Chris

Idle Thumbs 296: Super Hollyweedland

Idle Thumbs 296:

Idle Thumbs 296

Super Hollyweedland
You're not sure how it got this bad. The descent was slow, but then suddenly it seemed the world had changed. Our heroes became villains, twisted, corpulent, ruling from a golden throneroom in a palace above the town. A palace you built them. You go to talk to him, but Super Mario looks past you, out into the world he has made. Mario doesn't see you, and doesn't care.

Discussed: Hollyweed sign, Super Mario Run, Super Mario World, anime robot in a jar, Glittermitten Grove, Frog Fractions 2

Man that ad is depressing, I like that it incorporates the ridiculous hours a salaryman has to work.

I'm surprised Jake never played the Portal 2 co-op, considering I recall him lamenting that the puzzle design in the main game is lackluster, which is a problem the co-op levels mostly do not have. You guys should consider streaming it, I bet that'd be a fun game to stream.

re: frog fractions 2, heavy spoilers (presumably, I haven't watched it as I want to have a crack at it myself), but there is a ~15min speedrun of it

Between this Idle Thumbs episode and last, I was watching the video blog of the first days of the GiantBeastcast (from around June 2014?) For their initial console shopping trip they visit Video Games New York and guess who is there to greet them? In the words of Vinny Caravella "A really weird looking Mario."

You guys are in rare form at the start of this episode. The Mario lore discussion feels like classic 2012 era Thumbs. Good start to the year!

Super Mario Maker 3DS has an ending credits sequence following its 18-World Challenge.  It's just the Super Mario sprite running slowly to some chill music, but it's nice and gives a small sense of satisfaction to a game that technically won't ever end.

Uh, pay no attention to the cheesecake shot of tutorial assistant "Mary O.", swinging her legs while inside of a pipe.

This episode is packed with good material for episode titles/wizard jam. Excuse me while I write a design doc for Animal Robots (Cool Robots)

In Super Mario Land 2, Wario has taken over Mario's castle, and Mario eventually defeats him and reclaims the castle.

Unfortunately for your wild theorizing, Game Informer ran an interview with Miyamoto where he talks about the whole cast being more of an acting troupe, and every game is just a different story: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

...they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors.

I think another way to look at it is Wario is how the people of the mushroom kingdom see Mario after their subjugation. 

Otherwise, great episode. Who doesn't love the excavation of Nick's psyche?

Also given how iPhone focused the show has been for mobile I'm surprised Chris doesn't use iTunes. What do you use?

3 hours ago, Korax said:

In Super Mario Land 2, Wario has taken over Mario's castle, and Mario eventually defeats him and reclaims the castle.

Unfortunately for your wild theorizing, Game Informer ran an interview with Miyamoto where he talks about the whole cast being more of an acting troupe, and every game is just a different story: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

It's too bad Miyamoto has fallen for Mario's propaganda and brainwashing. Any evidence that this is a false flag?

I sent an email about this but you guys may like it as well.  I wanted to recommend something to you guys based off of the robot senpai discussion. Season 2 episode 1 of the TV show Black Mirror. The title of the episode is "Be Right Back", and every episode is entirely different so there is no need to worry about following a story. All seasons are available on Netflix and the third season is a Netflix original. I'm not sure if you have heard of the show but it's really great. I don't want to spoil anything, but it does a good job exploring some of the questions the guys asked. 

(if you are still interested, season 3 episode 2 is heavily video game based and is also pretty good. They make a pretty clear parallel to Kojima)  

34 minutes ago, Jake said:

It's too bad Miyamoto has fallen for Mario's propaganda and brainwashing. Any evidence that this is a false flag?

Game informer is a well known pro-Wario rag

I love how the toxo parasite somehow made it into this week's episode. It's a fascinating critter!  For a more detailed explanation, check out this interview with Dr. Robert Sapolsky. The potential implications of toxo on the human race are very interesting.

I feel like this might play into the Mario lore from this episode. Supper Mario Broth had a post about this dude here on the right:

8VRMUow.png

...who was removed from Super Mario 3D World, but still exists as an unused graphic in game. Who is this orange S brother? Sario? Where does he fit into the story? 

Here are some possibilities, Sabin, Sal, Salvatore, Salvatorio, Sandro, Santino, Santo, Savino, Sebastiano, Sergio, Silvio, Stefano or Stephano. SUPER SERGIO sounds great.

He was probably the Smart replay/help avatar. Apparently one of the Donkey King games also has this. 

(This surely all ties together through Mario's role in Donkey King Jr)

1 hour ago, Jake said:

He was probably the Smart replay/help avatar. Apparently one of the Donkey King games also has this. 

(This surely all ties together through Mario's role in Donkey King Jr)

I assume your phone did some editing work on your behalf here but I hope it didn't 

On 06.01.2017 at 3:49 AM, juv3nal said:

re: frog fractions 2, heavy spoilers (presumably, I haven't watched it as I want to have a crack at it myself), but there is a ~15min speedrun of it

Reveal hidden contents

What does this relates to? Speedruns are in no way something to learn from about the game, what the game has in it, etc. The idea of them is to skip content that it's possible to skip. There is a 14 min run too already, by the way.

However, the normal playthrough would be about 6-7 hours, depending on how much time you would spend in the fairy builder (there are multiple ways to get into the FF2 part), and depending on how much you'll get stuck at places. My first run was about 9 hours, because I played the builder for about 1.5-2 hours and really enjoyed it. It's a full game with interesting mechanics and it's rather challenging to be good at it actually. It also has a bunch of easter eggs that don't have to do with FF2 at all.

Also, just in case, I've 100%-ed the game and know most (i'm 95% sure, all) of the easter eggs and secrets, in case anyone needs questions answered. I've also been one of most avid solvers of both ARGs, so I can talk about them too a lot.

I think it was posted more as curiosity than as a knock on the game! My playthrough was roughly 8h as well, though I think I spent less than 1h on the builder. I'll go back and try to 100% it at some point, though that might involve playing a different game as well.

1 hour ago, DukeBG said:

What does this relates to? Speedruns are in no way something to learn from about the game, what the game has in it, etc. The idea of them is to skip content that it's possible to skip. There is a 14 min run too already, by the way.

I wouldn't say that's true.  Speedrunning is about completing a game as fast as possible, often within certain categories such as getting 100% or not using glitches.  It relies on a combination of knowledge and skill to move quickly through the game rather than just not see it at all, though there are certainly times where things are skipped.  I do agree that it's not the best way to learn about a new game though.

I'm also going to use this as an excuse to promote Awesome Games Done Quick, a speedrunning marathon that supports the Prevent Cancer Foundation and is going on right now.  See this thread for more info