Sign in to follow this  
noiseredux

anyone else excited about Resident Evil 7?

14 hours ago, Ostrich said:

I'm about to finish up playthrough #3 tonight. My first time through was on normal, second on easy to grab those extra items. Using those items in Madhouse almost feels like cheating, but then I remember just how much that mode hates me and I don't feel so bad.

Hide contents

Also: I feel like the beginning area with Jack and the hatch is the most stressful part of the game. Then I found out the easiest way to tackle it: Just go straight for the key. Don't even hesitate when Jack notices you. Just grab it, quick turn, and book it. Even on Madhouse, there's a good chance you can get to the hatch without getting caught.

I'm also about to finish up the third run, but I'm still on Easy.  I didn't get all the bobbleheads on the first playthrough, and I didn't want to try and rush plus get those and also check out a couple of other things. Getting the speedrun time down for the last two unlocks has been really easy though, 4 hours is plenty of time once you know what you're doing and you only have to kill the occasional molded.  I think I've killed 2 so far, and that was only because they were blocking hallways. 

How much different is Madhouse in terms of more enemies?  Are there like a bunch more, or just some more?  I know item placement is all quite different.  Though I'm presuming that with the X-Ray specs and the circular saw, that ammo management won't be too bad. 

5 hours ago, Bjorn said:

I'm also about to finish up the third run, but I'm still on Easy.  I didn't get all the bobbleheads on the first playthrough, and I didn't want to try and rush plus get those and also check out a couple of other things. Getting the speedrun time down for the last two unlocks has been really easy though, 4 hours is plenty of time once you know what you're doing and you only have to kill the occasional molded.  I think I've killed 2 so far, and that was only because they were blocking hallways. 

How much different is Madhouse in terms of more enemies?  Are there like a bunch more, or just some more?  I know item placement is all quite different.  Though I'm presuming that with the X-Ray specs and the circular saw, that ammo management won't be too bad. 

Mild Madhouse spoilers, in terms of enemy variety:

In some instances, there are actually fewer enemies. The trick is that you will be surprised with more powerful enemies early on, and everything will be quiet in areas where you wouldn't expect. The mid-game is when you'll start seeing areas where there are more enemies (more bugs, more molded, more fat molded). If you don't have the circular saw, ammo management becomes impossible when it's boss time (which is probably what it's supposed to be).

5 hours ago, Ostrich said:

Mild Madhouse spoilers, in terms of enemy variety:

Hide contents

In some instances, there are actually fewer enemies. The trick is that you will be surprised with more powerful enemies early on, and everything will be quiet in areas where you wouldn't expect. The mid-game is when you'll start seeing areas where there are more enemies (more bugs, more molded, more fat molded). If you don't have the circular saw, ammo management becomes impossible when it's boss time (which is probably what it's supposed to be).

Interesting, thanks!  I'm deffo using the saw for Madhouse. Maybe at some point down the road it would be fun to try Madhouse in a "vanilla" run without using any unlocks, but that actually stresses me out thinking about it, because I'm sure it's possible to back yourself into a corner where you have to go back multiple saves to try and conserve ammo. 

I finished my speedrun tonight, clocked in it at 2:44, which wasn't even all that efficient.  I went out of my way several times to get strong chems and gunpowder for enhanced ammo and to get shotgun shells.  Even skipping tons of stuff, I was still super overloaded on ammo at the end.  I hardly ever speedrun stuff, Souls games are some of the few that I did, and that was usually about sequence breaking more than anything.  It's kinda fun and stressful in a different way.

Ethan Must Die is hard yo.  I upgraded my video card this weekend and wanted to see how RE7 ran (fabulous, it turns out, my old card was deffo long in the tooth).  In 10is shots at Ethan Must Die, I don't think I made it more than 3-4 minutes alive.  The furthest I got was into the basement a little ways before things all went to hell.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:25 AM, Bjorn said:

Ethan Must Die is hard yo.  I upgraded my video card this weekend and wanted to see how RE7 ran (fabulous, it turns out, my old card was deffo long in the tooth).  In 10is shots at Ethan Must Die, I don't think I made it more than 3-4 minutes alive.  The furthest I got was into the basement a little ways before things all went to hell.

I'm not even going near that mode. I tried it once, started with a knife and the assignment "defeat marguerite", and when I learned I had to get the greenhouse key from the house where a barfing juice boy was camping out I said fuck it.

The other DLC is fun to replay, but I'm waiting for that story DLC to drop now.

as the dude that started the thread, I feel really embarrassed to admit that very early on in the game I turned into a total baby and haven't gone back since. Basically when you're first brought to the house (the section that starts at the dinner table) and you're able to start roaming around. Well, there's a part where you get a key but Jack starts chasing you and busting through walls and you need to make it to a locked trap door - and RIGHT THERE he catches me and shovels me dead. I tried several times and ended up dead every time and I found that section of trying to evade him long enough to unlock the trap door just totally stressful. I wish there was a Super Baby Mode or something, because I love the game and its aesthetic but I'm gonna have to muster up some more courage before heading back.

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

as the dude that started the thread, I feel really embarrassed to admit that very early on in the game I turned into a total baby and haven't gone back since. Basically when you're first brought to the house (the section that starts at the dinner table) and you're able to start roaming around. Well, there's a part where you get a key but Jack starts chasing you and busting through walls and you need to make it to a locked trap door - and RIGHT THERE he catches me and shovels me dead. I tried several times and ended up dead every time and I found that section of trying to evade him long enough to unlock the trap door just totally stressful. I wish there was a Super Baby Mode or something, because I love the game and its aesthetic but I'm gonna have to muster up some more courage before heading back.

There's a pretty straightforward way to handle that if you want a tip, it's the way that speedrunners handle it as far as I know (it's what was the recommended way when I did my sub-4 hour run).  It's in the spoiler.

Just run down the hallway and grab the key, don't try to sneak or fuck around or anything.  Do whatever exploring you want to do in the kitchen/dining/living rooms.  Before you go through the door, check your inventory.  The cursor should always still be on the the spot that it's on when you exit inventory, this is a way for you to prepare for things like opening locked doors when something might be chasing you.  Leave the cursor on the empty square where the key will go, so that when you get to the trap door, as soon as you open your inventory all you have to do is hit a button, not search for the key. then when you leave, just book it around the corner and about the time you get to the table, Jack should be about there to.  Grab the key, turn and make a beeline for the trapped door.  If you're lucky, you'll get away without a scratch.  If you're unlucky, he might tag you once but you'll still get away.  It worked flawlessly when I did it.  The first time I played through, I ended up running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

wow. I would have never thought to do something so simple as far as making things easier on myself logistically. Thank you for the tip. I'll have to find some time to give it another shot. Maybe after a couple of stiff shots, haha.