Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Mr. Robutt

It wasn't whether I think it's ok to repeat another work's twist, it was all the other stuff I said: it was painfully obvious to the point of distraction, and also the show was dragging anyway. And the father aspect I had 

also guessed, plus there's the unfortunate fact that if that makes it different to Fight Club it also makes it strikingly similar to Dexter.

As soon as Christian Slater's character advocated for returning to the gold standard and no one told him that he's an idiot I turned of Mr. Robot and never returned.

Listening to Sam Esmail talk on those two podcasts I linked too, he reiterates how much he hates plot, Its the least interesting thing about a show to him.

So hating on season 1 because who Mr Robot is or whetever happens at the end, (I can't even remember now) doesn't really matter it just a means for all the little interactions that I remember so vividly, like Elliot's therapy season, Mr Robot pushing him off the railing, Tyrell beating up a tramp, Elliot swallowing pills out of his own vomit. All the good stuff!

god damn I loved all the Elliot stuff in the first half of the second season. The Seinfeld chats at lunch everyday. So good

It's fun to imagine Christian Slater is just playing a grown-up version of his character from Heathers here. The vibe is so similar I'm sure Esmail thought of it already - even down to his self-destructive and sometimes murderous impulses. The first time you see him on the subway he's basically in exactly the same pose - slumped over like a moody teenager with his hat pulled down low. It's great. (Heathers is great, everyone should watch Heathers..)

I think if Mr Robot had maintained the straightforwardly anti-corporate, Anonymous-masked, Reddit-haunted, Fight Club-fandom feel of Season 1, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it through Season 2. (And they definitely take far too long to get the 'big twist' out of the way in S1.) So I totally understand if people don't have the patience to stick with it and honestly, I'm not really sure it's a show that rewards patience.

But the overarching vibe of Season 2 is more pessimistic in a way that appeals to me. A lot more shades of grey. It's less like 'everything would be great if we annihilated Goldman Sachs' and more like *metal gear voice* 'everyone is a footsoldier in a proxy war without end'. Plus the constant reminder that the system you thought was worth destroying is actually a vastly complex interrelated machine made up of human beings, not just economic actors.

And yet the same things that have kept me gripped all throughout Season 2 are the same things which leave me wondering if anyone running the show really knows where it's going. I'm happy for it to spin out little mysteries forever but it's so rare for shows which do that to ever come to any kind of satisfactory resolution. 

A few other random points:

Weirdly, I guessed that Darlene is Eliot's sister from almost the moment they met. Something to do with body language, perhaps? The way they depict their relationship early on is extremely well handled. 

On 07/02/2017 at 5:42 PM, syntheticgerbil said:

Dom just echoes my frustration. She has very little compassion for these people. She also seems to have very little compassion for the everyday people impacted by E Corp's fail. It's not clear if she sees it as solely the fault of F Society or if the real problem is E Corp had too much stake in everyone's lives. This unawareness is reflected in her awkward conversations with the convenience store owner and her shitty response to him going out of business is that he should make her another sandwich and then she laughs about it. She's just sort of another looking down on others from her cushy privileged life.

This is a great point which I hadn't really thought about before. I loved that scene in the convenience store; her performance was just perfect. 

I suppose my feeling that she's doomed comes from the show's occasional reminders of her weaknesses - she has a certain lonely vulnerability when she's off the clock. And I think one of the things the show is trying to teach us is that any vulnerability is ripe for sophisticated exploitation in our century.

Similarly, I think that scene where Whiterose shows Dom all the dresses will come back to haunt them both - Dom was meant to have died after that, but she didn't. So there's an outstanding flaw on Whiterose's side...

23 hours ago, Mington said:

hating on season 1 because who Mr Robot is or whetever happens at the end doesn't really matter

I know my opinion on the show wasn't particularly in-depth or valuable, but I feel like it's repeatedly being unfavourably misrepresented...

You were clearly watching it wrong Ben ;P

I admit that was a cheap shot to goad you. soz hon x

Season 3 has been great so far! Loving the soundtrack, after every episode i jump in this playlist

huh, the date added order is all saying 6 days ago... the guy must've remade the playlist, thats annoying.

This ones better, just season 3 

On 09/02/2017 at 10:17 PM, Ben X said:

I know my opinion on the show wasn't particularly in-depth or valuable, but I feel like it's repeatedly being unfavourably misrepresented...

29 minutes ago, syntheticgerbil said:

Okay because it's not like there's an amazing ensemble cast who is pulling every which way of who to root for and who to feel for? Christian Slater is just a part of the show, he's never been the main character and barely has any screen time at this point. That's not to say I don't welcome (or hate) his character appearing when he does. There are major props to give to Rami Malek, Portia Doubleday, Grace Gummer, and Carly Chaiken.

I was being flippant. What I really am content with is not watching a show that does what every other tv drama does and casually depict and refer to sexual assault and rape. I think that it's  condescending to say that people don't know what they like and what they don't. A show does not deserve my time, and if it feels immediately insufferable to me, I am not going to feel bad about not watching it anymore. Life is too short to wait around waiting for something you don't like to become something you do like.

I like this show a lot! :tup:

Still a tiny bit disappointed that it didn't feature a literal robot called Mr. Robot... 

2 minutes ago, BigJKO said:

Still a tiny bit disappointed that it didn't feature a literal robot called Mr. Robot... 

Please, Mr. Robot was my father's name, call me Jennegatron.