coughlinjon

GDC 2017 Meetup (Update: 2018 info within!!)

I stumbled into a Train Jam ticket and a GDC Indie Dev pass, but I am entirely new to the professional game development community. 

Will any Thumbs fans be on Train Jam or at GDC, and if so would you like to meet up?

I'm really excited to be attending both :) and I'm hoping to polish up a short demo level before I arrive for a new project.

We had a pretty good meetup with a bunch of readers last year on the Saturday following GDC at Pagan Idol; I was actually about to post and suggest we do that again, which would make it the evening of March 4th. 

Sarah had also suggested Whitechapel (which is a gin bar by the same owners I think?) last year, which is another good option, though I think we'd need to get a firm headcount and make a reservation. But they also have some food, which'd be nice, as I don't think I ate anything last time and ended up flying home with a massive hangover on Sunday. Or maybe we do a food first then go somewhere else for drinks.

I'll also be around all week (Sunday to Sunday, 26th to 5th) if people wanna less formally grab dinner or beers or somethin!

I don't think we would need a reservation for whitechapel if it was a weeknight and a few people got there early to claim space. 

Yeah, I'm just hesitant to do a weeknight thing 'cause so much other gdc stuff happens during the week, and Saturday tends to not have as much going on.

On the other hand, it might be cool for people to meet earlier on so we can make other plans for the week or say hi in the halls or whatever.

I'll be at Train Jam and hanging around San Fran for the week of GDC (not sure if I have a pass yet, fairly unlikely). I'd be happy to meet up, though I am still only pretending to be an idle thumbs reader, and not pretending very well.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun last year! I bet even on a Saturday that Whitechapel will not be super slammed if people show up around 5. Wasn't last year's meet up around a similar time?

I work a couple blocks away from where GDC is held, so I'd be happy to meet up with people for lunch. These bar suggestions sound good too, I haven't been to either but have been meaning to check out both.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:18 PM, Argobot said:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun last year! I bet even on a Saturday that Whitechapel will not be super slammed if people show up around 5. Wasn't last year's meet up around a similar time?

Yeah, I think we started basically as soon as Pagan Idol opened. 5 or 5:30ish. 

So...I guess let's officially plan on Whitechapel on that Saturday (March 4th) at 5ish. I think it's walkable from Moscone(?).

It's walkable-ish? I personally don't think it's that far, but I also don't mind a 15 minute walk. At the very least, there's easy transit access between the two.

Google estimates a 25 minute walk. It's a little over a mile.

I'll just throw out there that I would much prefer to get drunk at whitechapel than pagan idol but I am maybe an outlier who doesn't really like the drink menu at pagan idol that much. (Also whitechapel serves food!) I will go wherever the readers go, though. 

Pagon Idol seems nice, but honestly considering how crowded it gets I'd prefer Whitechapel.

I've been to Whitechapel the part of London, but not the bar near where I live, and i've been meaning to go for a while but haven't, so that sounds fantastic. Count me in.

This will be my first GDC so any guidance from fellow thumbs readers is much appreciated! Also down to meetup wherever. I haven't gotten to know many bars in SF, so Jake's proposition of a tastier drink menu and food sways my opinion that way.

10 hours ago, Broxxar said:

This will be my first GDC so any guidance from fellow thumbs readers is much appreciated! Also down to meetup wherever. I haven't gotten to know many bars in SF, so Jake's proposition of a tastier drink menu and food sways my opinion that way.

Not a drinking-related suggestion but if it's your first time in SF and you want to eat the tastiest burgers in the world, go to Pearl's.

13 hours ago, nkornek said:

Not a drinking-related suggestion but if it's your first time in SF and you want to eat the tastiest burgers in the world, go to Pearl's.

Hmm, I dispute this in favor of Popson's.

First time GDC advice? You'll have better luck meeting cool folks if you just bum around Thirsty Bear or that bar at the top of the Hilton rather than the big parties, but I guess generally I would recommend signing up for whatever big stuff is going on, then if you have even the slightest inkling that something more chill/intimate/whatever is happening somewhere, go do that instead. And if you know people you wanna hang out with are gonna be in town, make lunch/dinner plans early.

Branch out and check out some weird talks that aren't strictly in your discipline, and if you hear about interesting talks from people, write 'em down and look them up on the GDC Vault later. Check out Lost Levels, in the garden above Moscone North, I think it's on Thursday. And go to Experimental Gameplay Workshop on Friday, there's usually some really amazing stuff there, and also go take a peek at Alt Ctrl GDC in the expo hall. I also hear the gameplay workshop on mon/tues is really good? I haven't done it myself, but my coworker Tim helps run it I guess, and he's a truly astoundingly brilliant dude, so I'll go ahead and recommend that anyway.

Also there's a MA developer party thing on Tuesday that I'll be at, and there was a good turnout of other Boston devs last year. If anyone wants to come hang out with me, it's $10 but you get a drink ticket and it's pretty close to Moscone https://www.eventbrite.com/e/made-in-ma-at-gdc-2017-party-tickets-30889267631

Whoops that got long my bad

I just landed an Expo Pass which covers the events from wed-fri, mar 1-3, but I'll stay through Saturday if that's when thumbs are meeting!

On 1/17/2017 at 10:16 PM, Argobot said:

What time do people want to meet up?

I was thinking on the early side...I think we did 5ish last time? So probably around then?

edit: Also, gdc goin' folks, tickets for That Party are going on sale weds http://that.party/