Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS/Android)

The latest iOS offering from Nintendo. Free to play mini strategy game. Has consumed about 5 hours of my day so far. I'll probably be completely obsessed with it until about Tuesday :tup:

post you friend codes!

Mington: 8421656680

Is the combat the same as in the 3DS game or is that more robust? 

I can see me hitting a difficulty wall after about 10 hours and then some serious grinding will have to be involved. Also a lot of luck, as my two 4 star heroes are taking names,where as my 3 and 2 star heroes are all a bit pants. I also got a 4 star healer which I haven't needed to use yet but guess he'll be very important as the game gets harder. 

Ive been letting the game auto run quite a lot, I actually feel like the AI is better at playing the game then me.

I've leveled my castle up to 80% extra xp, I feel like that's more important then recruiting tons of heroes at this early stage

Just reading about upgrading a heros star value. So you can change a 3 star hero to 4 stars, first you need to get them to level 20. But annoying when you upgrade there star value the reset to level 1 heroes again.

The grind is real

I haven't actually experienced any grinding yet, I can just see it on the horizon. Don't let that put you off if you are thinking of trying it out. I would highly recommend so far 

I doubt grinding is necessary to beat the game on normal difficulty, it's probably for completionists who want to do arena battles and lunatic difficulties. Grinding isn't really encouraged since I think you get less EXP for beating a level you've already beaten? I guess there's also the specific training levels but I haven't looked into that much. I haven't got a single 5 star yet but like you, my 4 stars are wrecking house so far. Just makes it hard to level up some of the better 3 stars I have since they usually don't have what it takes.

3 star units seem pretty useless once you start getting units to about level 20. Wouldn't recommend putting time into them if you can avoid it, even if you can upgrade them later.

"The story" in this game seems to be quite utterly bad.

But I'm addicted. I've played about three hours every day just this game and nothing else. Really well done mobile interface. I think I will soon hit boredom if I need to start grinding to get stuff. I have just 4* Heroes, no 5* yet. Two characters are already over level 20.

My code: 9499212593

I've been doing the training level quiet a bit and I r got a feeling that you only earn experience if you are fighting energies of similar of higher level.

so for example I've got a couple level 18 & 19 heroes, and they aren't receiving any xp from doing to level 15 training mission.

also, I'm running out of stamina fast now that the mission require more.

i got my ass handed to me in the arena today

Whattt the fuuuuuck. Just got my first 4 star hero to level 20 and went to upgrade them to 5 stars.

it cost 20,000 feathers (I have 30) and 20 tier 2 badges (of which I have zero). I was not expecting that. Damn

free to play ladies and gentleman 

This is par for the course for gatcha games.

Which is why I have no intention of continuing to play it. Bad story, bad f2p mechanics. No thanks.

Been playing this a bit over the last few days. A few boards a day is enough for me - I don't seem to have the gene that makes mobile games a compulsive draw, so I'll probably let it go in a few weeks.

But the basic gameplay is quite satisfying. Despite the small size of the maps, I'm impressed at just how much traditional FE strategising is possible. It is odd that you can't choose where to start your units, though. It's a bit tedious having to shuffle all my lads and lasses about at the start of every round so I don't get my weapon compatibilities screwed up. 

I strongly recommend going to Settings and changing 'Confirm Action' and 'Confirm Move' to 'Tap', if you find you are sometimes moving and attacking by swiping in a careless manner.

It is odd that there's no pairing up of characters, nor any support conversations between them. I know that would require an impossible amount of dialogue given the number of characters supposedly present, but that aspect has become such a huge draw for the series (ever since Awakening) that it seems odd to just leave it out entirely. Perhaps that might be an interesting focus for another Fire Emblem mobile game - a dating/life management sim that abstracts out the strategy layer entirely in favour of a Sims-esque life management/virtual pet thing? We can but dream. 

Oh and I have no idea what friends are for in this game but my friend ID is 9567957345. If you get a request from someone named Paddy it's probably meeee.

It's not trying to be a Fire Emblem game at all though, it's a gacha game in an FE skin. Literally nothing more. It's the first one I've really played and on the penultimate chapter of the story it's 1) fucking terrible as an actual game and 2) terrifying, in that the summoning of characters is so addictive that I can understand why someone might spend the ludicrous sums of money they want for orbs rather than play any more of this brainless shite.

And every hour or so I keep picking it up to do another couple of maps. It's powerful stuff.

This game has really gacha me.

Not tempted to spend money, though. They've priced things in such a way that seems a bit absurd. $13 for five heroes? All of which could be 3-stars? No thanks.

The mechanics of it are satisfying, and I love me a daily-login game. I'm in no hurry to get levelled up since I can't imagine the game is any different at the top tier than it is here at the bottom. Getting rich quick takes the meaning out of our entire capitalistic endeavor and generates emptiness and loneliness. I'm happy to play a few maps a day and progress gradually and get my login bonuses and be wrapped-up for the next few weeks.

Also that freaking intro song is my favorite. That dude has vibrato for miles and miles.

Yeah, I'll get to end on Normal and that'll be the end for me. No spend, but it's made me want to play some real FE, so I guess it's done its job. When's the Switch one coming out?

@Mington The real games are much more in-depth in every way. If you like the basic idea, I'd recommend Awakening. You've got a 3DS, no? It's worth getting one for.

Just in case people didn't know, you can buy stamina potions (and other things like shards or dueling swords) for 100 points on My Nintendo. If you go through the app, you'll see you can only use points that you earned in-game, but on the website you can use the generic points too.

Like Dartmonkey, my main takeaway from my ~45 minutes of playing this game is I should play a real FE some time. 

It's Tuesday 

I've got 1 level to beat in the story on normal. I think I need to grind and level some heros up before I beat it and then I'm probably done. I'd like to get a five star hero at some point, I've pulled like 20 heros and none have been 5* :/ after that there's no real point in continuing... that said, if I pulled like 2-3 high tier 5* heroes I'd probably continue playing. It's fun when your heroes are beasts.

its not fun when you have a 4* archer who's complete wank, who you've leveled up to 18 and is still wank

I have played a bunch of this game so far. It made me dig up my old copy of Awakening and restart it, so there's that.

So finished the story on normal this morning, scrapped through the final battle which was quite satisfying. Got enough orbs for another 5 hero pull and still no 5* heroes. I think it'll take a good week to get another 20 now (i've already completed about half of the story on hard)

I've got a few new 4* heroes that i like the look of but their stat levels are all over the place and would take hours just to get them all around the same. And even then if i attempted the arena i'd still get destroyed by someone who had luckily pulled 2 or 3 5* guys, and heaven forbidden i meet a whale.

Oh well, I think that's it.

App deleted. It lasted 1 day longer than i originally thought :tup:

On 2/5/2017 at 9:06 AM, Twig said:

This is par for the course for gatcha games.

Which is why I have no intention of continuing to play it. Bad story, bad f2p mechanics. No thanks.

I'm going to be so sad if this does better than Mario.

I've been enjoying this game in a manner I've not seen in another game before. I do a lot of auto-battling, like 75% of my battles are run by the AI. Some of the time I'm doing something else, like watching the golden age of tv, or working, or driving. Traffic is stopped often enough in LA that it's safe for me to select a training match and get the auto-battle going (with it mounted on my dash). Gives me a bizarre feeling of being entertained. Glancing over at the screen, "oh snap! look at my little mage, he's been getting wrecked recently, but this round he levelled up three times!"

That said, in situations in which I'm free to actually play the game, let's say a bathroom break, I sometimes just run an auto-battle and feel perfectly entertained! It's weird!

I do actually enjoy playing the game....

FE:H feels more like a clicker than anything else. Or like a clicker+. Numbers go up! The + part comes from having the option to play something resembling a game system.

Maybe that's the new back-of-box feature. "Take me to the nearest collectable." "Fight monsters in the woods until I level up twice." Autopilot mode!