Sign in to follow this  
Chris

New forum: Movies & Television!

Hey folks! As the site continues to branch out in terms of what our podcasts cover, I realized we're long overdue for a subforum discussing film and television. But really, that's a thin justification. The "Movie/TV recommendations" thread reached its 10th anniversary last year, so really we probably should have had a place for film and TV for a while now.

Enjoy it! Post stuff there!

i dunno how to cope with this change

without megathreads, can we even be idle thumbs

( :tup: )

35 minutes ago, Twig said:

i dunno how to cope with this change

without megathreads, can we even be idle thumbs

( :tup: )

Creating this new forum was an instructive and surprising exercise, because I moved over threads going all the way back to 2004 and therefore got a pretty good sense of what Idle Banter has looked like over the years. There definitely used to be a lot more new threads created rather than defaulting to megathreads. Hopefully this at least makes people feel more comfortable considering a new thread.

Did you get a weird glimpse into how our collective viewpoints have evolved over the years? Were we really as volatile as I suspect we were back then?

Well, Jake was making incomprehensible threads about Grand Moff Tarkin...

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

Did you get a weird glimpse into how our collective viewpoints have evolved over the years? Were we really as volatile as I suspect we were back then?

Yes. We were.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:24 AM, Chris said:

But really, that's a thin justification. The "Movie/TV recommendations" thread reached its 10th anniversary last year, so really we probably should have had a place for film and TV for a while now.

Christ, we're all old.

Here are some new threads in this forum created by pulling together related posts from existing threads, mainly the big film/television thread:

I also brought the general Twin Peaks discussion thread over from the Twin Peaks Rewatch forum:

And I brought a bunch of recent X-Files discussion from the film/tv megathread over to the dedicated X-Files thread, as several people in the megathread had pointed out that there was already a place to talk about X-Files:

20 hours ago, Chris said:

I brought a bunch of recent X-Files discussion from the film/tv megathread over to the dedicated X-Files thread, as several people in the megathread had pointed out that there was already a place to talk about X-Files:

This especially makes me very happy!

"Person of Interest" collected thread:

(I'll just put these in here as I collect them, as a way of pinging newly created threads that have posts that are recent, but not recent enough to necessarily show up near the top of the "Unread Content" filter, which is at least how I browse the forums usually.)

"Breaking Bad" collected thread:

(Assembled from an existing thread moved over from Idle Banter, as well as many, many posts from the megathread.)

Split-out thread discussing problematic (racist, sexist, etc.) elements in older films and how that affects or should affect their status as "classics":

"Marvel Netflix shows" collected thread:

If this seems like a bad or arbitrary delineation, let me know. (I've only ever seen one episode of any of these shows, I think, so I'm not sure if this makes sense as a collection, but I noticed that people often cross-referenced these shows in discussion so I thought it maybe made sense?)

Since the defenders is ramping up (hero team up show) it kinda makes sense to have them altogether :tup: 

I think it makes sense because they are somewhat loosely connected.  Not quite the Marvel Cinematic Universe levels of connection (although I guess technically they're part of the MCU) but still similar.  Not sure if other shows like Agents of SHIELD or the upcoming Inhumans should be included since they're not on Netflix but also technically part of the MCU.  I guess the tone and content of the shows matters more for our purposes, in which case the Netflix stuff is distinct from the ABC stuff.

Also excellent work with splitting out the threads.  It's reminded me of a lot of things I've been meaning to watch but totally forgot about as they got lost in the megathread.

This is awesome, only now noticed this thread, but was wondering in the past weeks about the new movies & tv subforum.

Thanks Chris!

Whoa, only just noticed this forum. This is awesome! The megathreads were a little too intimidating.

This forum and Important If True will probably make me check in here more often again. I don't play video games as regularly as I once did (it's just kind of part of the mix now, in a much smaller way), so I'm enjoying this continued branching out of Idle Thumbs.