SL128

Nick Plays FROM; Currently - Bloodborne

31 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

:P

For real though that was one of the most fun twitch streams I've ever watched! Can't wait for your reaction to Blight Town, frame-rate issues permitting (this area is famous for shitty performance, at least on consoles)

That was Nick-induced failure though. Everyone else has to counterbalance it or he'll just spend all day running off ledges with 25k souls.

Omg, Oswald. I actually laughed so much it hurt. And then his reaction when he met Lautrec :D

Btw Nick, that gate you spent ages opening. The first time you get there, there's a Hollow who runs to the switch and pulls it. If you're fast enough you can stop if from ever closing. Just a neat detail.

I was kind of dreading how the Depths would be for Nick since he was so frustrated with the Lower Undead Burg. I was fully expecting him to need a full stream to get past the place. I got cursed a bunch of times and lost twice as often. Slimed a few times as well. It took me hours. Que Nick just waltzing through the thing. I don't think I've ever seen such a blessed thing. Tiny Head destroyed the Depths like nothing.

Admittedly my impression of the Depths may be biased. I hate the place. I also hate the boss, which Nick took apart with relative easy.

With regards to Nick's comment about the bosses of DS being inferior to DS3, I personally like the distribution and placement DS has of major enemies, minor bosses and major bosses. Or at least that's how I view it. And how the minor bosses (like Taurus, Capra, the dragon Nick still hasn't killed) are different, and either require of benefit from different approaches. Then again, I do agree that DS is a bit of a janky game. And it has some absolute BS moments.

All in all I'm not quite sure DS truly is worth the time and effort, unless you really enjoy the combat. I do love the world design though. And I love the streams. Nick is the greatest troll streamer in the known universe!

Kinda funny to hear Nick talking about how DS3 is more forgiving, while at the same time poise tanking everything in the game without even knowing it. It's crazy how much of a difference poise makes. I think he triggered bleed more times in his runs through the lower burg than I've done in all my playthroughs.

Well, DS3 does have absurdly overpowered rolling and estus, which I think is mostly what he's responding to. It will be interesting to see how he handles DS2, which has even less ezwin in its rolls but at least allows 8-directional rolls so he won't end up accidentally rolling into enemies as much (my bane when going back to DS1).

Rolling into enemies kinda stuns them in DS3, doesn't it?

Personally I've never been bothered by the locked rolling directions in DS1, but I've mostly played that game on kb/m.

Humanoid enemies yeah.

How much the 4 way rolling bothers you probably depends a lot on your play style. I'm very aggressive and never use spells so I'm almost always trying to close in, which means my most common roll is forward-right or forward-left, when available.

The only way this ends is with Nick playing all the way through Dark Souls 2 after DaS1. And then we will have the best streaming content on the internet.

You can avoid toxic by poisoning yourself, since you can't have both status effects at once, and poison really isn't too bad.

5 minutes ago, Problem Machine said:

Hm, are you sure? The wiki seems to disagree and I'm pretty sure I've been both before

Ah you're right. What I was thinking about is using the Dung Pies to self toxic yourself, because that toxic effect has a much lower DPS and that does stop the blowdart toxic from triggering. Not super useful though.

I have to say I'm disappointed Nick didn't get egg'd.

Nick: those small maggots that spawn out of the dudes with the eggs on their backs before the spider boss, they can do a grab attack that infects the player with a bug. Initially all that happens is that your character scratches their head every few seconds like they have a really bad itch. Then after a little while a giant egg forms on your head. This egg eats half of all the souls you earn and will eventually grow even bigger. The only way to get rid of it is by using a quite hard to come by item.

I'm catching up on last night's stream (wish I could watch it live but timezones) and I just want to mention the help vs not help thing again. I think Nick is actually doing pretty well, he's a lot further in to the game that I was at the same amount of hours played and he's not actually very high level. I also think he was doing well in Sen's so even if he misses the bonfire (which probably 10 to 1 he does) he's gonna get through the area fine; it's designed so you don't need that bonfire. While I get that it's really tempting to give directions I think it's obnoxious when chat spams directions in all caps. At least wait until he's struggling. Anyway, people are gonna do what they feel so I'll stop complaining about it now.

edit: Nick at some point said he'd go on a 10 hour quest to remove that Silver Knight

Funny that you can do that, but only after the boss hehe. Although you can get to Gwyndolin before, but I don't think killing him triggers it.

edit2: I thought it was quite amusing for the first four hours or so, but then I actually started feeling a little bad for Nick. I know that feeling of refusing to give up, your body aching and slowly getting worse and eventually realizing it's not going to happen. Really sucks.