I caught up on two of the runs I wanted to see, Mario Paint and Battle Clash.  Mario Paint was pretty sedate, nothing exciting like I was hoping.  Battle Clash had an interesting start though.  An incentive was met to do mirror mode, which meant that for the first three stages he played by looking at the screen in a mirror with the Super Scope pointed backward over his shoulder.  This means that he can't aim the scope properly and has establish a reference point at the start of each fight to know where he's shooting.  It also meant he couldn't use bombs as they're triggered with a button on the front of the grip that is now behind him.  The rest of the run was fairly unremarkable.

I enjoyed the Mario races last night. Generally speaking, I think the races are way more entertaining to watch. I also prefer watching people play the actual games supernaturally well rather than relying having skills glitching out of bounds.

Sega Bass Fishing was a fun one to watch because of its ridiculousness. It's a short game but super RNG based because the big fish that can quickly end a level has a random spawn location and can be uncooperative to the run. It's also played with a fishing reel controller.

I've been tuning in when I can. Saw some of the DOOM run yesterday but it was very heavy on getting an out of bounds glitch then carefully walking to the exit which wasn't really that interesting to watch after the third level. Waiting on some of those Mario races to be uploaded now.

I found the DOOM run super exciting. I've yet to play the game myself and really want to dive into it sooner than later. That run was surreal to witness for myself, really gave a sense that running is far more accessible than one would think. I love watching these events just for the technical brilliance of it all, but I would never have the patience myself. Watching the DOOM run was different though, made me want to potentially give it a shot sometime.

The Hyper light drifter run: 

Shame the audio quality from Alex and Teddy was so bad :(

I found the DOOM run super disappointing. I like my speedruns to rely on cool in-game stuff, not out of bounds things. Like the original Quake Done Quickly runs.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. I was watching the Super Mario Sunshine race this morning and the glitches they use are interesting because it's usually to get into a level early or get a Shine without finishing a fetch quest. Also they often require some really cool platforming to make happen. The runs where they're using a glitch to skip every level are just incredibly dull to me. I get that there's skill in making the glitch happen, but when I see essentially the same glitch over and over and a guy carefully walking to the exit in near infinite black I tune out quick.

I was excited to catch the start of the awful games block since it kicked off with my favorite runner PJ but part of the way into the run we had a power outage and I ended up missing everything :(

1 hour ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I was excited to catch the start of the awful games block since it kicked off with my favorite runner PJ but part of the way into the run we had a power outage and I ended up missing everything :(

Batman Forever was bad in exactly the good way you'd want.

If you like Super Metroid runs, you should check out this run.  It's a rom hack that rotates the entire game 90 degrees except for Samus.  It really changes up the routing, making difficult areas trivial and vice versa.

AGDQ is over having collected over $2 million, bringing the total across all GDQs to over $10 million.  I'll be spending the next few days/weeks watching the runs and compiling a playlist of the more interesting ones which I'll link to on the first post.

The Undertale run last night was a great finale to the whole event. The runner did a really good job, and Undertale is a fun game to see people get excited over.