Sign in to follow this  
rzbone

[RELEASED] A Great Way To Have Fun

Also this is now a devlog: 

- got the weapon progression done

- have thoughts on how to do enemy progression. Pretty much every time your weapon upgrades, the enemy spawners will begin to send out new enemy types. Player object acts as a kind of god object and (hopefully) adds to an array that the spawners all keep track of containing the enemies to spawn in. 

Working in game maker is super weird coming from an object oriented background. Ideally I'd just have the player have a reference to some kind of notification system, the player notifies the thing that it leveled up and it would notify the spawners to update their enemy list 

- Also thoughts on what the enemies should be, need to be easy to implement and tweak so here's the idea

- basic left and right based on collisions with environment 
  - bigger basic w/ more health
  - fast random movement
  - bigger faster random movement w/ more health
  - jumping enemy (randomly jumps)
  - big jumper w/ more health
  - flying enemy (just doesn't have gravity applied)
  - bigger flying enemy w/ more health
  - dumb boss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So that feels kind of like a massive amount, but we'll see what happens later tonight!

Lots of progress made, only streamed part of it. It's an odd experience talking to what may or may not be anyone. A friend from Cleveland joined for a bit and my wife watched from the other room hah, so that's good. Anyways the game itself is pretty much done. It's balanced well enough I think, and now all that's left is some finishing touches with regards to sound. Tomorrow I plan on recording those.

have_fun.gif

Basic but solid and I it was nice to hear such a... biographical? ... commentary.

7 hours ago, Ben X said:

Basic but solid and I it was nice to hear such a... biographical? ... commentary.

Thanks for playing! My whole life is about to totally change so yea, definitely biographical, but I thought interesting as this would be one last chance to throw myself into making something for a couple days without worrying about the survival of another human (for awhile at least).

I got to (what I assume is the end boss) twice and he got me. Pretty tough little game, but I like a lot of what you have here. The strange muted, electronic sounds are nice, and the increasing abilities are also cool. Think I could use a little feedback when I am hitting the enemies or something. At first I didn't think I was doing anything to them at all.

Nice work, and good luck with the little one!

(cross posted from itch)

On 12/9/2016 at 10:10 PM, Travis said:

I got to (what I assume is the end boss) twice and he got me. Pretty tough little game, but I like a lot of what you have here. The strange muted, electronic sounds are nice, and the increasing abilities are also cool. Think I could use a little feedback when I am hitting the enemies or something. At first I didn't think I was doing anything to them at all.

Nice work, and good luck with the little one!

(cross posted from itch)

Thanks! I've updated the game to add in that feedback for when you hit an enemy, and a bit more for when they hit you. I also added a bit more feedback on what's going on with your character's abilities.

have_fun.gif