SL128

Nick Plays FROM; Currently - Bloodborne

Really happy to hear that! I left the previous stream running in the background as I was (Wizard) Jammin' yesterday, and it was really rough at times.

I just finished the Dark Souls vod, and it was a massive rebound after the past few hours.  It was incredible to see Janel spontaneously do the Praise the Sun pose once O+S were defeated since she probably doesn't even know it's a thing.  Anyway, here are some good clips:

https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/HealthyPheasantUleetBackup

https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/SleepyCrocodileFailFish

Also, Nick, to make The Wizard flume work, all you'll have to do is decrease the height of the end by 2m, which you can do gently across segments as a slope, or maybe even with the platform itself.  Then it should be easy enough to connect the pieces.

Nick's build was actually a moderately challenging one. I've seen much worse players say that fight is easy because they're over levelled and using a greatshield. Doing it without a shield is a lot harder, great job Nick!

Also, not that it matters now, but I think Super Ornstein is a lot easier. Maybe killing Smough in the first phase is slightly harder though.

Very disagree on that last point. Super Ornstein still has the most dangerous attack, the butt stomp, and then also has that rather trickily timed spear impale that is difficult to dodge and can nearly kill you outright. Also, he has no respect for the sanctity of pillar cover, easily spearing you in the face through the pillar if you're anywhere near it. Also he takes less damage than Super Smough, generally.

I'm still watching through the Coaster part of the stream, but looking forward to seeing Nick finally triumph.

Now that he's past O+S, it's an interesting question what weapon he should use in the long run. Honestly I should have been telling him to pump dex instead of strength, dex weapons are a better fit for his playstyle -- oh well. Here are the options as I see them:

A - Lightning. If he goes lightning longsword he has a fairly reliable weapon for the long run. Alternately he could make a lightning claymore or something.

Pros: Simple. He can make a lightning longsword right now, and easily upgrade it with chunks/slabs as he finds them. He doesn't have to change movesets

Cons: There are enemies who don't take much damage from lightning, especially in the DLC. Also all the points put into strength would be wasted.

B - Stick with the longsword. It won't get more powerful quickly, but it will respond well to leveling.

Pros: Also pretty simple. Will get more and more powerful for a long time, but very slowly. He still doesn't have to change movesets

Cons: It takes a really long time to get to 40str/40dex, where this reaches full potential. He'll also need to find the +15 ember before it gets as powerful as a +5 lightning weapon

C - Go for Strength. He'd have to get a new weapon upgraded, but will immediately find his strength points become more useful.

Pros: Immediately more powerful, responds well to strength stat points in the short term, he won't have to level super high to have a weapon that's powerful in the late game

Cons: He doesn't have most of the weapons that he'd both like and would work well for this. The only one that might fit the bill is the Butcher's Knife, which is why people wanted him to try it out. Otherwise he's stuck doing a bit of farming or exploring to find one of the good ones, like the Mace or Man-Serpent Greatsword. I suppose he could use the Demon Great Machete, which is very good, but I'm not sure that's his style since it's rather slow. And, as above, he'll need to get the ember to make it +15.

What do you think, Nick? I can advise you how how to do any of these, or you can just wing it. I feel like a lot of people are starting to resent my intrusions, so I won't provide any more guidance without being asked first.

(I just got to the part where he somehow managed to luck into four bonewheels glitching through the floor HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK?????????????????)

2 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Very disagree on that last point. Super Ornstein still has the most dangerous attack, the butt stomp, and then also has that rather trickily timed spear impale that is difficult to dodge and can nearly kill you outright. Also, he has no respect for the sanctity of pillar cover, easily spearing you in the face through the pillar if you're anywhere near it. Also he takes less damage than Super Smough, generally.

I'm still watching through the Coaster part of the stream, but looking forward to seeing Nick finally triumph.

Now that he's past O+S, it's an interesting question what weapon he should use in the long run. Honestly I should have been telling him to pump dex instead of strength, dex weapons are a better fit for his playstyle -- oh well. Here are the options as I see them:

A - Lightning. If he goes lightning longsword he has a fairly reliable weapon for the long run. Alternately he could make a lightning claymore or something.

Pros: Simple. He can make a lightning longsword right now, and easily upgrade it with chunks/slabs as he finds them. He doesn't have to change movesets

Cons: There are enemies who don't take much damage from lightning, especially in the DLC. Also all the points put into strength would be wasted.

B - Stick with the longsword. It won't get more powerful quickly, but it will respond well to leveling.

Pros: Also pretty simple. Will get more and more powerful for a long time, but very slowly. He still doesn't have to change movesets

Cons: It takes a really long time to get to 40str/40dex, where this reaches full potential. He'll also need to find the +15 ember before it gets as powerful as a +5 lightning weapon

C - Go for Strength. He'd have to get a new weapon upgraded, but will immediately find his strength points become more useful.

Pros: Immediately more powerful, responds well to strength stat points in the short term, he won't have to level super high to have a weapon that's powerful in the late game

Cons: He doesn't have most of the weapons that he'd both like and would work well for this. The only one that might fit the bill is the Butcher's Knife, which is why people wanted him to try it out. Otherwise he's stuck doing a bit of farming or exploring to find one of the good ones, like the Mace or Man-Serpent Greatsword. I suppose he could use the Demon Great Machete, which is very good, but I'm not sure that's his style since it's rather slow. And, as above, he'll need to get the ember to make it +15.

What do you think, Nick? I can advise you how how to do any of these, or you can just wing it. I feel like a lot of people are starting to resent my intrusions, so I won't provide any more guidance without being asked first.

Hah well it's the nature of this game to disagree on this stuff. On my base level run I definitely did Ornstein last because if you hang out by his feet almost all his attacks miss you.

As for weapons, I'd say the Gravelord Sword, he can (in principle) easily get the materials to get it to +4 or even +5, he has about the right amount of strength to 1-hand it if he wants to and it has a pokey R2. I think slow strength weapons would trip him up, except maybe the Zwei since it's kind of user proof when you have poise (but that'd be so boring to watch). Other option would be the Claymore which is super versatile, but I think its 1h moveset is the stronger and Nick likes to 2h. To be honest though, I think he'll do fine if he sticks with the Longsword because that's kind of the nature of this game. Nick is actually pretty good at the combat, and if he min/maxed his build/gear as well as conserved his souls more he'd walk all over even the DLC bosses. Ever since they increased the boss soul rewards overlevelling is the norm, so I'm glad he isn't doing that. He could even switch to a cool dex weapon like Quelaag's Furysword and he'd still be fine I think.

And look, I don't mind anyone telling him to upgrade stuff or whatnot (though I think you might have a hard time getting him to go down the upgrade path you want :P), I just want to see him struggle a little while making his way through the game. With the rite of kindling you end up having a pretty large margin of error in the endgame I feel.

After checking out some moveset videos, I think the Butcher Knife is probably going to be the best weapon for Nick if he goes for the normal upgrade path.  For lightning he could stick with the Longsword, but I think going with the Zweihander, Man-Serpant Great Sword, or Claymore would be the best.  Even though they're slower, I think it would still help to switch since they have longer reach, encourage better stamina usage, and aren't as easily spammed at open air in front of the boss.

Creating a new thread for stream discussion specific to Nick and Dark Souls, since it is voluminous and highly technical!

(I somewhat arbitrarily set the post migration cutoff point at the beginning of Nick's current Dark Souls 1 stream, to avoid excavating months-old posts in the main thread.)

Btw PM, if you really want to guide Nick somewhere I think you should get him to do the DLC before Sif so he gets the alternate cutscene :)

You really want to get him to Manus with a +10 weapon?

edit: Actually I guess that you could go down into new londo and get the ember without getting the ring first, but that's an even more complex set of directions

I look forward to Nick fighting Manus, because the only time I did that boss I had no trouble. So I want to see why it's considered such a hard fight. Though Nick has gotten really good at DS, so maybe he'll bust him anyway.

Like everything it's kind of build-dependent. If you have best 2/3 of a powerful physical weapon, a good shield, and knowledge of the pendant it's not too hard. However, Nick doesn't like shields and isn't likely to find/use the pendant without help, so... things might get dicey. Still, not likely to be the wall that O+S were.

10 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

(I just got to the part where he somehow managed to luck into four bonewheels glitching through the floor HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK?????????????????)

I don't personally resent intrusions, especially when the game opens up like this and I'm directionless. I think pushing the rudder in one direction or another is necessary to keep the stream moving and to not have people pulling their hair out, so feel free to guide me to one level or another. I think once I'm going down a relatively linear path, I'm probably best left to my own devices until I hit a serious wall. 

Also, I think I'll stream a bit today starting around 330pm Pacific. 

I think eot's onto something with the gravelord sword, and you're actually basically exactly where you need to be to get it. It's a weapon that doesn't rely on stat scaling for its damage, so you can put points into vit and end as much as you like, but also won't waste the stats you've already spent since its requirements are pretty close to them. You're also SUPER close to it right now, so that's good too. In order to get the gravelord sword, all you have to do is find the open coffin in the long room with the titanite demon, get in it, and join the covenant you find there. You'll need a couple of points of dex to use it, but you'll get those easily enough with the souls you get in tomb of the giants.

17 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

I don't personally resent intrusions, especially when the game opens up like this and I'm directionless. I think pushing the rudder in one direction or another is necessary to keep the stream moving and to not have people pulling their hair out, so feel free to guide me to one level or another. I think once I'm going down a relatively linear path, I'm probably best left to my own devices until I hit a serious wall. 

Also, I think I'll stream a bit today starting around 330pm Pacific. 

Next time you are directionless, there are two optional but very cool areas you could probably do now. Look for a way to get up near the giant bird in Firelink Shrine to get started. I'm sure the chat will help if you need specifics.

Now that I've retroactively made this thread, I've edited the first post to include the episodes and their names, and have begun skimming for (probably temporary) quotes to name older episodes from before naming started.  If anyone has better suggestions for those, let me know.

If you feel like making any changes, Nick & mods, I have no problems with you editing the OP yourself.

PS Jake is best. 

Edited by Jake

Also am I wrong or should Nick upgrade his armor a bunch? He has spare titanite and upgrading armor improves it without increasing weight. For the most part I haven't seen him upgrade any (besides the boar helmet), and he seems to take more damage than I'd expect.

12 hours ago, SL128 said:

Now that I've retroactively made this thread, I've edited the first post to include the episodes and their names, and have begun skimming for (probably temporary) quotes to name older episodes from before naming started.  If anyone has better suggestions for those, let me know.

If you feel like making any changes, Nick & mods, I have no problems with you editing the OP yourself.

Nice work, I missed a bunch of these streams, so thanks for putting them together in one place!

Heh, he went straight to Sif.

I have to post the alternate cutscene

Also, upgrading armor doesn't mitigate damage that much in Dark Souls.