SL128

Nick Plays FROM; Currently - Bloodborne

What a great stream.

Also, how many subs are there now?  I think you have enough for the next emote tier.

EDIT FOR NEW THREAD

Dark Souls 3

Dark Souls 3 part 1: "In my world, this is the ideal human form"

Dark Souls 3 part 2: "You can just call him Ted Crews"

Dark Souls 3 part 3: name

Dark Souls 3 part 4: name

Dark Souls 3 part 5: name

Dark Souls 3 part 6: name

Dark Souls 3 part 7: name

Dark Souls 3 part 8: name

Dark Souls 3 part 9: name

Dark Souls 3 part 10: name

Dark Souls 3 part 11: name

Dark Souls

Dark Souls part 1: "OH NO! OH NO! OH MY GOD NO! NO! Oh no! Oh god. Oh wow. Oh my god. Oh, man."

Dark Souls part 2: "The running away from stuff part? I feel like I could do that as well as anybody else."

Dark Souls part 3: "This doesn't feel like a shortcut anymore." It wasn't.

Dark Souls part 4: "Is there a way forward? No, that's an abyss."

Dark Souls part 5: The Long Dark Playthrough of the Soul

Dark Souls part 6: Conquering the Nightmare

Dark Souls part 7: "There are no quiet spots here! There are only ghosts!"

Dark Souls part 8: An Unexpected Beginning

Dark Souls part 9: "Manus, the guy that everyone's been talking about."

Dark Souls part 10: "People will be very upset"

Dark Souls part 11: "This game was getting very easy"

Dark Souls part 12: "Yes! Sweet rock!"

Dark Souls part 13: TRIUMPH

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 part 1: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 2: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 3: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 4: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 5: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 6: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 7: untitled

Dark Souls 2 part 8: still unnamed

Dark Souls 2 part 9: name here

Dark Souls 2 part 10: Hammer Madness

Dark Souls 2 part 11: Invaded by dark spirit Papa Francisco!

Dark Souls 2 part 12: "This is the good content!"

It's such a relief to watch other people struggle as much as I did in chat. They will feel the pride eventually too.

I felt very proud when Nick managed to not go up after I said DON'T GO UP.

Well, he didn't go very far up at least.

I mean, he managed to turn around before he died.

It was actually pretty impressive he got the gargoyles that quickly though, it definitely took me more tries the first time I played.

It's fun now that Nick's playing Dark Souls 1 and I actually know the game.

As soon as he attacked that NPC I knew how badly that screwed things. It made it a lot of fun to hear him reading that off chat a few minutes later.

13 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

It's fun now that Nick's playing Dark Souls 1 and I actually know the game.

Hide contents

As soon as he attacked that NPC I knew how badly that screwed things. It made it a lot of fun to hear him reading that off chat a few minutes later.

As soon as I read your spoiler I had to go to the archive and check who he hit.

He hit Oswald. Of COURSE Nick hit Oswald.

https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/BadHumanPMSTwin

Great streams! Watching Nick play Dark Souls without Kyir guiding him has been somewhat painful :-) Nick really has a pretty good handle on the mechanical combat when he actually feels like. Yet, it is exquisite how poorly suited, for the game, his combination of considerable persistence and complete lack of patience for all the other aspects of the game beyond the combat is.

A while ago there was a reference on the cast of someone's visualization of the worlds in the Dark Souls games:

Watching Nick play reveals that perhaps indeed series' designers were right to simplify the map topology.

Also, Nick, try to remember to homebone. If you have souls and things are looking dicy, remember the homebone.

4 hours ago, unimural said:

Watching Nick play reveals that perhaps indeed series' designers were right to simplify the map topology.

Thanks for reminding me of these maps. Might actually help me visualize what is going on. Though I suspect, in the end, I will agree that DS3 is the best approach to world design. 

4 hours ago, unimural said:

Also, Nick, try to remember to homebone. If you have souls and things are looking dicy, remember the homebone.

Nah.  Even when he hasn't been making 'progress,' he's still been getting tastes of what the game has to offer when he eventually goes forward, and he's at least had enough guidance+intuition to not persist at things he's not ready for.

To Nick: Those aren't literal maps of the games, they just represent the relative degrees of connectivity between areas.  DS1's world isn't that connected.

1 hour ago, Nick Breckon said:

Thanks for reminding me of these maps. Might actually help me visualize what is going on. Though I suspect, in the end, I will agree that DS3 is the best approach to world design. 

Here's a sort of an understandable map of pretty much the entire game. It's not detailed, but of course is still kind of a spoiler. You've been at the Firelink Shrine, Undead Burg, Undead Parish, and a couple of short visits to Darkroot Basin

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2015/04/Dark-Souls-Map-1940x1931.png

I still feel like that visualization of DS2's layout is purposefully unfair. It's certainly less interconnected than the first game (most games are,) but there's plenty of nooks and crannies and side paths to explore. Excited to see Nick get there eventually (and for more DS1, and for Bloodborne.)

2 hours ago, Nick Breckon said:

Though I suspect, in the end, I will agree that DS3 is the best approach to world design. 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. With the exception of Irithyll, I was rarely excited to explore the world of DS3. The world 1-1, world 1-2, world 2-1, world 2-2 school of design is super boring to me.

9 minutes ago, Kyir said:

I still feel like that visualization of DS2's layout is purposefully unfair. It's certainly less interconnected than the first game (most games are,) but there's plenty of nooks and crannies and side paths to explore. Excited to see Nick get there eventually (and for more DS1, and for Bloodborne.)

Agreed, this visualization is very unfair to DS2. A more accurate impression would have each branch looking like one of the DS3 branches. People tend to have a very skewed perception of DS2 because the disappointments coming from Dark Souls' exceptional world design were still fresh there. Since people were coming from that skewed impression of DS2, DS3 is perceived as more open and explorable than it is, despite being by far the most linear in structure and layout.

Yay, Dark Souls! I know what I'll do when I get home.

Regarding the world structure, I think you should withhold judgement until you're further into the game. Or to put it another way, I'll be curious to hear if your opinion of it changes. It's one of the things that sets Dark Souls apart from most other games, in a good way.

On 2016-11-20 at 1:25 AM, Kyir said:

It's such a relief to watch other people struggle as much as I did in chat. They will feel the pride eventually too.

Let him make mistakes. He got through DkS3, he doesn't need people telling him what to do. People seem to forget their first playthroughs weren't perfect either.

Sure, but I think part of the charm of these games is making your own way through it.

If some streamer doesn't find the bonfire in Sen's, the chat will for sure freak out until they make him or her go there. But lots of people, myself included, didn't find that bonfire on their first playthrough and that's completely fine. The game isn't made in such a way that you need to find every secret in order to get through it. I say let him play it his own way instead of playing vicariously through him.

I don't think I really did that much in the end (maybe some in terms of moral support.) I would definitely say that Nick's picked up on a lot of the patterns of these games in terms of what to look for, where to go,  how to fight, etc. He doesn't need us wailing at him in chat now, but it sure is amusing!

I mostly just don't want to see him lose a lot of progress and get discouraged. I mostly try to keep my peace but I really didn't want to see him die right before the undead parish bonfire by going up to fight the channeler prematurely. I'll admit, though, that this is just as much not wanting the stream to bog down with repetitive stuff.

Also, if you haven't streamed or recorded, there's a pressure while you're doing it to make some kind of definite progress, even if your audience is chill you want to give them something to watch. This makes it a lot more difficult to be patient and observant in the way the Souls games ask. The pressure of streaming is probably making Nick miss more things than he would otherwise, so it's only fair to give a hint here and there to counteract that.

That Dark Souls stream killed me. I am dead now. Kyir is dead. Problem Machine is dead. We're all dead.

I'm just kidding though, the stream was really great! I'm looking forward to the next one.

7 minutes ago, Nick Breckon said:

:P

You are the Fuckface Von Clownstick of Dark Souls.  Also what Kyir said.