SL128

Nick Plays FROM; Currently - Bloodborne

Nick, if you want to farm vials, it is not as annoying or intense as you think it is. 

Wake up at the Central Yharnam lamp, right near where you got the flamesprayer. (1) Head left and down some stairs. There's an easy dude there. Kill him, he usually drops a vial or two. Head down more stairs and there's a door in front of you. Kill the dude in there, he might drop some. Kill the old wheelchair man, he always drops 5 quicksilver bullets. You have spent maybe 1 minute doing this. Head outside the house (not the way you came) and through a hallway, turn left and kill the two trolls (2). Practice parrying if you want. These guys almost always drop vials. Head back to the house, and go upstairs, killing two dudes upstairs. More vial possibilities. Outside and up the stairs there is another easy dude, two werewolves (again, good chances for vials), (3) and in the other direction (towards where you fought the cleric beast) a troll and some ravens. The troll will also drop some vials, usually. And past the troll there's a lamp (4). 

This loop takes ~5ish minutes, and it will usually net you a pile of vials and some quicksilver bullets. If you want to quickly get vials before a boss, do this instead of trying to BUY VIALS. The only time you should buy vials is if you have some extra echoes after leveling and you want a way to use them.

You can do this while chatting with the stream between boss attempts, and it will be just as fast as when you fumble around with the menu furiously drinking coldblood dews. Now that you have confidence with both werewolves and trolls this little loop should be no problem. TRUST ME. 

You can watch me do it in this portion of my latest run. (no spoilers, it's all places you've been before) In three minutes, I collected 14 blood vials, and 5 quicksilver bullets

EDIT: Here is a map, referenced above with numbers. 

wQP3TpQ.png

It's been almost a month since I've been sent the clips, so here's an update:

Over the past few weeks, I'd been instead working on job applications. Starting today, however, progress is resuming. At this rate, I expect to be finished by the end of the month.

Also, here's one of the best and most naiive clips I've found while moving through them:https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/BadBeaverPipeHype

On 2/18/2017 at 10:39 AM, SL128 said:

It's been almost a month since I've been sent the clips, so here's an update:

Over the past few weeks, I'd been instead working on job applications. Starting today, however, progress is resuming. At this rate, I expect to be finished by the end of the month.

Also, here's one of the best and most naiive clips I've found while moving through them:https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/BadBeaverPipeHype

Oh that's gonna make a real nice jump cut one day

Nick's just taking some time to farm vials in preparation for the rest of the game. 

On 2/21/2017 at 11:37 AM, RubixsQube said:

Did I miss something...has Nick taken an extended Bloodborne Break? 

I did. I have. I am. Sorry! The next episode of Thumbs has some explanation. But yeah, the vial farming was burning me out a little bit. I may stream another game for a week and come back to Bloodborne when I'm feeling more fresh. Or I may just play Bloodborne more sporadically than I played Dark Souls, to kind of spread out the farming, haha. Not sure. I'll definitely beat it, but yeah, I wish it had Dark Souls' health system. :/ 

4 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

I did. I have. I am. Sorry! The next episode of Thumbs has some explanation. But yeah, the vial farming was burning me out a little bit. I may stream another game for a week and come back to Bloodborne when I'm feeling more fresh. Or I may just play Bloodborne more sporadically than I played Dark Souls, to kind of spread out the farming, haha. Not sure. I'll definitely beat it, but yeah, I wish it had Dark Souls' health system. :/ 

I really do think that you could get back up and running if you followed my guide above for like, ten to fifteen minutes. You're going to need to get back into practice, and this provides a pretty good ramp in terms of enemy difficulty, while also allowing you to build up blood vials and quicksilver bullets. Also, you didn't, at all, finish exploring much of Old Yharnam, which would further allow for you to collect echoes and level your character up.  You've got to level up your character, especially since Jasper started as a pretty crummy underleveled dude. 

It was fun watching you play these games, and, as you do have insight points to spend (or at least, madman's knowledge to potentially get insight points), at the very least I guarantee you that someone in the chat would love to come and help out with the fight. 

4 hours ago, Nick Breckon said:

You have to pick up drops from enemies, and seek out pickups in the environemnt. You rarely cared about that on your Dark Souls streams, but these are how Bloodborne makes blood vials acceptable. (Not good, just acceptable.)

I don't want to keep flooding the IT thread with BB talk, but I agree with others that farming and exploring is much more interesting than inevitable death rushes.

As someone who hasn't beaten any Dark Souls games yet, does the Souls series actually have good stories or are people just impressed at the way it hints towards that story with morsels through item descriptions and the game space? Or is it a combination?

1 hour ago, SgtWhistlebotom said:

As someone who hasn't beaten any Dark Souls games yet, does the Souls series actually have good stories or are people just impressed at the way it hints towards that story with morsels through item descriptions and the game space? Or is it a combination?

It has good stories, good storytelling (once you start to piece things together), and excellent worldbuilding. Here's a summary of the first game's stories from Dan Floyd:

And starting at 18:20, Super Bunnyhop discusses more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZLoHl5UH8&t=18m20s

I think my favorite big-picture video, though, is this from RockPaperShotgun's fail forward series; 9:48-15:32 being the most interesting part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Td0aesimw&t=9m48s

From watching the vods, I saw that JasonSavior made this amazing image that nobody seemed to react to.

C8IVJt4UAAEI5sx.jpg:large

Nick's single new DS3 stream whet my appetite for them and now I'm being left hungry. Life is hard. 

Very excited to see him reach the cheatin hitman section of DLC2.

14 hours ago, Kyir said:

Nick's single new DS3 stream whet my appetite for them and now I'm being left hungry. Life is hard. 

Very excited to see him reach the cheatin hitman section of DLC2.

Apologies. As evidenced by the end of the last stream, my internet has been having some problems. It was bad again today, but I'll try a test stream tomorrow. 

Solid ownage by ProblemMachine on the April 9th stream.

Also a quality stream. Nick smashed through DLC1 all while being hilarious and indignant. Someone oughtta make a mashup of all the times that bird fell on his head. I haven't laughed so hard in a dog's age.

Anyone with a better memory than me know where the two Estus Shards that Nick is missing are? I'm inclined to think that it's the Irithyll and Grand Archives ones, but it's a pretty specific thing to try and remember and I'm not very sure on either count. As for the last two Bone Shards, I'm thinking Cathedral and Grand Archives again (maybe?) I remember him getting smashed by the skeleton ball, but not whether or not he killed the wizard skeleton controlling it for the shard inside. I realize the Bone Shards provide a pretty negligible amount of extra healing at this point, but it might help anyway.