SL128

Nick Plays FROM; Currently - Bloodborne

On 1/4/2017 at 2:01 AM, Problem Machine said:

I'm mostly caught up now and like... I love Nick, but damned if watching him play Dark Souls doesn't sometimes feel like taking your friend to your favorite Chinese restaurant, watching them order the cheeseburger, then say "eh you can get a better one at In-N-Out".

lol this is perfect. I still haven't watched the most recent 10 hour long megastream...I just know at some point in it he decides he needs 50 strength for a hammer??

The Drakeblood sword shows up pretty late into DS3. Luckily the Hollowslayer greatsword owns.

15 minutes ago, sclpls said:

The Drakeblood sword shows up pretty late into DS3. Luckily the Hollowslayer greatsword owns.

Yeah, I was a little frustrated to discover, near the end of my first run through DS3, that the Hollowslayer Greatsword is essentially the Claymore but with more damage until quite late in its upgrade path. Still, that's a boon for others who don't have a love affair with the latter of those two weapons!

There's something interesting going on regarding Lucatiel in DS3 that I don't understand yet. Does anyone know if there's a lore video on this? What I mean is:

a| We find her armor set near the Rotted Greatwood.

b| We can transpose the Rotted Greatwood soul to get her sword, which has gained hollow-killing properties. What is the significance of this soul being used?

c| (minor DLC spoiler) In the DLC, I was invaded by Yuria of Londor wearing Lucatiel's set. It's definitely suggestive that the character most associated with hollowing in DS3 would wear Lucatiel's set, but I can't see what it suggests exactly

Really feels like they're going somewhere with this, but I can't see what it's meant to signify just yet. But, then, that's Dark Souls.

I assume her relation to the Greatwood is due to its role as an focus of curses. I would say she's the most emblematic of the undead curse's effect in DS2 since we see her progression toward being a hollow in its entirety, and while it's never explicitly states that the Greatwood took on that particular sort of curse from the people of the village, I don't see a reason to assume otherwise. As for the hollow-killing, I imagine that has something to do with her brother. Putting him out of his misery in his own hollowed state seems appropriate for her character. I'd be hesitant to read further into it than those relations.

Also, very ready for more stream.

I'd agree about it being mostly a symbolic thing if it wasn't for that invasion. That's just such a curious and interesting choice it's hard not to read into it. Maybe the second DLC will shed more light.

15 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

c| (minor DLC spoiler) In the DLC, I was invaded by Yuria of Londor wearing Lucatiel's set. It's definitely suggestive that the character most associated with hollowing in DS3 would wear Lucatiel's set, but I can't see what it suggests exactly

Where does this happen in the DLC? I don't remember being invaded by a Yuria in Lucatiel cosplay...although in my game I murdered Yuria pretty early on so maybe that changes things. (Oh? What's that Yuria? You want me to kill that nice man selling me spells? Didn't you and your Londor goons just trick me into having a small black hole embedded in my neck?! How about I kill you instead!!) If you see a message near her in Firelink saying "Try beating to a pulp" it could be from me.

I never even saw her in my game, since I healed the darksign very early with no idea of its significance. This may even be a prerequisite for her invading in the DLC for all I know. She invades on the ice flat at the bottom of the roots, just in the other direction of the champion grave tender boss fight, and kicks down the ladder I wouldn't otherwise have noticed. I recorded my run through the DLC, and just reviewed to make sure I wasn't misremembering, but no that's definitely Yuria and definitely Lucatiel's set, albeit using the Exile Greatsword rather than the Hollowslayer Greatsword

Are you sure that wasn't a player?  Also, that ladder appears when you kill the tree person at the end of the path you were on when you got invaded.

Whaat? The ladder appearing that way is so arbitrary and weird that the possibility never even occurred to me. How does that make any sense at all????

I guess I'm not sure that wasn't a player. I don't usually ember, but had it left over from the champion grave tender boss fight. I suppose it could be a player who normally cosplays as Yuria changing things up for novelty and inadvertantly creating Lore!

Problem Machine, I watched your vid - that was a human player. Here are 6 pieces of evidence...

• It said "Invaded by mad dark spirit Yuria of Londor!" and, of course, she is purple rather than the usual red (I can't remember if there are any Mad NPC invasions during main game, maybe Hodrick?).  Anyways. A red flag.
  • Normally NPC invaders show up close to where you get the invasion message...you had to climb the biggest ladder in Dark Souls and fight her on that little cliff. Kinda weird.
  • The way she fought was very human like - not even the great Maldron the Assassin can mimic a human like that! The way they went back up the ladder as you started to climb, ambush you at the top, roll around like a noob and dies in a few hits. 
  • Everyone knows Lucatiel is from Mirrah, not Londor! It just makes no sense. :) You didn't even get any sweet gear after you killed her - just a vertebra shackle! 
  • Checked the wiki, only listed NPC invasion in DLC is Livid Pyromancer Dunnel. 
  • Also the wiki says that NPC invasions only happen if you are embered and the area boss is still alive...but you had just killed him/them.

I rest my case!

9 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

Just a quick update: I'll be back streaming next week. Possibly on Monday afternoon/night. 

Excellent, can't wait. Though I have a class on Monday evenings so I'll probably miss your triumph over Blue Smelter :(

@Nick Breckon

I made a checklist for the rest of DS2's optional content so that nothing gets forgotten, and the instructions for finding it are all in one place. I'll be ticking these boxes as they're completed.

If anyone has suggestions for things I forgot, should improve, or otherwise change, let me know via a thread response or a PM.

P.S: I still haven't been sent the clips for the compilation video.

Darklurker you mean? I wonder if it should be saved for very last considering the resources necessary to attempt it. Definitely an interesting boss that Nick should at least try at least a few times (honestly this boss isn't that hard, some luck may be required but we all know Nick has that in spades!)

The last 3 on that list may break him if he doesn't want to summon any help. I've yet to beat gank squad solo myself but Nick has surprised me before (like when he beat what I thought was the hardest DS1 boss in the game on his 2nd attempt.) I've learned not to underestimate Nick when he hits that sweet spot of alcohol and focus!

I know a lot of people skip A.D. but its fairly easy if you use a particular strategy. I don't think too much time should be wasted here though as the run up is long and difficult and death often comes in 1 hit. Chat can instruct Nick on how to do it, he need only ask.

Yeah darkwhateverer.

I don't think gank squad is very hard, I'm surprised that's one people have a lot of trouble with. As long as you keep moving and hit and run it's pretty easy to divide and conquer. That said, it usually takes a few tries to learn the arena well enough to be able to do that.

Tigers are a pain, I just did them today. What I'd forgotten about that fight is for some reason they do HUGE durability damage. I lost one battle after nearly breaking my pursuer sword, repairing it with powder, and then breaking it AGAIN just before killing the second tiger. Very frustrating. I'd recommend Bracing Knuckle Ring for anyone looking to do that fight. Also, charcoal resin is super effective. I actually like the fight itself, though, aside form the durability thing -- it's just the run to the fight that's awful. I figured out how to navigate basically straight to it using my shadow and it still took like 3 minutes of running every time.

5 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Darkstalker

Also you can't get Vendrick's blessing without beating him and getting his soul first, which doesn't seem to be acknowledged.

Yep, I completely forgot about that covenant even though it's the last thing I did before beating the game!  I didn't realize Vendrick needed to be defeated for his blessing, so I've also added that.  I also agree that the gank squad isn't as bad as people say, but it's still mostly based on tedium and isn't interesting enough to justify it.

I think Darklurker is easily the best boss in DS2. Shame that it's hidden behind some bs and that a 50 str build will wreck it and make it seem really plain. It's the Dark Souls way I suppose.