clyde

For Honor

I just got into the For Honor beta and the email message says I can give keys to three people on my PC Uplay friends-list. I'm not home right now but I think my account name is ferrofluid. If you want a key, add me and tell me here that you did so, otgereise I'll just assume you are one of these people that just randomly add people after playing with them.

The beta runs from the 26th through the 29th. I know very little about it. 

I'm also in this, for the record, if anyone's interested in playing together! My Uplay name is Kuruvar. Sadly all my keys are already spoken for (although FYI a lot of people, including some of my friends, are having difficulty redeeming invitations at the moment).

Don't give me a key unless nobody else wants a key by the ~26th. I'm interested in the game but not, like, obsessively interested. It does look kind of neat though.

I still have 3 invites, they don't seem to be in high demand. I have to invite through Uplay so send "ferrofluid" a friend request if you want one. Beta starts tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

Add me, I'm YoThatLimp - I really enjoyed my time with the last Alpha. 

For some reason it says that you are already invited when I try to invite you. Maybe you are already in the beta because you were in the alpha?

First impressions after playing through the training twice (once on keyboard/mouse, the second time with a xbox controller) and then playing about an hour of the practice/bot match:

I think the controller is way better for this game.

I was expecting it to be more focused on the creeps than it is. It really seems mostly like 5v5 Bushido Blade with build-up abilities.

The defending, parrying, guard-break stuff is not too difficult to get used to, but I feel like the relationship between them is not snappy (which is fine, it just makes it more difficult for me to understand what is happening. I have this difficulty with wrestling-games).

I like how much positioning matters in the the team-battles.

I enjoyed the beta from over the weekend. I'm surprised at just how much this game is Rainbow Six: Swords. Literally every RPG element and DLC hook is the same, presented in the same way. I like R6:Siege but I might actually be able to play For Honor because no one can sword snipe you from a belltower you didn't know existed on the map.

I liked playing the the mouse more after a few minutes practice, because in that control scheme the guard mode was a toggle and not a hold.

If anyone else is interested there's an open beta from Thursday through to Sunday. You can preload it on Uplay now. Unfortunately I will be away most of the weekend, but I thoroughly recommend trying the game!

On 2/6/2017 at 11:56 AM, Gwardinen said:

If anyone else is interested there's an open beta from Thursday through to Sunday. You can preload it on Uplay now. Unfortunately I will be away most of the weekend, but I thoroughly recommend trying the game!

I played the last few hours of that beta with a buddy, man this game is really satisfying. It's nice when you feel yourself go from flailing about button mashing, to learning a few combos and figuring out that characters "style" and how to use them semi-effectively. 

Yeah I enjoy it a lot. I'm looking forward to the release tomorrow (although really I should be working).

I like it, though the open beta was MUCH buggier than the closed beta.

There's apparently an entire single player campaign that no one has talked about or played.

I was struggling, then I got into it again when I figured out I'd been doing the wrong thing to parry. I quit early Saturday though, because there isn't that much to see. If I end up owning it I'd rather get on that grind in a release of the game that's permanent.

Brendan Caldwell had some mixed thoughts about it in his review, but I got the impression that, overall, he had a good time with it. I've certainly enjoyed the bits of footage I've seen so far, except for how much useless information the UI constantly seems to want to fire into your eyes

On 2/13/2017 at 0:08 PM, Badfinger said:

I was struggling, then I got into it again when I figured out I'd been doing the wrong thing to parry. I quit early Saturday though, because there isn't that much to see. If I end up owning it I'd rather get on that grind in a release of the game that's permanent.

I really need to figure out parrying/guard break - I still feel like I can never consistently do that in a real fight. 

WHAT THE FUCK IS A DODGE/GUARD BLOCK.

This game has way less documentation than it needs. What's an "automatic parry". Holy shit.

I'm having an awesome time with this game. The documentation is pretty bad, but once you learn to read the move list you can figure out how characters really work and how to use their abilities in hilariously unfair-feeling ways.

There's fortunately a good 1v1 bot practice mode under the How to Play menu option that lets you get to grips with a character. Plus doing a 1v1 against another character is a good way to learn how their moves work.

I got so mad at the game I uninstalled it over the weekend, which is healthier for me and the people around me.

I disagree you can just "figure it out". I tried to do the Valkyrie's shoulder pin (a move whose description makes no sense) for 20 straight minutes against bots and never figured it out. Did the move happen sometimes? Yes. Did the move, 80% of the time, not happen for absolutely no discernible reason? Yes. Is guard break countering LITERALLY impossible? Yes, except for everyone else apparently. The description for how to do that is also garbage, incidentally.

Game's broken in some pretty fundamental ways.

I'm not posting this in an attempt to get you back into the game necessarily, especially if you think it's healthier for you not to play it, but I will throw up some brief explanations for the sake of posterity.

The Valkyrie's shoulder pin relies on a particular mechanic that class has, called the "dodge block". When the Valkyrie dodges, her guard automatically changes to the direction of her dodge. This allows her to dodge into an attack and block it. When this happens, if you immediately hit the heavy attack button (the timing window is fairly small) she'll perform the shoulder pin.

Regarding guard break countering; currently the way it works is you have to hit the guard break button just as the opponent's guard break animation hits your character. However, this is pretty difficult and actually penalises you for seeing the guard break coming and countering too early. For that reason it's been said that in the next patch the behaviour will be reverted to how it was in the beta, which allowed countering as soon as the opponent's animation began.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:34 AM, Gwardinen said:

Oh man, that guard break change sounds great - but also means it'll be easier for everyone so i prepare to be spammed with it.

This game can definitely be frustrating - some of the timing quirks just have to be worked out through practice. It doesn't help that the tutorials aren't amazing, but there s that 1v1 duel mode practice mode.