Sign in to follow this  
noiseredux

anyone else excited about Resident Evil 7?

On 1/28/2017 at 7:02 AM, noiseredux said:

yeah supposed one year VR exclusive... VR platform exclusivity - JUST what VR needs to catch on with the masses! Ugh.

My guess is we'll see some unofficial mod before a year from now. Maybe it already exists, I haven't looked into it. If VR worked right away then I'd have tried it. But honestly, it'll probably be too scary for me in VR anyway haha.

Oh I don't expect I'd last long in VR, but I at least want to try it that way. I'd buy the game now and hope for a mod, but Capcom are exactly the company that might release the VR version on PC as a separate game to purchase, rather than an update to the current game.

Are all you guys who are having graphics woes running AMD GPU's? I'm just wondering because my GTX 970 is no longer cutting edge, but I was actually all woahs and wows about how fantastic this game looks and the fact that I've not seen a moment of slowdown or anything. (Although I do have a G-Sync monitor so there's that too). 

@ostrich: Wow, you really plowed through this one! Guess you weren't as big a baby as you thought haha. I need to get back into this. I got so busy after my initial time with it. I'm hoping to play some tonight.

@Bjorn: That's such an awesome way to play. Buddy system! 

I'm running an AMD 7950, so your 970 is still a couple of notches above it.  And like I said, I had everything on medium/high for the first couple of hours, then going to the Main House just brought the framerate to its knees.

This is making me think I should consider a ram and GPU upgrade before Mass Effect comes out.

6 hours ago, noiseredux said:

@ostrich: Wow, you really plowed through this one! Guess you weren't as big a baby as you thought haha. I need to get back into this. I got so busy after my initial time with it. I'm hoping to play some tonight.

I picked up some momentum after the first few hours of the game, and I was fortunate enough to have a couple of days off. The amount of playtime that Steam is reporting for this game is a gross amount of time for me to spend on any game in a normal week!

So I spent about an hour this evening messing around with graphics settings and reading through some other posts around the web on it (yah PC gaming!).

First, there's one setting called Shadow Cache that seems to be crippling to some cards, particularly ones with 4GB or less memory (though some people with up to 8GB cards also reported issues with it).  Turning it on for me results in a ton of stuttering and micropauses that seem unrelated to the framerate. 

In general, shadow and lighting settings seemed to make the biggest difference for me. 

It's reported to be a VRAM hog, even for beefier cards.  I've only got a 3GB card, so I can't really say for sure, but apparently it can max out VRAM even on 6GB cards in some areas.

I like that Resident Evil went back to its roots, RE7 is certainly the most like Remake out of all the games. If they made a first-person remake of Remakes HD-remake, it would be RE7 (remake).

It seems kind of mediocre to me though, i get the impression that the main purpose of this game is to be a showpiece for Playstation VR. The story is just the bare minimum of an RE plot, but i guess that's to be expected. It doesn't have the well-designed puzzles that Remake had though, which is a shame.

And yes there are a lot of completely illogical and contrived things that just scream you're in a video game, such as the ridiculous way you have to buy weapons, but that's to be expected as well.

Reinstalled the demo from Steam since I noticed that it had been updated so that old processors work also. To my surprise it runs really well on my old aging computer. GTX 1060 is making miracles, it's the only modern part in my setup.

I may have to install the demo, I wasn't aware that it was a somewhat unique thing?  Or at least a bit different.  And you can get an item to carry over to the main game if you find it (nothing too special, but every little thing can help sometimes).

So apparently there are multiple endings, and multiple extra items you can unlock by doing particular things in a playthrough (pretty typical for REs).  I'm pretty jazzed about going back through this, which I almost never am for games.  But the REs somehow are the rare exception to that.  RE2 is one of the very few games that I ever mastered a speedrun on, being able to run the whole thing in a single sitting with no saves. 

On 2/1/2017 at 1:18 AM, Bjorn said:

I may have to install the demo, I wasn't aware that it was a somewhat unique thing?  Or at least a bit different.  And you can get an item to carry over to the main game if you find it (nothing too special, but every little thing can help sometimes).

If you do go for the special item in the demo (which you should do, because it definitely helps early in the game) I would recommend following a guide. Be careful of which guide you follow, because some of them include a lot of unneeded steps. There are some great speed runs on YouTube that include only the necessary steps, I would recommend searching for them!

Turning off Shadow Cache improves things for sure, there's still hitches when loading but it's less frequent and less bad. I'm still having fun and I think I'm getting close enough to the home stretch in it after about 4.5 hours.

I've just finished the Greenhouse area, so spoilers for that and just after it.

So I think what I dislike most about the story is that it feels like they have no idea what they're trying to do with it. After the Greenhouse where I kill a weird insect woman which is a brilliant Resident Evil style boss fight and totally monster horror. Then I got to the old house to find the arm and the piano is making noises by itself, there's some spooky little girl who appears then vanishes and lots of ghostly things going on, it's all supernatural horror style stuff, then on the way out I'm fighting monsters so it's back to monster horror again! Then I go back to the Caravan and I answer the phone and now it's that some hill billy has kidnapped my friends and he wants me to go to some place to play a game with him and now it's sort of The Hills Have Eyes style horror, this all happens in the space of 10-15 minutes, it's just all over the place in terms of tone, there's no consistency to it. I really wish they would have picked one and ran with it instead of constantly changing the style of game they want it to be, I think that's the biggest failing. It does feel predominantly like a Resident Evil survival horror game, but then every now and again they try something else and it just doesn't fit in or work for me at all.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:57 AM, thepaulhoey said:

Turning off Shadow Cache improves things for sure, there's still hitches when loading but it's less frequent and less bad. I'm still having fun and I think I'm getting close enough to the home stretch in it after about 4.5 hours.

I've just finished the Greenhouse area, so spoilers for that and just after it.

Hide contents

So I think what I dislike most about the story is that it feels like they have no idea what they're trying to do with it. After the Greenhouse where I kill a weird insect woman which is a brilliant Resident Evil style boss fight and totally monster horror. Then I got to the old house to find the arm and the piano is making noises by itself, there's some spooky little girl who appears then vanishes and lots of ghostly things going on, it's all supernatural horror style stuff, then on the way out I'm fighting monsters so it's back to monster horror again! Then I go back to the Caravan and I answer the phone and now it's that some hill billy has kidnapped my friends and he wants me to go to some place to play a game with him and now it's sort of The Hills Have Eyes style horror, this all happens in the space of 10-15 minutes, it's just all over the place in terms of tone, there's no consistency to it. I really wish they would have picked one and ran with it instead of constantly changing the style of game they want it to be, I think that's the biggest failing. It does feel predominantly like a Resident Evil survival horror game, but then every now and again they try something else and it just doesn't fit in or work for me at all.

Regarding the spoiler and shifts in tone/genre:

I don't disagree that the shifts in type of horror can give it a sometimes disjointed feel, but I also think it ends up maintaining some suspense and feelings of horror throughout the game that previous ResEvils haven't been able to do. Part of the problem with horror games in general is that they can't keep the horror rolling. It's difficult to maintain that sense of dread, worry and fear over the course of 6-15 hours. I think by shifting genres, it helps do that. Now, the way it is executed may not be perfect, particularly with what you noted on how it can shift multiple times in a short period of time. And especially if one of those genres isn't something that works for you. But I don't think going for those shifts is inherently a poor goal.

I've finally completed it, enjoyed it overall and the story makes as much sense as a Resident Evil story ever has.

It's a shame that they wait until maybe the last hour to even try to explain anything because it left me thinking the story and game was way dumber than it actually is, if the peppered some of this info in earlier it would have been better. They make some super annoying gameplay mistakes, like taking away all your weapons but that weren't too frustrating. The booby trapped boxes are just awful. The lack of enemy variety annoyed me most, because their health and attacks were inconsistent and it left it difficult to know what to expect from them. They also got very boring by the end and not remotely scary or intimidating from the overuse. I might be in the minority but the ship was my favourite part of the game, felt the most like a throwback to and older resident evil in terms of gameplay. Loved how you had a main goal and there was several smaller things to do. Would have liked if they had a bit more going between the various distinct areas.

Definitely the best Resident Evil game since 4 and the most authentic since Zero. I'm looking forward to seeing more games in this style.

With any luck, we might finish it tonight depending on when we get started.  Our schedules haven't lined up since early last week to play at all.

So continuing to scratch the RE itch, I've finished RE Rev 1 and now started into Rev 2.  Which is a much different feeling game!  The dumb scan for items mechanic is back, but it at least feels less important (a lot of the items you find are gems to cash in for BP) and it feels more organic being able to notice a flash in the environment rather than turn on the green filter in every room.  Still, bad idea. 

Raid Mode in Rev 2 supports local co-op!  That's been fun, the lady and I have spent a couple of hours murdering things.  The campaign also supports co-op, but it doesn't feel like it's something that's balanced very well on keeping both players engaged.  Good on them for including the option, but not a great fit for all players by any means. 

Oh, yeah, and on performance, I forgot to mention that I bumped up my system RAM from 8GB to 16GB last week, and it had a noticeable impact on performance.  I still can't put anything on high, but I was able to bump up more things to medium and maintain the same framerate. 

We finished it last night! 

This is easily one of my favorite games I've played in years, and the only AAA game from a big developer that I've loved from start to finish since probably Mass Effect 3 (not counting the Souls games, which I really don't think of as being AAA like other games, but I suppose they are nowadays).  I go through periods of thinking I'm basically done with the big budget mainstream games, and then something like this comes along. 

On 2/4/2017 at 2:31 PM, thepaulhoey said:

I've finally completed it, enjoyed it overall and the story makes as much sense as a Resident Evil story ever has.

Hide contents

It's a shame that they wait until maybe the last hour to even try to explain anything because it left me thinking the story and game was way dumber than it actually is, if the peppered some of this info in earlier it would have been better. They make some super annoying gameplay mistakes, like taking away all your weapons but that weren't too frustrating. The booby trapped boxes are just awful. The lack of enemy variety annoyed me most, because their health and attacks were inconsistent and it left it difficult to know what to expect from them. They also got very boring by the end and not remotely scary or intimidating from the overuse. I might be in the minority but the ship was my favourite part of the game, felt the most like a throwback to and older resident evil in terms of gameplay. Loved how you had a main goal and there was several smaller things to do. Would have liked if they had a bit more going between the various distinct areas.

Definitely the best Resident Evil game since 4 and the most authentic since Zero. I'm looking forward to seeing more games in this style.

Per your spoiler about things not being revealed until very late, I'm going to be really curious to do another playthrough and see how many things were foreshadowed well.  Like,

As an example, I think you could have figured out that Eveline was granny much, much, much earlier than I did.  I didn't put it together until as we were walking out of the salt mine and entering the guest house.  But yeah, as far as info dumps go, it is a mess to in the last 30 minutes go, "Hey, here's a bunch of files for you to read that explain everything."  I would have preferred a more organic or environmental reveal than a text dump.

I'll probably write up some more thoughts on it when I've got more time.  My only real complaint echoes one of thepaulhoey, which is that the lack of diversity in enemies was disappointing.  The molded by themselves are great enemies, but when they are basically all you fight except for boss fights, it definitely saps the fear out of encountering them. 

Regarding foreshadowing:

The ship is mentioned in a note at one point, but there's not a whole lot else I can think of off hand that's meaningful. I copped Granny was Eveline when I was on the ship I think, but a file kind of spells it out where it says she started to age rapidly.

I'm kinda itching for a replay, but I also kinda don't want to replay the sneaking parts which just didn't work for me. I'm looking forward to the DLC, especially the Not A Hero one which involves

Redfield, who is credited as Chris Redfield but looks a bit young...

22 minutes ago, thepaulhoey said:

Regarding foreshadowing:

Hide contents

The ship is mentioned in a note at one point, but there's not a whole lot else I can think of off hand that's meaningful. I copped Granny was Eveline when I was on the ship I think, but a file kind of spells it out where it says she started to age rapidly.

I'm kinda itching for a replay, but I also kinda don't want to replay the sneaking parts which just didn't work for me. I'm looking forward to the DLC, especially the Not A Hero one which involves

Hide contents

Redfield, who is credited as Chris Redfield but looks a bit young...

Oh, I didn't know that's what Not A Hero was about!

On that

So when he said his name was Redfield, both my daughter and I instantly responded, "Wait, what, that's not Chris, who the fuck is that?"  And then in the credits it says it was Chris.  Very strange.  And my understanding of the Resident Evil universe is kind of a mess, from not having played everything, played it years ago, etc.  But I thought that Umbrella was completely gone.  I'm almost wondering if this isn't some kind of weird alternate timeline.

I had the same reaction about Redfield to my flatmate. Wouldn't be surprised if the credits are a clerical error. I've followed the main series up to 5 and Code Veronica, in RE4 in the opening Leon says Umbrella is no more but then I think it doe still exist in some way and the one in this has a blue logo rather than red so perhaps it's just using the name?

I'll read up on the story now, it is rather complicated.

I finished a second playthrough on easy, clocked in at just under six and a half hours.  Getting sub 4 hours should be easy, because I still fucked around a bunch.  Especially since I now have the walking shoes, both defense items and the unlocked handgun.  Hoping I can actually bring it in under 3 hours with all that.  Speedrunners are already clearing it at near 1.5 hours.

Pro-tip for anyone who hasn't played this yet, save your Strong Chem Fluid for the Enhanced Ammo.  Strong heals really aren't ever necessary, and Grenade rounds have a few situational uses, but you'll likely find enough to not worry about making more.  Enhanced Ammo on the other hand is badass, and I didn't realize that on my first playthrough. 

I also didn't know that you can combine regular hand gun ammo with Gunpowder to make more Enhanced Ammo.  It takes 1 Gunpowder and 10 regular ammo to make 5 Enhanced Ammo, but if you find yourself flush with gunpowder and out of Strong Chem Fluid, I think the tradeoff is worth it. 

I'm about to finish up playthrough #3 tonight. My first time through was on normal, second on easy to grab those extra items. Using those items in Madhouse almost feels like cheating, but then I remember just how much that mode hates me and I don't feel so bad.

Also: I feel like the beginning area with Jack and the hatch is the most stressful part of the game. Then I found out the easiest way to tackle it: Just go straight for the key. Don't even hesitate when Jack notices you. Just grab it, quick turn, and book it. Even on Madhouse, there's a good chance you can get to the hatch without getting caught.