Gwardinen

GOTY.cx 2016

For me it's been a very mixed year. There are a lot of good games I've enjoyed, but there are also some that have been disappointing to me. Most of all, it's a year in which I've really been short on time and haven't gotten to play some things as much as I would have liked. In no particular order:

Uncharted 4 - Certainly derivative in style and gameplay, but I can't help but continue to love the dialogue and characterisation. I especially liked that this time Naughty Dog started bringing in thoughts of how people like this could ever adjust to a normal life, and how being an adventuring demigod doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to be honest with your spouse (light touches of these thoughts, but still). In contrast to Henke, when I got to the end of the game I felt very satisfied. The epilogue hit all the right notes for me, and I felt that enjoyable bittersweet mix on bidding a set of characters farewell that you get when a series goes out at the right time in the right way.

Dark Souls III - The best Souls game to date. Enough said, really. Again, it's not a revolution, but it steps forwards in all the ways I want it to. The world metanarrative has evolved a little more, the gameplay has evolved a little more, the systems like multiplayer have evolved a little more. I'm not sure anything will ever give me exactly the feeling I had playing Dark Souls for the first time again, but this was the mature capstone to the series I was pleased to experience. Supposedly there won't be straight line sequels to Dark Souls anymore, which I think is a good idea, but I certainly enjoyed this last one.

XCOM 2 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown infiltrated my life to a profound degree, and this is really a neat iteration of the same formula (boy, I'm praising a lot of competent sequels this year). I thoroughly enjoyed the role reversal of being the sneaky rebellion, and it's to my shame that I didn't spend more time with this game. I definitely need to go back and finish it.

Total War: Warhammer - I'm not sure I've played any game this year as much as I have Total Warhammer. I, like many fans of both franchises, have been begging for this pairing for at least a decade. It finally happened, and it was good. I don't have much more to say about this other than if you like either property you should try it, and if you like both you are almost guaranteed to dig it.

World of Warcraft: Legion - I got back into WoW in a big way with Legion. While I dip back in with every expansion, it usually lasts for a month at most. This time it was more like four, and I truly enjoyed the vast majority of that time. I'm not even 100% sure I'm done, though I've let my subscription lapse again for the moment at least. Legion nailed it as an expansion, introducing a whole host of quality of life changes while giving the best produced levelling story WoW has had since Wrath of the Lich King.

The Banner Saga 2 - Loved the first one, loved this one. Competent sequel again!

Hitman - What the hell, who would have imagined that this troubled development leading to an episodic release for a series that has never entertained that possibility would work out so well? Easily a return to the quality of gameplay of Blood Money, with a bunch of nice modern improvements, but it was the episodic nature itself that really transformed things. I've never been the guy that has played Hitman levels multiple times, but in this game I haven't even tried half of the episodes because I'm still occasionally returning to ones I've already completed to try things out in a different way.

Shame list:

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I really enjoyed what I played of this game! I just somehow... didn't keep playing it. I should try to remedy that in 2017.

The Last Guardian, Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2 - Have been looking forward to the Last Guardian for literally years, but I just don't have it yet. I group it together with Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 because I also simply don't own them yet, but I'm hopeful that when I get them I'll enjoy them.

Darkest Dungeon - Boy I like this game. Boy I cannot seem to play it. I have never started a run that I haven't fallen off of in an hour through just feeling like I'm not getting anywhere. The updates that make the campaign take half as long (~40 hours rather than ~80) are a welcome step in the right direction, but honestly they'd probably have to cut it in half again for me to feel like I was going to give it another go.

Firewatch - Underlined because wow I enjoyed the first hour of this game, and I feel fucking terrible for not having gone back to finish it yet, especially when I keep hearing such good things!

Inside - Again, I've played a little. I played it with a friend and kept waiting for her to come back over so we could finish... but I may just finish it on my own now.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I'm not sure whether it's me who should be ashamed or them. This was a game I had high hopes for, but... simply can't seem to get into. It's not that I don't enjoy it while I'm playing, but I feel no compulsion to start it back up once I close it down.

Gears of War 4 - I bought this game after hearing good things, thinking I'd quickly finish Gears 3 and jump in. I've still not finished 3! Why am I so dumb?!

Actually I just remembered, as sacreligeous as this sounds, I did start playing Clash Royale this year. That game really impressed me and it felt like a fresh mix of some strong ideas. The short fights and the nicely creative units are exactly what I want on my phone. Other phone game one-hit-wonders always underwhelmed me, but this was a home-run that stuck.

I even liked it's bullshit time-locked, random-roll, energy-gated app-store junk. I think it was intelligently designed and does a good job of keeping the momentum rolling between fights.

I spent no dollars and played the whole game!

I realised that I've only played two games this year. The Witness and Dark Souls 3, and I didn't finish either of them. I like Dark Souls 3, but I was pretty disappointed by The Witness. It was one of the few games I'd been looking forward to for a long time and thought could actually be good.

If Doom is as good as people say it is I suspect it would have been my GotY, but I need a new PC for that.

Here is my list, I write a bit about each game in my medium (https://medium.com/@Armoderic/my-2016-goty-list-e249c53801de#.gpx6safcs)

1. Danganronpa 1 and 2
  2. Total War: Warhammer
  3. Steins; Gate
  4. Earth Defense Force 4.1: Shadows of New Despair
  5. XCOM 2
  6. Dragon´s Dogma
  7. Stellaris
  8. God Eater 2: Rage Burst
  9. Elminage Gothic / Mind Zero / Stranger of Sword City (Yeah, three games in one spot, all of them are dungeon crawler jrpgs)
  10. Hearts of Iron IV
  11. Shadowverse
  12. Forgotten Realms: The Archive - Volume 2 (Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness and a couple more).

I'm gonna list my GOTY's over the course of multiple posts because I keep putting it off when thinking that I need to make one big post about it.

These are the games that defined my 2016 gaming.

Trackmania 2 Stadium demo, Trackmania 2 Canyon demo  and eventually Trackmania Turbo really established the franchise into my habit this year. They are all essentially the same experience so I'm grouping them together. Playing the multiplayer in Trackmania 2 Stadium demo  hooked me with the novelty of odd custom racetracks and odd custom playlists of music. After a while though I started to understand how much I liked having 5 minutes and infinite restarts to figure out how to get to the finish line. I realized that the full-speed tracks were build for 'w'a's'd' and the game really clicked for me as a way to keep my eyes and fingers busy while I do other things like chat with my wife as she watches a movie. I also grew an appreciation for sensibilities of the track-authors who would create architectural spaces that leveraged speed and orientations of the racers. Sometimes they even create instances of racing puzzles. 

Then I moved on to Trackmania 2 Canyon demo  where there is much more nuance to the driving due to the ability to drift in a much more significant way. The tile-set lends itself well to brutalist architecture and I began to appreciate that a lot. 

Finally I ended up buying and playing Trackmania Turbo which greatly simplifies the experience at the cost of removing the strangeness ans freedom of the previous two. Still, I found that the 5 minute, infinite restart formula continues to work well in multiplayer. The improved lighting allows for some neat aesthetic experiments from the community maps and I like how easy it is to collect them and put my own racetrack-playlist on a Ubisoft server. People tend towards Canyon maps which I prefer and after the U.S. presidential election, playing multiplayer as I listened to shoegaze was helpful for a week or two.

GOTY.CX 2016 DEFINITIVE LIST

1. DOOM

1a. DOOM AGAIN

1b. ok this joke is done, but DOOM is the runaway freight train GOTY. It's the biggest and best surprise, the best shooter, the best platformer, the best action game, the best soundtrack. I didn't even play the multiplayer much and this is still #1 with a bullet.

2. Titanfall 2. I loved the original Titanfall warts and all, and this one added a single player campaign that would easily be the tops for most years except for, you know...

3. Dishonored 2 I loved the original Dishonored also, surprise! I'm somewhat shocked this is so far down on the list for me, even at #3, but it took a little bit to get back in my Dishonored groove and I haven't finished it yet. Something in me wants to "enjoy it properly", whatever that means, and that keeps me from booting it up and just consuming it ravenously.

4. The Division This game is seriously awesome, and people didn't give it enough credit. It was a very good leveling experience, the Dark Zone was a wild west before everyone know what was going on, and the atmosphere and setting were second to none. It had problems, but the team has put in so much work on it during the year it's hard to ignore how much it's improved from an already great experience. The Survival DLC is good enough to be its own game. It's a masterful take on both their own game and the survival genre. Adding goals and a timer gives a lot of meaning to that kind of game.

5. Hitman I haven't "completed" hitman, but in terms of sneaking and stabbing it is definitely the second best one of those this year! To rest on its own laurels, it's seriously awesome. I love the ways you can play, I love how much control they've given you to either forge your own path or to point you in the direction of solutions. I love the presentation, and it looks great.

6. Firewatch I cried at the beginning of this game. Fuck Sean, Congrats Thanks Sean. I love how diegetic the dev commentary audio logs are, it's so very extremely Thumbs, but I also wish I could just listen to them without the game running even if I missed out on visuals.

7. Overwatch I really like Overwatch, but I don't LOOOOOVE Overwatch. It's a very good game, but in retrospect it lost me when you could no longer have multiples of the same character in a match. I also have very little connection to and am somewhat put off by how much attention is paid to everything about the game but the game itself.

8. Rocket League Yes it's a 2016 game fight me.

9ish XCOM 2 

10ish Stellaris 9ish and 10ish are games I enjoyed, but not the way "fans" of those kinds of games are perceived to enjoy them. I've not finished a full game of either of these, but I really like them and am happy to own them and I loaded both of them up within the last week.

My pile of shame - Hyper Light Drifter, Deus Ex, Witcher DLC oh man I've got to get to this, Inside maybe? - you're on blast to play these, me.

My pile of disappointment - The Witness - That first pretentious fucking audio log about being a scientist walking through a door made me want to punch the headphones and alt-f4 delete local content. I finished about 125 puzzles and I'm probably finished with the game.

29 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

Fuck Sean, Thanks Sean.

I think you mean "Fuck Sean, Congrats Sean"

looking at all y'alls lists and realizing that the only new 'popular' game i played this year was Firewatch, which i didn't end up feeling so hot on due to my specific experience with it. i played Deadly Tower of Monsters as well, and though i ended up finding it kind of dull, i was happy to help keep ACE Team making their weird stuff.

so, for games of this year, i'm going to have to post-up Zen and the Art of Transhumanism, which has so many wonderful, tactile mechanics. it's free and short, so there's little reason to not try it out.

thinking about games that came out in previous years but i first played in this one, i really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Dying Light. i've been playing through the entire MGS series for the first time, and both 1 and 3 have left really good impressions on me. 1 has great scope and level design, 3 has amazing plotting and great boss fights. Dying Light is just an incredibly fun place to run around in.

33 minutes ago, clyde said:

@Badfinger

You can still play multiples in Overwatch 's arcade mode.

A few people have said this, and that's not really what I mean. It's not that you literally can't ever play that way, it's that Blizzard clucked its tongue and shook its head and said "Oh no, that's not how you should play." It's a game that's already had all of its tricks and secrets polished to a sheen and codified into every ounce of gameplay instead of being discovered, and it took one of the few rough edges to find gameplay nuance in and sanded that away too. It's fine for ranked and competitive play if they want to codify that, but sometimes I ALSO want to be D.Va.

They'll end up with a pick/ban competitive mode within 2 years.

My list of shame casts a long shadow over the games I actually managed to complete in 2016, but here are my favorites:

Dishonored 2: I replayed the original Dishonored immediately before firing up the sequel, and it's incredible how many improvements they were able to fit in. The game feels just like the original at heart, but filled with meaningful incremental improvements: more powers, varied enemy types, larger, more populated areas, and levels that push the labyrinthine design philosophy from the first game to an insane degree. The Clockwork Mansion level in particular showcases just how densely packed these levels can be, and how accommodating they can be to the player's whim. 

Firewatch: Like everyone else here, I was very impressed by this game. The opening sequence was unexpected an impactful. What followed was an affecting journey with two incredibly well realized characters through a setting that seemed almost unfair in its beauty. With more and more narrative-driven games emphasizing player choice and good/evil branching storylines, it was refreshing to play a game that just had one fully realized story to tell. I can't wait to see where Campo Santo goes next.

Uncharted 4: Couldn't have asked for a better ending to the series. I'm probably in the minority as one who never really had a problem with the Uncharted formula (from a gameplay or narrative perspective), so I would have been happy with more of the same. While Uncharted 4 probably is more of the same to a certain degree, the improvements Naughty Dog made were substantial enough to make this the definitive Uncharted experience. The graphical fidelity is unbelievable, and probably the best looking game I've ever played. The addition of semi-open world areas was a welcome change to the normal gameplay loop. The grappling hook, with the way you could use it to exploit the verticality of some relatively large arenas, might be my favorite video game item of the past few years. Finally, the game concluded the Uncharted story in an unexpectedly affecting way. 

My List of Shame (I'm sure there are more, but these sting the most):

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
  • Hitman
  • Titanfall 2
  • The Last Guardian
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Stardew Valley

The Witness is my goty this year. It completely ate my summer vacation. I was obsessed. Thought about it constantly when not playing. Made me fill up a journal with what looked like the rantings of a madman. Really good.

Titanfall 2 had a killer campaign mode and actually got me interested in online multiplayer for the first time in my life.

DOOM had one of the most fun shooter campaigns I've ever played.

Firewatch got me super invested in everything that it did and I loved it to death.

Recore SHOULD have been my goty but was too broken in too many ways. Still worth experiencing for what it is, but god do I wish it had lived up to its potential.

BONUS 6th GAME! Picross 3D Round 2. 'Nuff said.

The "I haven't put enough time in but could possibly be on this list retroactively" list:

Mafia III

Rimworld

The Last Guardian

The "Huh. I thought this would be on the list" list:

Uncharted 4

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam

Forza Horizon 3 (It's still real good though)

It pleases me no end to see mentions of Dragon's Dogma in the year of 2016. I played it to death on the X360 and would happily buy it again either as back compat or remaster.

I wrote a piece on my top 5 as well as some honourable mentions.

But in list form:

5. Inside

4. ReCore

3. Forza Horizon 3

2. Overcooked!

1. Kingdom: New Lands

Honourable mentions:

10 Second Ninja X 

The Division

The Final Station

Titanfall 

Virginia

Firewatch

ABZU

Banner Saga 2

This is always a terrible moment in the year, where I realize

a. how few games I've actually played, and

b. how many of those games weren't from 2016, but classics or fare from recent years

So I always feel like I couldn't possibly give you a comprehensive list. Aww, I'll just fudge it.

Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-Spirit-of-Ju

Games from 2016 I played and liked

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice: Loved this iteration! A carefully crafted story with great gameplay pacing. It had a cohesiveness that went beyond what Dual Destinies offered, absolutely hilarious characters and I would rate it just below Trials & Tribulations. It shot upwards to be one of my favorites in the whole series.

- Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans: I love that this counts as a 2016 game. As far as adventures go, this is a supremely mediocre one. Short, with shallow or nonsensical puzzles and rarely a satisfying moment. However, I have been wanting to play this for over seventeen years and I enjoyed every last moment of it. Beyond that, it's a super interesting look at a pre-World of Warcraft Warcraft. The way Blizzard has imagined the universe at this particular point in time is so superbly wonky and off-beat, that that only alone merits a look.

- Firewatch and Inside: These two are closely linked to me. Both heavy storytelling games that use a grand sweep of atmosphere and setting to tell their tale. Moreover, I happened to play both in one or two sittings at a friend's when I would sleep over, so there's an additional nice memory attached to them.

memoria-dark-eye-sadja-1024x576.jpg

Games from earlier years that I still played this year and liked

- Shadow of the Colossus: I had always wanted to play this and boy, the HD remake did not disappoint. What a wonderful experience, and, surprisingly, so much less difficult than I had imagined it! Maybe it's the 'Dark Souls Effect', where stuff that seemed hard in the past doesn't anymore in comparison. But, really, it's a joyous, meditative experience to figure out how to get to the colossi and then battle them.

- The Dark Eye: Memoria: this is a follow-up to what quickly became one of my favorite adventures I ever played, Chains of Satinav. Memoria is a direct sequel and even though I took a half-year break from it in the middle, when I returned I couldn't keep my eyes (and brain) away. A lovely trip through a lovely realized world. Daedalic is at the peak of their game here, and I love it just so much that they have found a way to bring the classic adventure genre to the modern world without it feeling anachronistic. They make stunning-looking games that just ooze with care and love for their craft.

- Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: this was an unexpected delight. Over the Summer I bought a Wii U and have been playing on it every evening since then. Kirby looks so good in clay, and the game is both delightful, laid-back and chock full of fun touches. There's a gallery of collectible statues that have the most knowing, cheeky descriptions I've seen in a while.

Looking back, I sure played a ton of adventure games this year. For 2017, I expect much the same. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I do have a huge backlog of games still to play, and I'll certainly get a Switch somewhere after its launch. Looking very much forward to it!

On 12/23/2016 at 1:39 AM, Roderick said:

- Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: this was an unexpected delight. Over the Summer I bought a Wii U and have been playing on it every evening since then. Kirby looks so good in clay, and the game is both delightful, laid-back and chock full of fun touches. There's a gallery of collectible statues that have the most knowing, cheeky descriptions I've seen in a while.

I actually just beat this last week as well. I'm trying to clear out my backlog of WiiU games before the switch comes out, and found this one to be really fun. I didn't expect that, especially given the really lukewarm reception it had when it came out. Turns out that, aside from a final boss that demands precision that the controls can't really deliver, it's super good!

My problem is time.  Either I buy games a year after release, or I buy them at release but don't have the weeks off to play them all.  Just bought Hitman for example, and I'm still waiting to play Rocket League that sits in my library.  At least I've launched it once or twice.  

Anyway, I have two Gotys, both for exposing me to new kinds of video game experiences -- neither are in my wheelhouse but I've sunk dozens of hours into:

Dark Souls 3 - my first Souls' experience (thanks Nick) which I still haven't quite finished 60 hours in :P

Deserts of Kharak -- the first RTS I've actually managed to get into (thanks for the tip, Rob & Co.)

16 hours ago, miffy495 said:

I actually just beat this last week as well. I'm trying to clear out my backlog of WiiU games before the switch comes out, and found this one to be really fun. I didn't expect that, especially given the really lukewarm reception it had when it came out. Turns out that, aside from a final boss that demands precision that the controls can't really deliver, it's super good!

I remember the final boss as being tricky, but since I played it with someone, the additional help of Waddle Dee might've made it a little easier for me. I love how they handled the inclusion of Waddle Dee, who has such a different play style. The levels will add some specific challenges that aren't there for solo Kirby (the grasping hands). At other times though, Waddle Dee makes things that would be tough for Kirby alone a piece of cake. Helping out with bosses occassionally counts in that regard as well.

On 12/22/2016 at 3:08 AM, Henke said:

good looks, but dead inside.

Please put this on my tombstone when I die.

Rainbow Six: Siege is the game that I spent the most time playing and that I've played the most intensely this year. This is a game that has a multiplication effect to its highs&lows. Initially,  the variety of abilities to choose from as you pick an operator seems like the engine of permutation, but really it's the way the level design and destructible environments work with the 5 minute objectives. Slow team-play is optimal, but it's not always an option. Once dead, watching surviving teammates beat the odds or get out-smarted becomes something akin to a Twitch-stream with voice-chat. The demands of the game have encouraged a lot of folks to open up their mic and I don't like everyone I play with, but I work with them.

I've put somewhere around 120 hours into R6:Siege and I know the most of the maps intimately, it gives me an advantage for sure, but knowing how many possibilities there are while breaching or defending while a timer runs down creates an addictive anxiety that I have enjoyed immensely and frequently all year.

66 and 6/6ths has captured me and remained on my mind all year. I've never seen anything like it. I've been playing everythingstaken's games for a while now, but this one just grabs me and I've thought a lot about why that is. The draw of the fanfic inspired slice-of-life narrative pushes me to solve the puzzle and manage the dexterity required to get more of this interactive sigil's symbols on the screen. It's fascinating and I can't get very far in it. It's possible that if I did have the dexterity required to beat the game, then I might have quickly forgotten about it. The fact that it has a very small audience (pretty much just me) makes it feel like if I don't solve the game, then I will never know what it is and because of the way it looks, feels and sounds, I really really want to.

Overwatch is pop-art I can really get behind and enjoy. I love the discussions about how the design evokes fandoms and how those fandoms feed back into the game-as-a-service. Even before it came out, I enjoyed the art and feels surrounding it. As a casual-player, I feel like every match is pretty much the same, but really I just kinda want to play with my dolls and it's nice to have targets to shoot at, objectives to center the crowds attention, and have situations, abilities, and mobility necessary to sometimes run away.

Okay I adjusted my list a bit:

1. The Last Guardian
  2. Dishonored 2
  3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (It's my top 10 list and PS2 games can go on there if I want them to!)
  4. Dark Souls 3
  5. Shin Megami Tensei: IV: Apocalypse/Final (From here one there's not really an order yet)
  6. XCOM 2
  7. Pokemon: Sadomasochism
  8. Titanfall 2
  9. DOOM
  10. Stories: The Paths Of Destiny

link to my write ups here: http://vulpesabsurda.tumblr.com/post/155188004912/goty-2016

I think these are all the games that I played this year that came out this year: 

1. Banner Saga 2   -   love love love this series. Perfect blend of everything I like. The second makes enough small tweaks to be a significant improvement without sacrificing the feel and style of the original

2. Dishonoured 2 - love love love this world. I love how you can play as a super assassin or a sneaky sneak and now that you can choose to play 2 characters, it makes it easier to start a new run after the first (which I plan to do!)

3. Darkest Dungeon -  great grindy game, but since it is grindy i stopped playing a bit but i love how it is structured that you can jump in and do a run or two and leave. doesn't look like it but is a good lunchbreak game (if you do the shorter quests)

4. Firewatch - i loved the ending. was more like a book ending than a Video game ending (if that makes sense?)

5. Duelyst - its like Hearthstone, but better! A lot better

6. Overwatch - got into this late but its been fun so far playing with my friends! I hope to join the euverwatch sometime soon too

7. Ultimate Chicken Horse - I have never ever had so much fun doing couch co-op as with this game since we were early teens eating too much pizza and drinking too much soda playing super smash. 

old games that took up my time:

Finally beat Far Cry 2 so played through far Cry 3 right after. FC3 was probably more fun, but a lot less engaging. At the end I didn;t have it in me to explore the island further at all and ultimateely the game didn't leave a lastin impression

League of Legends - been waning off of this since my group started doing ranked (which is fine) and then tilting (which is ok) and then getting into fights (which is bad). Most of them migrated to Overwatch now anyway

Skyrim - never got really hooked but a few mods and christmas with my mom I found myself having fun doing fuck all in this world. I originally tried to roleplay it and do a sneaky character but then realized the systems in the game aren't good for that. So now i have 2-3 followers and we roam around kicking ass. 

Armello - for some reason I am having fun with this now that I didn;t before. Also, I guess loot boxes help with that?? Thought this game never got quite the credit it deserved when it was released. 

Invisible Inc - spent a lot of time trying to beat this on the harder difficulties/modes and never succeeded :'(

hearthstone - getting bored with this :/ not sure why. probably because I don;t have a lot of top cards and the meta always seems focused on one or two specific decks which makes it boring. Arena is still kind of fun though

Hmm, after playing with the new update over the last week, I might add No Man's Sky to my list.

Played The Last Guardian and Duskers. Revamped list. Made video.

Soundtracked with some of my favourite Video game soundtrack tunes of the year. :)