Sign in to follow this  
nakedsushi

Moon

I realise the twist wasn't the story, I get that. The point is the build up in the first quarter suggests it is - but then the reveal happens and it's basically a character drama from there on. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying the way it was set up with the mystery and suspense to begin with, only for it to then evaporate was something of a let down.

I realise the twist wasn't the story, I get that. The point is the build up in the first quarter suggests it is - but then the reveal happens and it's basically a character drama from there on. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying the way it was set up with the mystery and suspense to begin with, only for it to then evaporate was something of a let down.

It kind of sounds like you're critisizing the movie for being predictable and clichéd, but not being predictable and clichéd enough.

It kind of sounds like you're critisizing the movie for being predictable and clichéd, but not being predictable and clichéd enough.

I'm just saying it starts out with this ramped up mystery and suspense, and then the twist occurs with no fanfare, loses steam and spends the rest of the running time trundling along to its inevitable conclusion. It's as if the beginning of the film is thrown away - after intentionally building it up - and the transition between the two was jarring.

Now that I know how the film plays out it's not a problem - but with the first viewing I found it disappointing and not because I wanted the twist to be revealed at the end (because it wasn't a twist to anyone who's watched sci-fi), but just because of the way that it developed as a whole.

it wasn't a twist to anyone who's watched sci-fi.

This is exactly why it wasn't treated as such. I found the film to be completely upfront and it didn't pretend like it was being clever or mysterious, and I loved it for that (among other things)

Oh, man, finally got around to seeing Moon yesterday. Amazing. I would say it is a very important movie, right up there with Solaris, Space Odyssey and Blade Runner.

I particularly liked the caring robot, concerned for Sam's emotional health and being completely helpful. It is a new kind of creepy, on par and as interesting as HAL's übermenschlich detachment and Marvin's misery.

Oh, man, finally got around to seeing Moon yesterday. Amazing. I would say it is a very important movie, right up there with Solaris, Space Odyssey and Blade Runner.

I particularly liked the caring robot, concerned for Sam's emotional health and being completely helpful. It is a new kind of creepy, on par and as interesting as HAL's übermenschlich detachment and Marvin's misery.

I also got to see Moon yesterday on DVD. Not as ambitious as I had expected, but still a quality movie.

GERTY was creepy for me in large part because of Kevin Spacey. I'll always associate his voice with Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects. This probably was very deliberate casting, but I don't know. Also, they did a good job creating the illusion of two Sam Rockwells. I wasn't even thinking about how they did it; I was completely in the moment.

Solaris? really? Don't you mean Solyaris?

I believe Tarkovsky's version is generally just called Solaris, like the others and the book. It just depends on how you want to represent the Russian name. My dvd says Solaris in any case.

I found, the more recent Solaris to be quite great on its own. It was the first time Clooney actually disappeared behind its character and the soundtrack remains an awesome piece of worl.

I saw Moon on the plane, and even though it was good, I was surprised that it was so literal in its discourse and direct in its construction. What surprised me even more is that even though it was good, it didn't turn to be special. I don't mind it, but I don't think it makes sens to compare it Solaris and 2001, like some people did.

I saw Moon finally, and boy was it great.

I loved the look of the film, just how it felt, but I think I get a hard-on for space station type lonely environments as well, but I'm not a big space geek either. It felt good to look at the scenery of Sunshine too, which had a similar hue. Certain environments in Space Quest games have that kind of comforting loneliness as well.

I was really happy

the robot didn't turn out to be another HAL, but I'm sure the director knew it would be groan inducing and seemed to be playing with it sometimes, such as when Gerty helps put in the password, I thought he was going to crush Sam's head.

Am I the only one here who is never going to see Moon? Our cinemas aren't awesome enough to get it?

It was only shown at a handful on cinemas even here in London. DVD is the answer :tup:

I miss Glasgow and actually seeing interesting movies in a room that's not my living room.

Yeah, I had to rent it guys, because I was too lazy to go when people were actually gushing about it.

Actually, it's hard to go to cinemas to see science fiction type movies because my girlfriend doesn't like the genre and I try to see movies we will enjoy together, even though I drag her to movies by my favorite directors, good or bad. It's no big deal since I'm not a big fan of science fiction though.

She did end up enjoying Moon, though. Come to think of it, she enjoys the original Alien as well.

SO she self-classifies as not liking science fiction, while actually liking good science fiction?

Fair enough, that goes for 90% of the world.

Haha, works for me, I suppose. She's not really any sort of media junkie, so I don't think she cares much about what constitutes a good genre movie. Most of the movies she watches are just things I have on DVD.

I think her DVDs consist of maybe 12 chick movies I would never buy, some Peanuts cartoons, and a shitload of David Attenborough nature documentaries (She wants to meet him someday before he keels over).

By the way, to anyone interested, Moon is on Netflix instant. I highly recommend it.

Seconded, definitely. Moon was probably my favorite movie of 2009. On the topic of Netflix Instant View, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is also on there, I hear. KHAAAAAAAANNNNN!

Also, just burned through season 3 of Burn Notice in a single day. Really entertaining show.

I watched Moon yesterday. I had deliberately avoided any and all trailers and comments, because I suspected this to be a special movie. But it has, in a way, not managed to live up to the expectations.

The movie is quite OK, to be sure, but what bothered me most about it is its ineffectiveness. It's an extremely ineffective movie. That might sound weird, but what I mean is that I could see there was a really good movie in Moon, but they never exploited it at all. There are so many plot points and moments that could've been chilling, grand or lovely, but it's all handled as if this stuff happens every day.

Are you encountering your own clone? Meh, just stroll around the station a little. Do you fear your robot buddy might be a threat? Oh, just ask him and he'll say he's your friend. Come into contact with your original body? Hang up before you speak to him.

It's all these moments that could've been terrific and terrifiying, wasted by not playing to their strengths at all.

:tmeh:

Edited by Rodi

I actually really liked how they unplayed that stuff... because I would have found it tedious to listen to him whine on about meeting

his clone

, etc., when him dealing with that fact was NOT the thrust of the story. Plus, it's a cliche. (Images of him sitting the shower screaming "noooooooooo!".) Still, if they could have done it in such a way that I wasn't waiting for it to end, so the story could continue again, then that would have been good.

I read the comments on Moon earlier in this thread and I've been wondering why there's such a disparity between yours and my opinion. I've been trying to look at it from other perspectives.

Most people here like Moon because it avoids all the clichés and focuses on something else than the tried and true themes of

isolation, space madness, cloning, robot overseer.

I wouldn't want this to have been an 'Alien' type of movie either, or something like Solaris. However, I still think the movie doesn't play to its strengths. I get the feeling that in trying to be original and avoiding the cliché, Moon's character(s) become disconnected from the human condition. This just isn't how a person would react to a situation like the one Sam finds himself in. There would, by way of illustration, be that shower scene.

I can't imagine the devastating effect finding out you are a clone would have on your mind, but apparently neither can Moon.

I'm not saying Moon should have been a different movie, I like what it tries to do. But I disagree with a lot of you in feeling the emotion/theme of the movie could've been exploited way more effectively, in a way that resonated more with the viewer.

This just isn't how a person would react to a situation like the one Sam finds himself in. There would, by way of illustration, be that shower scene.

Is it that true though? Or is that just what you've been trained to expect by Hollywood?

I've seen people react to shocking events with denial, or emotional detachment. I've done it myself (it helps with keeping a cool head in crises). The day after the tube bombings in London, commuters went to work as normal. People can carry on with their everyday lives in the face of some crazy stuff (that this might not be healthy is the basis of psychoanalysis). Most films involving shocking revelations don't portray that; it's not considered dramatic.

But if you were underwhelmed then fair enough. The heart of the film for me is the character portrait anyway and how Sam changes over his years spent on the Moon. The passing of time can make us into a different person.

Is it that true though? Or is that just what you've been trained to expect by Hollywood?

Solid point. In any case, the movie obviously didn't go for the big shocks.