Thyroid

Game of Thrones (TV show)

I watched clips of the new Game of Thrones episode on YouTube. George RR Martin wrote it, and it shows. The man knows how to make a memorable character.

They actually sang "The Rains of Castamere". Anybody here who has not read all the books should not look it up; that song is a big spoiler.

Orvidos knows what I'm talking about.

You have no idea how right you are.

Make a list of your five favorite characters. I can guarantee you, sight unseen, three of them will be dead.

And none of the major players die needlessly. It's all needed for the story, and for the complete shift in dynamics every death means.

God, I can't believe how close we are to that scene - just one of many, many peaks that book 3 hits.

I watched clips of the new Game of Thrones episode on YouTube. George RR Martin wrote it, and it shows. The man knows how to make a memorable character.

They actually sang "The Rains of Castamere". Anybody here who has not read all the books should not look it up; that song is a big spoiler.

Orvidos knows what I'm talking about.

And none of the major players die needlessly. It's all needed for the story, and for the complete shift in dynamics every death means.

God, I can't believe how close we are to that scene - just one of many, many peaks that book 3 hits.

I was really disappointed by the choice of singer for

"The Rains of Castamere"

. I get the ragged old soldier thing they were going for, but the guy just mumbles half of it. Shame too, because I know he's a good singer.

As for that scene keep in mind Season 2 is a book and a half. In fact, I suspect the "half" line is exactly where that'll be the first episode of next season. Last episode of this season (meaning the next) on the outside odds. Of course, HBO could just do something they've never done and change the length of a season in an already established show, and I could see them finally doing that for GoT, but I doubt it.

E: I guess upon listening to it again, I just didn't have my TV loud enough, and it came through terribly. I'm still not a huge fan, but it works.

E2: Okay, did a bit of digging, next episode is the last of the season, it will not be happening, sort of leading me to hope that Season 3 is the rest of Storm rather than the rest of Storm and part of Crows, because to be fair, Kings is a fairly dull book for making TV, where-as Storm is not. But either way it'll still be another six or seven months before we see that little debacle.

E3: From official sources: "However, whilst the first two seasons roughly corresponded to the first two books, the sheer length of the third novel (half again the length of the first) makes this impossible. As a result, the events of the novel will be split over the third and a potential fourth season. Some events from the third novel were also moved into the final episodes of the second season to help facilitate this."

Which means we've got at least a season, probably two of A Storm of Swords. Very likely two, considering that both the second and third season were confirmed literal hours after the second episode of the season at the time. I'm really happy about that. My biggest worry about this whole endeavor was how you'd fit this series into neat little chunks, but it seems they went to the right people to do this because they're allowing them entire seasons for half a book. Man, Dance is going to be three or four seasons.

The number of viewers is pretty low. Never more than 4 million in the US. Compare that to The Mentalist, for example, which must cost pennies to make and has had around 15 million viewers per episode for four seasons. So I'm worried they'll just stop making GoT before the plot is finished.

The number of viewers is pretty low. Never more than 4 million in the US. Compare that to The Mentalist, for example, which must cost pennies to make and has had around 15 million viewers per episode for four seasons. So I'm worried they'll just stop making GoT before the plot is finished.

Well it's a niche show, on a premium network, so 4 million isn't terrible, all things considered. You have to keep in mind as well, that Ireland is paying a nice chunk of change for them filming it there, and boosting their tourism. I can't disagree that it might not make it all the way, but I'd be genuinely surprised if we didn't at least get Season 4.

Also Season 1 boxes and digital episodes sold like hotcakes so that will help a lot.

Game of Thrones is on a premium network, so 4 million is pretty damn strong. Comparing it to the Mentalist on CBS, a free over-the-air broadcast network, doesn't really work. Premium cable ratings expectations are different from that of basic cable ratings expectations, which are different from broadcast expectations. No one expects a show on HBO to get the same ratings as one on CBS. Game of Thrones is wildly popular, and it seems as if HBO is very pleased with how things are going.

I was really disappointed by the choice of singer for

"The Rains of Castamere"

. I get the ragged old soldier thing they were going for, but the guy just mumbles half of it. Shame too, because I know he's a good singer.

It was just a rendition for that particular episode, a dose of background story about

Tywin Lannister and what it means to fuck with him

. I think the (MAJOR book 3 spoiler)

version they do in the wedding - much like the one they sang with Bronn - will be very different.

As for that scene keep in mind Season 2 is a book and a half. In fact, I suspect the "half" line is exactly where that'll be the first episode of next season. Last episode of this season (meaning the next) on the outside odds. Of course, HBO could just do something they've never done and change the length of a season in an already established show, and I could see them finally doing that for GoT, but I doubt it.

Not exactly. Season 2 borrowed elements from book 3 to get certain wheels moving and, I suspect, to give some actors something to do (so

Jaime/Brienne start-off early and they get the Fist of the First Men subplot done quickly so they can get to the battle at the wall

). This season ends with the prologue chapter from A Storm of Swords, with

Chett, Sam and the three blasts

I think we're talking about different things? What scene are you referring to?

E2: Okay, did a bit of digging, next episode is the last of the season, it will not be happening, sort of leading me to hope that Season 3 is the rest of Storm rather than the rest of Storm and part of Crows, because to be fair, Kings is a fairly dull book for making TV, where-as Storm is not. But either way it'll still be another six or seven months before we see that little debacle.

We're still very much in A Clash of Kings, the

Jaime/Brienne

thing aside!

E3: From official sources: "However, whilst the first two seasons roughly corresponded to the first two books, the sheer length of the third novel (half again the length of the first) makes this impossible. As a result, the events of the novel will be split over the third and a potential fourth season. Some events from the third novel were also moved into the final episodes of the second season to help facilitate this."

From the recent casting list - and some hoping - I feel like season 3 will end with

pigeon pie

, with the opening bits of season 4 dealing in

the Red Viper, Tyrion's trial and Dorne

Which means we've got at least a season, probably two of A Storm of Swords. Very likely two, considering that both the second and third season were confirmed literal hours after the second episode of the season at the time. I'm really happy about that. My biggest worry about this whole endeavor was how you'd fit this series into neat little chunks, but it seems they went to the right people to do this because they're allowing them entire seasons for half a book. Man, Dance is going to be three or four seasons.

David Benioff and DB Weiss are good writers in their own respective rights. I'm reading through Benioff's When the Nines Roll Over, and I like it a lot.

It was just a rendition for that particular episode, a dose of background story about

Tywin Lannister and what it means to fuck with him

. I think the (MAJOR book 3 spoiler)

version they do in the wedding - much like the one they sang with Bronn - will be very different.

Not exactly. Season 2 borrowed elements from book 3 to get certain wheels moving and, I suspect, to give some actors something to do (so

Jaime/Brienne start-off early and they get the Fist of the First Men subplot done quickly so they can get to the battle at the wall

). This season ends with the prologue chapter from A Storm of Swords, with

Chett, Sam and the three blasts

We're still very much in A Clash of Kings, the

Jaime/Brienne

thing aside!

It's been a long time since I've read most of this, so you're right on all counts now that I think about it. I forgot that Jaime didn't feature at all in Clash. (Well, "feature"

I think we're talking about different things? What scene are you referring to?

I assumed you meant

The Red Wedding

, which is fast approaching, but out in early next season at least, but in restrospect, do you mean either

Qhorin/Jon or The House of the Undying?

My memory of books I've read is fairly compressed, in computer terms, and I don't remember more than vague specifics without several reads. My main confusion with the scene you're referring to is from their slight twist on The Battle of Blackwater since Tywin rides directly from Harrenhal in their version because Rob is still at the Crag, but has done Jeyne/Tali, so it's all a mess.

Ep. 10 synopsis so we're on the same page before we get any further into this:

Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin.

Which means a good episode, and if the scenes play out in that order a good place to end the season is on

the appearance of Mance or Qhorin's head.

Well it's a niche show, on a premium network, so 4 million isn't terrible, all things considered. You have to keep in mind as well, that Ireland is paying a nice chunk of change for them filming it there, and boosting their tourism. I can't disagree that it might not make it all the way, but I'd be genuinely surprised if we didn't at least get Season 4.

Also Season 1 boxes and digital episodes sold like hotcakes so that will help a lot.

Hmm, ok. It just doesn't seem like all that many people!

Hmm, ok. It just doesn't seem like all that many people!

It's good when you consider how many people actually pay for HBO. Way less than people with basic cable.

As for all the ASoIaF spoiler talk above... Benioff and Weiss already said that the third book (A Storm of Swords), being even longer than the second, would be impossible to fit into HBO's strict 10 episode season format. They confirmed that it will be split over two seasons. The scene I think Orvidos is eluding to (

RW

) has also been confirmed to be the big season 3 closer, which is a perfect fit... it happens about halfway in book 3, and it has some broad repercussions on the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do with more time. Season 2 feels rushed compared to season 1. I thought they did a good job adapting the first book to the 10 episode format, but the second book (being longer) took a lot more cutting, and cramming. Which has led to some poorly paced, poorly set-up scenes throughout the season. Now season 3 has less book pages to adapt than the first season, so I'm hoping they can capitalize on some solid scenes/character moments, and have less "let's push this story forward" dialogue.

I assumed you meant

The Red Wedding

I did! OK, yeah, for a second there I thought you were talking about

The House of the Undying

if the scenes play out in that order a good place to end the season is on

the appearance of Mance or Qhorin's head.

I'm almost sure the episode will end with

Qhorin and Jon's swordfight

The scene I think Orvidos is eluding to (

RW

) has also been confirmed to be the big season 3 closer, which is a perfect fit... it happens about halfway in book 3, and it has some broad repercussions on the story.

I'd be surprised if that's where they ended it.

They ought to at least get to the other big wedding, to at least complete Melisandre's prophecies/predictions. Ending it on the RW would be a huge mistake, but putting it in episode 8 - now that'd be ballsy. End it with everyone's favourite little shit choking and leave the audience dying to know how Tyrion's trial plays out, and you get big numbers for season 4 while also introducing all of the Dorne cast in that season.

I'd be surprised if that's where they ended it.

They ought to at least get to the other big wedding, to at least complete Melisandre's prophecies/predictions. Ending it on the RW would be a huge mistake, but putting it in episode 8 - now that'd be ballsy. End it with everyone's favourite little shit choking and leave the audience dying to know how Tyrion's trial plays out, and you get big numbers for season 4 while also introducing all of the Dorne cast in that season.

I'm just repeating what I heard. That doesn't mean it will necessarily be the last episode. They may just do what you said.

GoT finale: WTB Time Machine.

Yeah. That just happened. This whole season was a mess, so I'm not surprised it ended like one.

You may have misunderstood. WTB Time Machine to Season 3.

You may have misunderstood. WTB Time Machine to Season 3.

Ah. Well I hope that with only half a book to adapt they will have an easier time next season.

Let me know if you do come by one of those time continuum disrupting devices.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Season 2 has been... inconsistent, but I'm still 110% on-board for GoT TV adaption.

So, regarding GoT:

The best part of the episode with the siege for me was Sansa taking off with The Puppy... Which apparently didn't happen. Huh.

Also, who burned Winterfell? The twenty Pykemen when they were surrendering to the Starks? How does that make sense?

I liked the bit with the vault.

So, regarding GoT:

The best part of the episode with the siege for me was Sansa taking off with The Puppy... Which apparently didn't happen. Huh.

Also, who burned Winterfell? The twenty Pykemen when they were surrendering to the Starks? How does that make sense?

I liked the bit with the vault.

Sansa doesn't leave with Clegane in the books either, unless I'm misremembering. If she does and I'm forgetting, she ends up at Harrenhal as Baelish's fake daughter either way.

While the primary defensive walls and I would imagine a couple of the more permanent structures (a temple to the Divines, the main keep certainly, maybe the barracks) are very much stone, even inside the main portion of the keep, many of the buildings would be of wood and probably thatch construction. A couple torches in each wooden structure would serve to devastate any non-stone structures inside the inner walls of Winterfell. I don't think they burned the castle-town itself, which lies outside the main keep.

E: Oh, I guess I should clarify. The Ironmen escaped, not surrendered, and burnt down the inner keep on the way out.

Hey, thanks for revealing what happens next season :P

That's just how it seemed to me when I saw the previous episode.

And regarding the keep, it's not its flammability that bothers me. It's the line earlier where Rob says the Ironmen could go home, but not what's-his-name. They don't show how they leave and since they hit their leader on the head, that's what I presumed happened.

Orvidos needs to re-read ASOIAF.

So, regarding GoT:

It's intentionally left vague in the TV series, a storytelling decision in preparation for a future event. You'll understand what I mean when the next season rolls around.

Those aren't Starks sieging Winterfell, they're Northmen. Starks are just one single family of Northmen.

Sansa doesn't leave with Clegane in the books either, unless I'm misremembering. If she does and I'm forgetting, she ends up at Harrenhal as Baelish's fake daughter either way.

What happens in the books is a lot more intricate and detailed than that. Book 3 spoilers:

After the shit that happens at Joffrey's wedding, Sansa escapes with Dontos. Dontos takes her to a ship where Littlefinger is waiting, asking for his money - turns out Dontos is a filthy liar selling her off to the crown to show what a traitor she is. Littlefinger's men shoot arrows into Dontos, and he takes her with him first to the Fingers, then to the Eyrie, where he marries Lysa.

E: Oh, I guess I should clarify. The Ironmen escaped, not surrendered, and burnt down the inner keep on the way out.

Not exactly

. Major spoilers for book 2 (TV-only people stay away too) - read the second paragraph, Orvidos.

Game of Thrones TV spoiler only:

Why was Stannis Baratheon not a prisoner of the Lannisters as was implied last time? Did I miss something? He seemed to be back home safely..

Orvidos needs to re-read ASOIAF.

Apparently I do! I'll get on that soon-ish.

Game of Thrones TV spoiler only:

Why was Stannis Baratheon not a prisoner of the Lannisters as was implied last time? Did I miss something? He seemed to be back home safely..

He was being carried away by his own men.... or that's what I've had to tell all my non-ASoIaF-reader friends. I've spent the entire season making excuses for this show. I want it to be better, or I don't want it at all. A poor TV adaptation will turn people away from reading the books.

Season 2...

I'm actually enjoying it. I don't mind and actually like some of the changes. Especially stuff like robb getting hitched, which in the books was basically "k btw I gots married." Nice seeing that actually being shown a bit. I really dug the arya/tywin scenes too. Much of the last half the episodes do feel a little rushed, but I think overall it's better than season 1.

But... it's a GOOD TV adaptation. One of the best I've seen.