Jake

Idle Thumbs 294: Pan Pan Pan

Idle Thumbs 294:

Idle Thumbs 294

Pan Pan Pan
As the year draws to a close, things get a little out of hand. What starts as a discussion of Super Mario Run quickly gets away from us and leads us deep into the worlds of sound editing disasters, mascot shoplifting, the history of gaming retail chains, and how to tell when a store might be laundering food stamps.

Discussed: Super Mario Run, MARIO, Super Mario, Bay-Mission Market, Portal, The Mummy

Speaking of The Mummy's botched trailer being ripe for a tinkly piano cover in the vein of Nic Cicierga, SURELY you have seen this: 

I used to love used game stores. The prices were always crazy, but Multimedia 1.0 on St Mark's had so much cool shit. I felt like a boss riding the train home with that complete in box Jaguar CD attachment. It was a good place to round out your Game.com or Wonderswan collection. 

I think that place still exists in some form, in a new spot with a new name. 

J&L in Chinatown is good for (again, pricey) Neo Geo carts and other import stuff. I'd always go there after losing a few fighting game matches at Chinatown Fair. 

I miss having that kind of disposable income!

New York and Chicago still have a fair number of Mom+Pop used game stores, and yeah, they must survive on collectors because the prices range from dirt-cheap to vastly-more-than-expected. But they're fun to look around in! I especially enjoy perusing old PC game boxes, when possible. I (literally) do not have room in my life for old game boxes but I have repeatedly almost bought myself an old Monkey Island boxed edition.

9 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

Let's imagine that you were not able to watch the original video referenced in this week's Idle Thumbs. Well, unless it gets taken down, you can download it here. You're welcome. 

Thank you. I was trying to find an upload of it during the podcast and couldn't.

Does anyone have a link to the story about the Mario statue?

Maybe it is just me, but that "pan pan pan" line sounds like Wallace Shawn from Princess Bride

That Mummy trailer is amazing. Some prankster put together a supercut of Tom Cruise's screaming over other films. It's perfect:

I'd just like to leave this here:  

I also want to state that if the Thumbs don't wish to do this then that's totally fine, I just wanted to hear either way.  Thanks!