Sign in to follow this  
Lokno

[RELEASE] Real Slyboots

You are the infamous cat burglar Slyboots, and you've been forced out of retirement because copycats are making a mockery of your legacy. Show them who the real Slyboots is! Use the arrows key or gamepad to move, collect the treasure and exit. But which one are you?

Better late than never. This is far afield of what I originally came up with, but at least it's playable. What's fun is that each level is defined by a single tile in Pico-8 memory, so I can easily create more rooms.

https://lokno.itch.io/slyboots

Here's the lexaloffle.com page so you can download the cart if you want to see the source: http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28158

PICO-8_0.png

I really like the aesthetics - but I think there might be a bug: I can't get beyond the title screen. Pressing enter brings up the menu, but pressing enter again dismisses it

3 hours ago, GammaBit said:

I really like the aesthetics - but I think there might be a bug: I can't get beyond the title screen. Pressing enter brings up the menu, but pressing enter again dismisses it

You might have to left click inside the Pico8 canvas to give it focus. You use the arrow keys to move in the game and those will get you past the title screen.

That was fun. I get twenty slyboots points! Interesting how after a couple of screens of confusion, I got pretty good (though I say it myself) at pulling my vision back to take in all four screens at once and subconsciously identify FAKE SLYBOOTS without knowing it. The additional level complications were introduced at a nice pace, just when I found myself becoming a recklessly confident burglar.

I stopped playing after 20 because I thought it was generating random levels but the OP makes it sound like there's a finite number. How many rooms are there? Did I foolishly quit playing just before the exciting finale?

This is great! Cross-posting comment from itch:

What a creative game idea! It was tricky to get the hang of, and then the levels got harder and harder. I really like this concept and it is executed perfectly on Pico-8! Great job!

The game concept is really cool! I imagine you can make really devilish puzzle levels where in addition to "finding yourself" you really have to worry about the other slyboots not beating you.

I also had troubles getting past the press any key screen. I rebooted the game and smashed my keyboard a bunch, and finally got in though.