Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

Movies That Would More or Less Scan the Same But Arguably Make for More Interesting Replacements for the Titular Film Referenced in the Chorus of Deep Blue Something’s 1995 Hit Single “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”

God this is really fucking good and stupid.

There's definitely a gold medal sublist of this list in which titles are only acceptable if the way that line is sung doesn't end up putting emphasis on syllables that would be unnatural if you were speaking the film's title aloud. So, "Double Indemnity" does work ("DOU-ble in-DEM-nity"), but "A Sense of History" doesn't really—pretty much anything beginning with an article like "a" or "the" doesn't work, because we almost never strongly emphasize those words at the beginning of a phrase. This criterion knocks out a lot of the examples on the list.

Standouts from the linked list:

- Double Indemnity

- Shadow Conspiracy

- Black Oak Conspiracy

- Voodoo Academy

- Werckmeister Harmonies

- Bridget Jones' Diary

- Deal of the Century

Arguable:

- Manchester by the Sea

- Safety Not Guaranteed

And I said, what about

Die hard with a vengeance

And I said, what about

The Matrix Reload

And I said, what about

Little Miss Sunshine

And I said, what about

The Fast and the Furious

It doesn't fit perfectly, but I still think "She Killed In Ectasy" is my favorite because I love the idea of a 90's pop song about Jess Franco.

Great find! :lol:

Obligatory link to Olde English's Breakfast at Tiffany's sketch, which engages with the titular work to a stronger degree than the original song.

I recognised the reference but I don't get it. I mean, is the entire joke here "there is a thing that is happening and I have changed a few words of a lyric from a random song to inaccurately reflect that event"?

In other news, I no longer have All Star stuck in my head because I have Breakfast At Tiffany's stuck in my head.

What does "scan the same" mean? Fun list! Double Indemnity would be a great replacement!

I would add

Stranger than Paradise

Coffee and Cigarettes

2 hours ago, Erkki said:

What does "scan the same" mean?

To "scan" in this sense, as I understand it, means to flow well with the music - the right number of syllables with the intonation in the correct place (so "Star Wars Episode Three" doesn't scan too well because you have to put the emphasis on the middle syllable of "episode" which is not how one would normally say it). I googled "to scan music definition" and found someone saying that it comes from 'scansion', though I'm not sure if that's true.

6 hours ago, Ben X said:

I recognised the reference but I don't get it. I mean, is the entire joke here "there is a thing that is happening and I have changed a few words of a lyric from a random song to inaccurately reflect that event"?

In other news, I no longer have All Star stuck in my head because I have Breakfast At Tiffany's stuck in my head.

No, the joke is that the Groupon's title fits perfectly as a lyric in Wonderwall. It's literally the same joke this entire thread is devoted to, but for a different song.

1 hour ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

No, the joke is that the Groupon's title fits perfectly as a lyric in Wonderwall. It's literally the same joke this entire thread is devoted to, but for a different song.

I cannot believe I didn't see that. It even starts with "Buy now" and has the rhyming "wow"  :getmecoat

1 hour ago, Erkki said:

I think it has too many syllables. Maybe if you say 'lesque show.

No; the corresponding lyric to "burlesque show" is "realized," which is sung as three distinct syllables: "re-a-lized."

23 hours ago, Chris said:

No; the corresponding lyric to "burlesque show" is "realized," which is sung as three distinct syllables: "re-a-lized."

Right, I somehow skipped "somehow" in the original.