's often too subtle to notice immediately, but it's a pleasant little easter egg all the same.

I know what irritated me now. I've had more time to listen to it... it's just the lame double bass playing - totally without any effort it sounds like to me. It might just be the arrangement it's supposed to be.

I guess I just don't like it - OK? :grin::getmecoat

Aside from that extremely protracted rant, I'm loving the show. Already thinking about ordering the 2nd series so I can move straight onto it.

I haven't seen The Wire (I'm going to, I loved Generation Kill), but I looked up the intros in Youtube. I kind of feeling like punching the people who mutilated that great Tom Waits track to the form it's in the first intro.

If you don't like the version in the first season, you're up for some horrible surprises.

You'd punch three blind old men? Shame, shame on you.

PS - I'm with Wrestle: I prefer their version to Tom Waits's.

Right on their toothless mouths. Like they filtered out character from the song...

Loving 'The Wire', and I agree the series 2 music is far far better than the series 1 music.

Also, 'Sons of Anarchy', TV Series.

I've been subconsciously preparing myself for this horrible inevitability, so...

Things to keep you going once The Wire has ended...

Generation Kill: New HBO series about the beginning of the Iraq War by David Simon

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets: Factual book by David Simon that was largely the basis for The Wire (the real Jay Landsman is in it, for example)

The Corner: Factual book by David Simon and Wire-writer Ed Burns about the inner cities of Baltimore (undoubtedly influenced The Wire, too)

Clockers: A fictional book about the New York City drug trade written by Richard Price, kindred spirit to David Simon (supposed to be excellent)

The Corner: 6 episode mini-series based on the the book, co-written by David Simon

Homicide: Life on the Streets: Hmmm. Well, it's based on the book, but I don't think Simon was actually too involved with it (can't seem to find any episodes that were actually written by him on the IMDb).

Treme: New David Simon show about New Orleans. Scheduled for 2010.

Is it enough? Is it even good enough? I don't know ;(

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Homicide: Life on the Streets: Hmmm. Well, it's based on the book, but I don't think Simon was actually too involved with it (can't seem to find any episodes that were actually written by him on the IMDb).

I just started watching Homicide. It's great. It's almost like having The Wire back again. I was expecting a more traditional police procedural, but it's a lot closer to modern HBO-shows than it is to it's contemporaries (it started in 93). The focus is on the characters, brought to life by some awesome dialogue. If you like The Wire you really should check it out. Be careful though, the DVDs are in the order they were broadcast, which is very much out of order. Imagine watching The Wire with a few episodes with "too little action" moved to the end of the season by the tv network. Ok, maybe not that bad, but there is a whole lot of continuity that becomes completely fucked up by this. Use wikipedia and go by the production order.

...? IMDb lists him as, variously, a writer, producer, and story editor on quite a few episodes.

Homicide was, if I'm not mistaken, largely done by Tom Fontana, who later went on to make Oz. As such, they have a bit of the same feel to them. Awesome show. I kept meaning to get into Mad Men, but forgot time and again. I'll have to add it to the Blu-Ray TV purchases I've been considering. Already have Firefly, thinking about Pushing Daisies.

Generation Kill: New HBO series about the beginning of the Iraq War by David Simon

I'm watching this right now. Enjoying it a lot. :tup: It has Ziggy in it!

The Corner: 6 episode mini-series based on the the book, co-written by David Simon

This is like the most-depressing mini series ever. :tup: It has Freamon in it!

----

Just saw Revolutionary Road :tup: Pretty good article I saw last month: Why Does Hollywood Hate the Suburbs. The movie kinda gets into my head in that I have similar ambitions to escape suburbia and go to Paris, except I feel less holding me back than the main couple did. No spouse either. :blink:

And before that I watched 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days.

Cheery fucking lot of films/series that I'm watching.

...? IMDb lists him as, variously, a writer, producer, and story editor on quite a few episodes.

He's credited as being a "writer" on all 117 episodes... but only because he wrote the "original novel". As far I can tell he only wrote 2 actual episodes, although he did become story editor (which, according to Brian K. Vaughan - story editor for Lost, is a credit which doesn't really mean anything) and later on, a producer.

I seem to recall Simon saying that they were under pressure from the network to have everything tied up nicely/somebody has learnt something at the end of every episode... which he didn't like.

Still, it could be excellent... I'm just not sure I could sit through 117 episodes of anything right now! :)

Oh lord, I just finished season 3... Feels like I'm getting close to the end -- only two more to go. I can't take the idea that The Wire is ever going to end... I'm addicted. I want to start season 4 immediately, but that can't be good. Need to pace myself.

Three was a slow burner, but by the time it got to the end, I was on the edge of my seat...

I have no idea how season 4 can even continue with the ending I just saw... No B&B... McNutty in the Western... Daniels a Major... It's almost an ending to the entire show. Poor old Bunny.

(Please don't respond with any spoilers.)

Season 4 of The Wire twists things right back in on themselves, effectively, focussing once more on the slums and their myriad characters.

I envy you coming to the second half of this wonderful serial fresh. I'm planning for the memories to fade and dull for a couple of years, then jab the needle in Mrs V's arm! It's the good shit. :yep:

Agh. I need to find out where the story goes... but if I do that I'll end up watching the whole series... Oh woe is me (:violin:).

So far the first season is still my fave. The second was a teeny bit weak and the third focussed a lot more on the drama of the characters... but it was still damned amazing (and still made some interesting/potent points, too).

Edit: Another reason why The Wire is brilliant: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0657502/

I thought what you did: how the hell do they follow up season three? What the hell can they do now?

Turns out, they can make the best damned show even better. :tup:

Idea: zip tied lamp post signs in Baltimore that point to the worst neighborhoods and say "The Wire: The Experience. This Way".

:getmecoat