melmer

Nioh [Ninja Gaiden meets Dark souls 3 (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))) meets Bloodbourne (Dark Souls spin off (Demon's Souls successor)))]

Yeah I've heard it's a 70 hour game. Dark Souls 3 at 40-50 hours started to really out stay it's welcome, which is giving me second thoughts about this one.

If you aren't shy about co oping you're way through I would think you could cut a good 10+ hours off of that but even then it tooooooo loooooong.

And it's not even the sub-missions that do it most of those are short and satisfying and none of the main missions are bad either there's just too damn much of it.

It'll be interesting to see how people feel about Nioh once the dust has settled, but I generally find that this forum doesn't buy into hype quite so readily as many others, and are more likely to offer a fair assessment.

That being said, I played Nioh for the first time yesterday, for about three hours, and if you told me "Nioh is the best game that ever existed or ever will exist", I would believe you. I had a blast with Nioh yesterday, twirling my dual katanas and nimbly sidestepping around huge, ponderous yokai. The Ki Pulse system is brilliant! I played around with it a bit and got the hang of it, and can see how it could lead into some very long combo strings. I felt like a badass when I killed a big demon on a boat.

But I can see, if I take a step back, how certain elements will become problematic over the long haul (and it is a very long haul, going by what I've heard here). There's so much loot that it's fatiguing having to look through all of what you've picked up. I get that Team Ninja thoughtfully included the little up and down arrows on dropped loot, but that isn't really an accurate representation of whether the weapon is going to be the right choice for your build. I didn't do the research, but I'm pretty sure it only indicates if it does more damage or not.

The village that I fought through looked good, but there was nothing at all to interact with. No NPCs, no puzzles. Just barebones, run through the streets and kill the baddies. Could just doing that over and over sustain my interest over a long game? It's very good combat, but...

One question. The eurogamer review mentions a noticeable dearth of different enemy types. How true is this? 

There is not a lot of variety in enemy types or encounter design. A lot of your time is spent fighting other humanoids, with the occasional big demon guy or spider. Most of the encounters end up being one-on-one or two-on-one. And the level design sometimes feels a little bit flat. Sometimes there are surprises, but most of the missions are solely about combatting your way through this zone and then moving on to the next.

I still enjoyed playing it, but unlike the Souls games I don't really have any inclination to go back and play it again (a higher difficulty mode is unlocked after beating the final boss).

Nioh is good in the way a lot of video games are but not in the way the souls games are, so depending on what you want you may well prefer it but I wouldn't say it's better then the Souls games anymore then I would say Die Hard is better then some random art movie. It's ultimately very different from the Souls but still good, I just don't think it's the end all be all critics make it out to be.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:42 PM, Atlantic said:

According to Wikipedia, William Adams was born in Kent, England. So definitely not Irish then. Also according to Wikipedia, this game has been in development since 2004, and was initially based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script called Oni. Apparently the main character being foreigner to Japan is one of the few things to have carried over from the script. 

It does feel different to the Souls games... but it's still a Souls-like. The combat is a lot more character action-y than in Dark Souls, and it moves quicker than Bloodborne, but you're still collecting souls (or Amrita in this case) and fighting bosses and dying and doing it all over again. There are changes to the formula, like it being mission based rather than a big interconnected world and a few twists on the mechanics. I'm enjoying it, but I have played hundreds of hours these kinds of games. If you like complicated combat systems and loot-driven games there might be something for you, but that's a BIG IF.

I was loaned the game from a friend, I've played about 10 hours or so now. I'm enjoying it! It's got all the trappings of a solid 7/10, with all the positives and negatives that carries with it (just like every souls game is basically a 7/10). The difference is the combat doesn't feel like garbage and there's like a story with dialogue and stuff. Still plenty of things that rub me the wrong way, especially the menus and skills that go completely unexplained, but hey this is longer than I've played every other souls game combined and exponentially more enjoyment.

We'll see how long I can keep going, Horizon comes out next week.