Jake

the president really "has to go"

like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders

This is probably going to sound more racist than it is, but does anyone else think its completely odd that a company successfully uses the image of a southern colonel to market things to black people? That baffles me.

Will Kerry be any better than Bush, though?

Well it'd be hard to do worse, I mean, if Bush gets another 4 years I'd expect a whole bunch more War. Which will probably lead to the collapse of Thumb when all it's US staffers get drafted.

I forget the exact quote, but I believe it's something like "Politics is the shadow cast upon society by Big Business".. It doesnt really matter who's President, like George Carlin says, it's the 900 or so rich old fucks that run America, and most of the rest of the globe by extension.

Aristotle :

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers."

And we have no democracy :frusty:

While we're on racism... I think it's hilarious the way people in Ireland treat racism. Until about ten years ago, I guess there wasn't an awful lot of non-Irish people in the country. Then, all of a sudden, there was a LOT.

The Irish people are nice, if not a little shallow. They tried very very hard to accept all these new people. Of course, to me, it seems pretty normal because I spent a lot of time growing up in London.

If you're describing somebody as "a black guy" or "indian guy" or something in Ireland, they look around with shifty eyes and say, "Shh! Coloured!"

Even the police.

I think that's funny.

I'd be more inclined to worry about the effects this kind of attitude is going to have - when I grew up in Glasgow, I went to a 1500 pupil school that had about a 30-40% ethnic minority roll, predominantly indian and pakistani.

Racism runs the gamut from shifty eyes and whispering, to 15 year old schoolkids being stabbed to death, it's never a good thing..

Umm, not actually sure what my point was there - just probably that I don't think it's, umm, "amusing"..

I'd be more inclined to worry about the effects this kind of attitude is going to have - when I grew up in Glasgow, I went to a 1500 pupil school that had about a 30-40% ethnic minority roll, predominantly indian and pakistani.

Racism runs the gamut from shifty eyes and whispering, to 15 year old schoolkids being stabbed to death, it's never a good thing..

Umm, not actually sure what my point was there - just probably that I don't think it's, umm, "amusing"..

I'm laughing at the people with the shifty eyes, not the fact they shift their eyes when you say, "black". And I'm not laughing with them, I'm laughing at them.

I'm from Ohio, but I'm a couple months to young to vote. Damn it! Kerry better get Ohio. Check out Slate's election score card. Kerry has made quite the come back over the last couple weeks. Hopefully he'll out preform Bush again tonight gaining a boost to carry him through a couple more weeks.

I'm laughing at the people with the shifty eyes, not the fact they shift their eyes when you say, "black". And I'm not laughing with them, I'm laughing at them.

yeah I got that..

umm.. I probably shouldn't have started this - I don't find racism funny 'cos I've been exposed to rather too much (although "any" is too much) of it when going through school, so my first reaction isn't amusement - but that doesn't give me the right to tell /you/ how to act.. Damn this history of Western liberalism that makes me think I know what's best for the entire world! Damn it to hell!

So I apologise,

I'm going to shut up now before I make myself look like an asshole.

:cens0r:

can we get back to the bush-bashing? :yep:

mm - barring some last minute box-'o-osama incident, I think Kerry might carry it. Apparently no sitting Prez has tanked all three debates and still won; bush is 2 for 0 so fingers crossed for tonight :)

I will be watching it on MSNBC with a large whisky to hand, and something small and malleable to throw off the tv screen..

MSNBC is indeed the place to watch.
C-SPAN MOTHERFUCKER! NOTHING ELSE WOULD DO!
I'm from Ohio...
I'm in Texas and day-to-day I feel like I have infiltrated enemy territory and am waiting to be air-lifted to somewhere normal.

I don't have C-SPAN in my hotel room alas :(

I'm watching the debates now, and I'm finding it amusing that they're being moderated by a guy called Bob, so Bush and Kerry are starting their replies with stuff like "Well Bob.." :)

Good one from Bush just now :

"Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?"

"I don't know Bob.. I just don't know.."

Other than that they both seem to be quoting spurious "you voted X times for this shit" numbers at each other. Man, they could do with actually debating a little in these debates...

I tuned in just a little before the question 'what would you say to someone who's lost his job to oursourcing', and when Bush began with something like "Well I would say Bob..." I thought he'd given the hypothetical man a random name.

Well even though in this case the debate was being moderated by Bob Schieffer of CBS, I have a major bee in my manly scottish bonnet about the fact that Bob is pretty much the first name anyone ever chooses in situations like this.

It's comedic and inoffensive, and this annoys me, like, in films it's always :

"Thanks for those files Bob! Say, you around Friday..? OMG a terrorist! Noo!"

<BLAMMO>

"Goodnight Bob"

"G'night Mr Bond."

"No, goodnight Bob

<KRICK-THUNK>

"Oh my God, what happened here? What /is/ that mess?"

"That's what's left of Bob.."

<SQUITCH>

"Jesus, what am I stepping in?"

Think about it, the hero is never called Bob... :hmph:

Oh well, I can always go with my spare middle name :shifty:

:shifty: It doesn't matter if the voting paper will look like this:

I vote for:

[ ] [ ] [ ]

Bush

Kerry

I almost don't care who wins, I think both suck horribly. At least it's not Howard Dean running against Bush.

On one hand, you have Bush and we all know he sucks. But you also have Kerry, who should be able to win but then he does things like disagree with Alan Greenspan which is just retarded because Alan Greenspan pwnz everyone in economics.

:shifty: It doesn't matter if the voting paper will look like this:

I vote for:

[ ] [ ] [ ]

Bush

Kerry

It did? It will? Why the hell?

,,A vote for Kerry is a vote to die in your own bed at the hands of Dick Cheney."'

XD

Well I personally think it's great that Dick Cheney himself would kill everyone that votes for Kerry, most people just wouldn't have the time to do that and would just hire someone to do if for him.

(meh, I didn't mean that kerry supporters should die, I sorta meant that it's good that he has the free time to kill people himself)

Crap, we're thinking about two different things. I was thinking about how Kerry disagreed with Greenspan on the upcoming Social Security baby boomer problem. Kerry thinks that he doesn't have to do anything but increase the number of jobs to fix the problem, greenspan knows that Kerry is going to have to bump up the age for social security or decrease the amount that social security will give to each person. Of course, Kerry rather have the old people vote and have the USA lose even more money, than fix the problem if he becomes president (not saying that bush has never tried to appeal to voters, the gay marriage thing comes to mind). It's just that there's way too many people in the baby boomer generation to fix the problem by just giving more jobs.

And giving a tax break to the upper class can help the economy. Instead of just spending the money on stuff like food, they'll invest it instead, helping out companies, and causing the companies to start spending more money. Companies start recieving money from other companies, they make more money, and then they start hiring more people.

And giving a tax break to the upper class can help the economy. Instead of just spending the money on stuff like food, they'll invest it instead, helping out companies, and causing the companies to start spending more money. Companies start recieving money from other companies, they make more money, and then they start hiring more people.

Ah, that must be why we've recovered so well.

I do understand what you're saying, though I don't think it is really that effective. Especially not with the deficite we've got these days.

Ah, that must be why we've recovered so well.

I do understand what you're saying, though I don't think it is really that effective. Especially not with the deficite we've got these days.

Well I've heard multiple times that if the tax break wasn't given, we would have been in a much worse depression (well duh). The economy goes in cycles, tax breaks were really the only thing to keep the economy from being worse. I do agree that the government has spent the money in some retarded ways though considering that we're in a deficit, but we've been in a deficit for a long time.

(wants everyone to know he's not republican even though he sounds like it)

Bloody hell. This thread's very educational :) As someone who doesn't have a radio, never reads newspapers or magazines, never checks news sites on the net, and doesn't have an arial in the TV, I'll be sure to checks the thumbs forums for all the latest on the American election :yep: I particularly like Walter's last post there. Someone disagree with him now, go on...