coughlinjon

GDC 2017 Meetup (Update: 2018 info within!!)

5ish is fine for me so long as wherever we go has food.

Also hell yeah for that.party! It's been my favorite GDC event for years now.

I need to book myself a room for GDC. I'll be in town for about a week, but I don't know anything about San Francisco. I will probably be staying at an Airbnb and I won't have a car. Any tips on what part of the city to stay? 

2 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

I need to book myself a room for GDC. I'll be in town for about a week, but I don't know anything about San Francisco. I will probably be staying at an Airbnb and I won't have a car. Any tips on what part of the city to stay? 

If you're doing the conference and the parties, well, typically the parties happen near the conference so if you can be within walking distance that's ideal. Expect spikes in typical hotel rates!

On 1/31/2017 at 7:16 PM, coughlinjon said:

If you end up needing to go for a hotel instead of Air B&B, book it through the GDC website if you can, they have special deals and it's often significantly cheaper (my hotel costs nearly 50% less through the site)

It looks like I won't be able to stay very close to the conference center, so in terms of price I have similar options in SF around Excelsior and Balboa Park and then across the bridge in Oakland. Anything I need to know about those areas before picking a place?

17 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

It looks like I won't be able to stay very close to the conference center, so in terms of price I have similar options in SF around Excelsior and Balboa Park and then across the bridge in Oakland. Anything I need to know about those areas before picking a place?

Despite being across a bridge, Oakland may be your best bet. There's better public transport service from what I remember.

lol I used to work in the building right next to that, every time I walked past I thought about beppo's hole

Anyone want to grab dinner tonight, too? Not sure if I have anyone to eat with tonight and it's my second to last night in town. :)

Reply or DM, whatever you want

My boyfriend's mom came into town on short notice so I think I'm bringing him and her both tomorrow? #IdleMoms

1 hour ago, jennegatron said:

My boyfriend's mom came into town on short notice so I think I'm bringing him and her both tomorrow? #IdleMoms

Lol that's hilarious. I would totally bring my mother-in-law if she was around; she's a blast :)

I caught something at GDC and the idea of spending an hour each way barting from fremont to sf again to try to be sociable through the misery of con crud doesn't sound super great to me so I will not be there after all.  If there's future bay area meets after this I'll try to make it down for one.

On 3/10/2017 at 1:22 PM, Dinosaursssssss said:

It was! And now that we've done it twice, it's officially a tradition and will happen every year.

I'm down with this.

Instead of making a new thread in banter I'm just gonna bump this one!!!

Official Unofficial Idle Thumbs GDC Meetup 2018

Pagan Idol (thumbs)

375 Bush St (~1 mile from Moscone, 10-15 min walk)

6pm, Friday March 23