darthbator

Best uses of vocal tracks in games

So I recently finished replaying the supergiant games and was reminded of how much I REALLY love a well placed vocal track in a game! The examples that really stick out to me are

• Bastion - Zia/Zulf themes
  • Transistor - "The Spine" and variants (or just red humming to the general soundtrack throughout the game while in Turn()!)
  • Red Dead Redemption - Going to Mexico
  • The Walking Dead Season 1 - Credits
  • Special Mention Final Fantasy III (VI) - Opera Scene (cause it never occurred to me a video game could that at that time)
  • Special Mention Final Fantasy VII - Sephiroth (once again never saw that coming but I should have expected it cause you know. CDs)

I've also noticed a more modern practice where games (like moon hunters or axiom verge) incorporate faux vocal tracks using either "computer esq" voices or fake phonetically driven languages. I think this is really interesting cause it adds a sort of diagetic immersion (that song is written in the language of this world) while aiding in the pieces ability to loop as BGM.

What are some of your favorite examples of vocal tracks in games?

I don't care about the stories or characters in Saint's Row the Third one iota, but this moment was so nice it almost made me forget that. Especially since my character had a Russian woman's voice, and sang in an adorable accent.

EDIT: I guess this is actually kind of a Saints Row trope, now that I check out the other recommended videos? That's too bad. SR the 3rd was the first one I ever played and it came as a total surprise.

I recently picked up Steamworld: Heist, and the  vocals that play in the space bars are absolutely amazing. They give a great sense of peace and rest from the action.

I don't know how I forgot about this

Upon relistening whoever composed the soundtrack for "Under the Skin" totally played this game!

I remember being totally miffed when I discovered about the RDR track when you get to Mexico. Stepping off the boat, I refused to take the horse that was ready for me (which triggered the song), because I first wanted to explore the surroundings a bit. Guess my wanderlust actually got in the way of a beautiful, scripted moment about... wanderlust.

Saints Row 4: Just for the parody, and one of my favorite Video game openings

Dragon Age:Origins  -  Leilani's Song. pretty cool when this came up but i don't know if it would be "best use of" 

Transistor is probably my favorite use of vocal music though