melmer

Nioh [Ninja Gaiden meets Dark souls 3 (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor))) meets Bloodbourne (Dark Souls spin off (Demon's Souls successor)))]

Played through the demo today, good stuff :tup: very challenging. Came very close to killing the boss on my own before enlisting the help on an online co-op buddy.

Theres a second mission which is a samurai duel against a computer controlled combatant, in which I repeatedly got my ass handed to me. I've barely scratched the surface of the combat mechanics, a lot of which is locked behind a skill tree. 

A lot more complexity than the souls games. There's a gears of war style active reload thing that'll get you more stamina back faster and can boast your following attacks (which I haven't remotely got the hang of yet) 3 different fighting stances and 5 different weapon types. Plus multiple types of ranged weapons and ammo types.

lots of diablo style loot.

i think I'd appreciate the game more once I become more familiar with the combat as I've just been mashing this whole time. 

hopefully it reviews well. Little worried about the longevity as I fear the environments may all be a samey... hopefully they've kept a lot back in the marketing material. 

I think there's a Bloodborne missing from the title (which I'm told this game resembles more than any of the Souls game, for example in its lack of shields)

I'd say that's fair

I'd call Dark Souls a sequel to Demons Souls in most way, they even share mythology right? Praise the sun dude is in Demons Souls. Where as Bloodbourne is a entirely new creation built on the evolved frame work of Dark Souls over Demons Souls

Solaire is not in Demon's Souls unless I'm going senile. I don't think there's anything linking demon's and dark besides the usual From shenanigans like the moonlight sword.

He's standing on a semi circular balcony in a castle after you get past the dragon on the bridge... is that Dark Souls then? Both games have dragons on bridges. In fact based on that first castle level in Demons Souls I'd be inclined to say that Dark Souls was more of a soft reboot than a sequel.

It looks pretty slick! I love me a good Japanese setting. I just dug into Shadow Tactics for that reason (plus 'Desperados clone') and it was glorious.

So it sounds like this is pretty good from the reviews that just hit. But the fact it's made by Team All Women Have Watermelon Sized Anti-Gravity Water Balloons Strapped To Their Chests Ninja still has me wary.

I think they got around that problem this time by just having the women in the game be hideous demons*

*I'm just kidding, I don't know

I went ahead and picked this up because rampant consumerism is the only thing that can distract me from the fact that literally everything is on fire all of the time now and about two hours in it's, okay?

It's very traditionally gamey in ways the Souls games aren't and at the moment just proves why the Souls games don't have things like skill trees and cutscenes. So far all of the women have been pretty reasonably designed so that's a pleasant surprise.

At two hours in this could all change though.

I played the first couple of missions of this yesterday. The main character is Irish!? An the strange floating spirit in the beginning says "An treo seo" which means "this way" in Irish/Gaeilge!?

I think this is the first time I have ever heard the Irish language in a video game.

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I played the first couple of missions of this yesterday. The main character is Irish!? An the strange floating spirit in the beginning says "An treo seo" which means "this way" in Irish/Gaeilge!?

I think this is the first time I have ever heard the Irish language in a video game.

Oh wow this is interesting and extra weird because you're a samurai in America but it uses Irish? I was already amused enough to hear Dark Souls 2 have legit, irish accents rather than over the top stuff, let alone learn a team ninja game has Irish. I wonder if there's any big reason behind it or is it largely a fun style choice.

I had no knowledge of this game until recently and it took me forever to connect that this "Neo" game I kept hearing about on podcasts was in fact Nioh and not some new Matrix game.

5 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

Oh wow this is interesting and extra weird because you're a samurai in America but it uses Irish? I was already amused enough to hear Dark Souls 2 have legit, irish accents rather than over the top stuff, let alone learn a team ninja game has Irish. I wonder if there's any big reason behind it or is it largely a fun style choice.

I don't think it is set in America... ? It's just that one spirit creature thingy that used a couple of phrases in Irish, but it was subtitled in English. There are also audio log-type things that you occasionally pick up and I think that they are in Japanese. The main character has only spoken in English, but you meet Hanzo Hattori at the end of the first proper mission and he is clearly a Japanese man speaking English. It's actually really neat.

The main character is based on William Adams, who was a real life Englishman who went and became a samurai. In Nioh he starts the game locked in the Tower of London, and definitely seems to be Irish. Maybe Oirish, if you know what I mean. There's also mention of a Saoirse character, who is either the spirit at the beginning or some one else entirely. I haven't seen any confirmation on whether he is or not.

Regarding the Souls games, Ruth Negga played the Emerald Herald, and she grew up in Limerick as far as I know. And she was nominated for an Academy Award for something else. And in Bloodborne, Father Gascoigne speaks with some kind of Irish accent that I can't quite place, and the lore around him says that he comes from far away where they use titles like "Father." I thought it was a clever way to differentiate him from the other characters who mostly spoke with various British accents.

It's especially interesting since as far as I can tell William Adams wasn't actually Irish. Also I feel like there might be an article about how western cultural imperialism is the norm to such a degree that even the Japanese are making samurai games about white dudes but William Adams has long been a part of Japanese history so whatever. Still a little odd though.

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I don't think it is set in America... ? It's just that one spirit creature thingy that used a couple of phrases in Irish, but it was subtitled in English. There are also audio log-type things that you occasionally pick up and I think that they are in Japanese. The main character has only spoken in English, but you meet Hanzo Hattori at the end of the first proper mission and he is clearly a Japanese man speaking English. It's actually really neat.

The main character is based on William Adams, who was a real life Englishman who went and became a samurai. In Nioh he starts the game locked in the Tower of London, and definitely seems to be Irish. Maybe Oirish, if you know what I mean. There's also mention of a Saoirse character, who is either the spirit at the beginning or some one else entirely. I haven't seen any confirmation on whether he is or not.

Regarding the Souls games, Ruth Negga played the Emerald Herald, and she grew up in Limerick as far as I know. And she was nominated for an Academy Award for something else. And in Bloodborne, Father Gascoigne speaks with some kind of Irish accent that I can't quite place, and the lore around him says that he comes from far away where they use titles like "Father." I thought it was a clever way to differentiate him from the other characters who mostly spoke with various British accents.

I had heard America on the Waypoint podcast but Patrick wasn't sure so I guess I should've hedged my bets there. And yes, I also like the Irish ladder man in DS2 who sounds like a bit of a boyo. That's all cool info, and indeed I know what Oirish is. :P

I have been getting more and more intrigued by the game, and then I saw it for the first time today. If you told me that was just Dark Souls I'd believe you and the sails of game enthusiasm were completely deflated. I have not managed to like a Dark Souls, and I have not managed to like things people said in reviews were like dark souls but "maybe too much vania and not souls enough" (Salt and Sanctuary I'm looking and swearing directly at you). Be honest, is there maybe a thing here for me? I'm essentially Jeff Gerstmann's polite no fucking thank you to the entire concept and he is enjoying it.

4 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

It's especially interesting since as far as I can tell William Adams wasn't actually Irish. Also I feel like there might be an article about how western cultural imperialism is the norm to such a degree that even the Japanese are making samurai games about white dudes but William Adams has long been a part of Japanese history so whatever. Still a little odd though.

According to Wikipedia, William Adams was born in Kent, England. So definitely not Irish then. Also according to Wikipedia, this game has been in development since 2004, and was initially based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script called Oni. Apparently the main character being foreigner to Japan is one of the few things to have carried over from the script. 

43 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I have been getting more and more intrigued by the game, and then I saw it for the first time today. If you told me that was just Dark Souls I'd believe you and the sails of game enthusiasm were completely deflated. I have not managed to like a Dark Souls, and I have not managed to like things people said in reviews were like dark souls but "maybe too much vania and not souls enough" (Salt and Sanctuary I'm looking and swearing directly at you). Be honest, is there maybe a thing here for me? I'm essentially Jeff Gerstmann's polite no fucking thank you to the entire concept and he is enjoying it.

It does feel different to the Souls games... but it's still a Souls-like. The combat is a lot more character action-y than in Dark Souls, and it moves quicker than Bloodborne, but you're still collecting souls (or Amrita in this case) and fighting bosses and dying and doing it all over again. There are changes to the formula, like it being mission based rather than a big interconnected world and a few twists on the mechanics. I'm enjoying it, but I have played hundreds of hours these kinds of games. If you like complicated combat systems and loot-driven games there might be something for you, but that's a BIG IF.

I'm pretty sure that Nioh never ends and that Team Ninja is just making levels hard enough that I can't finish them before they've made a new one.

Seriously though this game is like 20 to 30 hours too damn long. I've reached a point where none of the levels put up much of a fight bosses included so I'd really like to get to hard mode but, it, just, keeps, going, on, and, on, and, on, and on. It's like when you go back to play a souls game you've already beaten and everything takes half as long because you know all the tricks but for some reason they've doubled the number of levels to drag it out.

Okay I did manage to beat it last night and I would say it's a solid B but not a full A+ SSS Bloodborne level game. I suspect we will still be seeing think pieces about the Souls years from now, and I think the only things we'll be seeing about Nioh is articles about how it's not *really* a souls game (which is fair) and eventually all the way it falls short of the comparison (it does). A good sequel could really make this something special for sure though.