Sign in to follow this  
ThatguyPhil

What happened to Sean on Idle Thumbs?

Sean is great. But so are you all. If it's just too many cooks in the kitchen then what about Idle Weekend, E-Sports Today Appearances?

However it turns out Sean you brought some awesome happy quality to the shows you were involved in and I wish you all the best :>

He's living that hobo indie dev lifestyle and making games on trains.

Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame

Bona fide hustler making my name

Sean is great. But so are you all. If it's just too many cooks in the kitchen then what about Idle Weekend, E-Sports Today Appearances?

However it turns out Sean you brought some awesome happy quality to the shows you were involved in and I wish you all the best :>

I agree with this. I was super, super sad with Danielle leaving the base cast, but Idle Weekend has turned out to be a fantastic addition. Hopefully Idle Thumbs can continue to expand it's lineup to find a good balance between cast number and putting out the voices of cool people.

I really enjoy Idle Thumbs for the balance of goofy bullshit with really thoughtful conversations. It's for this reason that it's my favourite podcast.

This is also why I really enjoyed episodes where Sean was involved, as I feel he adds a great balance of goofy while also being able to articulate an introspective view in a very thoughtful manner. 

I have no intention of telling others what to do, but I personally would love to see Sean as a guest when others can't make it.

Hello! First of all, I just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of Firewatch and find the entire squad who handcrafted the game extremely inspiring!

I've recently learned to my surprise that you host a weekly podcast and began listening to the adventures shared between Sean (an intoxicatingly dangerous man), Jake (a living bb8 of introspection and articulate human experiences), and Chris (the greatest archvillain to ever live)! The chemistry was lively and passionate! Kind of like Super Mario Bros 3! Where anything is possible! Cast after cast I found myself learning new things, gaining new perspectives, and being left in stitches! My favorite episode was Idle Thumbs 142, Unmasking the Brian Burglar! It exists right in the heart of the golden age of Idle Thumbs episodes imo! It contains amazing chemistry between Sean, Chris, and Jake as they bring out the best in each other and push each others buttons. Every cast was a journey with a underlying violent pulse! It was exciting and made working on my college coursework so much easier! You never knew where the squad was going with the discussion. Kind of like how your hands never recovered from the first time you held fire of your true love, ya know? You dared to be different! Even talking about things other than games often! The podcast was lit!

All that feels lost now. The recent slew of podcast episodes have removed that freeform playfulness and feel very restricted. You no longer have banter or deep discussions like in 142, and Sean has disappeared without a trace! Why? Sean was the ember that gave your podcast its unique spark! Nick seems friendly.

Would you please consider at least listening to a couple episodes around 142? Just to get a feeling of what I mean?

Or at the very least, can you bring Sean back? I miss the adventurous direction of the podcast! Thanks!

There was a big discussion about this a while back

Short answer I think basically boiled down to: Sean got busy, and the rotating expanded cast was scaring away new readers. Hopefully he'll be able to guest more in the future, since I really miss his wider view of the industry -- he brought some really interesting discussions of the role games play in our society in general, which is something the other thumbs have interesting thoughts on but rarely comes up in the course of a typical thumbs conversation.

11 minutes ago, AllieTsundere said:

Sean was the ember that gave your podcast its unique spark! Nick seems friendly.

lol owned

I like to imagine the "what happened to Sean" questions are all posted by Sean's cat Mitten making accounts when he leaves the house.

I just binged Mad Men and then binged The End Of Mad Men and I heard Sean and it made me happy and then sad. Failing a Mad Men Rewatch podcast (?!?!?), the idea he proposed of joining the Twin Peaks: It's Showtime! 'cast as a TP virgin is a good one. Whaddathachances?

Sean featured on Idle Thumbs 276 - Hype and Anticipation.

He streamed Dota a handful of times on the Idle Thumbs Twitch channel.

Most recently he was spotted guesting on Steve Gaynor's Twitch stream. Steve Gaynor is another classic Thumb. Steve's streams are "hosted" by the Idle Thumbs channel, which means they show up on the Thumbs page when live but are archived on Steve's.

Sean's own Twitch streams including others with Steve are archived here.

Sean's twitter is http://twitter.com/vanaman. Like any good American, he hates his shitty orange President.