Jake

Idle Thumbs 292: Sit In A Row And Look At The Wall

Idle Thumbs 292:

Idle Thumbs 292

Sit In A Row And Look At The Wall
This week we take your questions, line them up, and knock them down. Yes, it's mailbag week! After Nick takes a wager in Dark Souls that will change his life forever (and Chris digs a hole in the ground) we go deep into the Idle Thumbs Reader Mail inbox.

Discussed: Dark Souls, Planet Coaster, The difference between game genres and genres in other mediums, The Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, The Stanley Parable, Friends you only connect with inside video games, StarCraft II, ICQ, "Low fidelity" game development, "Millionaire caves," Wizard Jam, Gomix, Many unsolicited promotional offers, The septic tank that is the underbelly of the Internet, Video Games

I said the internalization meter should be capped at 50% with the ring because wearing the ring only illustrates somehow still not internalizing that Dark Souls is hard!  I mean that's like the number one thing about Dark Souls.

And also for everyone who wants to listen with the Idle Thumbs theme on loop:

I don't recommend that, but I'm sure some would say the original direct-to-video release is better than the Driggs' Cut.

If you want a tidy, clean domain but still want to obfuscate it as much as possible - wizardj.am. I wish I had the $100 of disposable income to purchase that for this purpose.

Portal 2 (and Portal) are also both excellent comedy in games, but they've made themselves in a framework where you're always silent and often have a fixed or limited viewing perspective so you can't wander too far while the jokes are busy happening. It's so hard to recommend to people who want a funny thing but aren't video game players though, because in between the jokes there end up being some very intense first person platforming puzzle mechanics.

How much was that magewell hdmi to usb dongle? I went to the website, and then to the NA distributor, and then it wanted me to email them for a price.

e: found it on amazon!

Hey Thumbs, Nick mentioned StarCraft 2 has a new co-op Archon feature, which is true! But what it also has is a separate 2-player co-op mode where you play a rehashed campaign scenario that has been tweaked for co-operative play. This is one of my favourite new things in the game, because it lets you use the over-powered campaign units and abilities in a multiplayer setting. This mode is actually free-to-play with 3 starter commanders, and more commanders are unlocked by either purchasing the Legacy of the Void stand-alone expansion, or individually for US$5. The Archon mode that Nick mentioned is unfortunately quite sparsely populated, and finding balanced opponents might be difficult, so streaming it might not be successful, but the co-op mode is really fun and you guys can fall back onto it if Archon doesn't pan out. Also since it's not player-vs-player, I think it's more suited to the chill stream environment like we're used to.

My Last Night:
spydersvenom [6:04 PM]  
Was that your email on the newest idle thumbs about desert golf?

docrandal [6:45 PM]  
Holy crap really?

[6:46]  
I sent that to Chris and then saw that the news posting was about two months old and went 'idle thumbs email fail'. Well, Threat Eliminated.

Thanks Chris! Sorry for not including a phonetic pronunciation guide for my last name!

2 minutes ago, KodeAndGame said:

Hey readers - what was that github-like snippet sharing tool Jake was talking about? I forgot the name of it.

https://gomix.com

question about bad online advertisements:

1- Does anyone have a link to this millionaire hideout video? I've never run into this type of scam and while it's probably much less exciting than I'm imagining it to be, I'm still interested in seeing it.

2- What ad did Chris click? Did he want to be shocked by how a celebrity looks now, see what has experts hating on person, learn a weird trick, or find out how to get money from Obama?

10 minutes ago, SgtWhistlebotom said:

2- What ad did Chris click? Did he want to be shocked by how a celebrity looks now, see what has experts hating on person, learn a weird trick, or find out how to get money from Obama?

"This slyboots has one weird trick to make an underground coaster park. Tycoons hate him!"

How hard is it to register Jamaican domain names. Cause, we could have wizard.jm.

Edit: Damn. That wouldn't work. It would have to be wiz.org.jm.

Anyone else hear crackling in the audio? I used a couple different headphones so I'm a bit paranoid.

46 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

And wizardjam.game is only $499.99!

Seriously though wizardjam.zone or wizardjam.link are reasonable. I'd totally buy the .zone if somebody wants to set up a page of links or a redirect for me (I have no idea how to do web things).

I've been slowly plodding my way through Dark Souls for over a year now (albeit with large gaps in time I spend playing it), and hearing Nick blow through this thing in weeks makes me feel like a huge baby.

His final play time was over 50 hours and that was with him being guided by chat through parts of it, so it still took a while