Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

Silicon Valley

On a different note, Silicon Valley is fucking fantastic. The second season is much, much better than the first and I'm super excited about the upcoming finale! :tup: :tup:

I think having watched a full season of that relatively awful Betas show from Amazon right beforehand, my expectations were lowered to a point that Silicon Valley seemed like a masterpiece.  Looking forward to checking out season 2.

This season of Veep has been really great too.

The condorcam is so creepy now.

I think this season is funny as hell and great, but wow it has a strange story arc. A lot of backpedalling, red herrings and sporadic subplots that haven't come together yet, but are clearly going to by the finale in some way that i haven't pieced together.

Silicon Valley has started its third season and it's quite the corker so far. I'm loving it.

Silicon Valley has started its third season and it's quite the corker so far. I'm loving it.

I just burned through the past two seasons and love it. It's weird because I feel like it's made for me specifically, some nerd who cares way too much about the startup industry and knows a lot of the jargon they're using for no good reason. Do you have this kind of background as well? I vaguely wonder what the appeal would be for someone who doesn't have that familiarity with the industry. Not to say I assume you don't have it, I'm just curious if the humor gets past that specificity. I do like pretty much all the comedians who work on that show in a more broad standup context, so I assume the show does have some level of broad appeal.

I don't know about start-ups and I enjoyed Silicon Valley. It was a bit of a slog at first but definitely picked up towards the end. I'll hopefully check out the next two seasons at some point, depending on how reasonable HBO make it for me.

Also, it's weird seeing 'rip' being used to refer to the film conversion process even though I'm used to it for ripping music CDs.

It's not a good word for it. Scanning is very different from copying bits.

I just burned through the past two seasons and love it. It's weird because I feel like it's made for me specifically, some nerd who cares way too much about the startup industry and knows a lot of the jargon they're using for no good reason. Do you have this kind of background as well? I vaguely wonder what the appeal would be for someone who doesn't have that familiarity with the industry. Not to say I assume you don't have it, I'm just curious if the humor gets past that specificity. I do like pretty much all the comedians who work on that show in a more broad standup context, so I assume the show does have some level of broad appeal.

I've meandered through life a bit but am currently working in a small academic tech project. I know some of the stuff like scrum/agile and general tech stuff, but I'm not as deep in as some. For what it's worth, my wife also loves the show and she's not all that tech-savvy. They do a good job of putting jokes in at all levels of in-jokiness.

I'll say reading the somethingawful thread after every episode definitely helps my enjoyment because there's some full-on techlords posting there that catch a lot of cool references and winks to things that really happened.

From that, one of my favourite things about Silicon Valley is that whenever something happens that makes you go "that's just unbelievable" it is actually based on a real-world event, like this one:

It's the best comedy I've seen in years, Mike Judge at the absolutely peak of his powers. The whole "middle-out" bit at the end of S1 had me crying with laughter

Huh, maybe I should go back to it. I think I watched about five episodes. I didn't think the characters were as relatable as Mike Judge's characters usually are.

Huh, maybe I should go back to it. I think I watched about five episodes. I didn't think the characters were as relatable as Mike Judge's characters usually are.

To be honest, part of its charm to me is how everyone is basically an asshole on some level.

Also, it's weird seeing 'rip' being used to refer to the film conversion process even though I'm used to it for ripping music CDs.

I meant rip of a Blu-Ray disc. For film-to-digital, "transfer" seems to be a widely used word.

Ah, so brkl was using it in a different way to you, then? He said he returned a blu-ray because the rip ws awful... :/