BigJKO

[RELEASE] Mr. Puffin in The Dark Castle

The graphics in this are totally insane and great.

When you lose, is there something else you're supposed to do to restart? I had to ctrl alt del to get out of the application.

I forgot to put in a restart thingy, sorry! Alt+F4 works tho instead of having to go to the Task Manager.

Ill do a quick fix to make it restart properly tonight!

Updated!! It now properly restarts the level after you die. *AND* you can press Esc to quit.

This is absolutely beautiful - the directed opening moments, the music, the animation and of course the visuals. So atmospheric, I really want to spend longer in the castle! I'd love to see you expand out the castle a bit, lower the difficulty (I generally got about two punches in before dying!) and have some Hellboy-style backstory to discover, all creepy portraits and tableaux morts. Nice Mignola-esque thumb logo on the tiles, btw!

Did you never use the audio assets you shared with me, though? Maybe I should have put the organ music in there instead!

EDIT: oh, you should edit your OP to change the bit about restarting.

Thaaaanks! Yeah, without any z-targeting the fighting is quite too hard. Honestly, the whole combat system is weird and sometimes you'll get punched by the zombies' punch colliders even though they've finished their animation. It's a mess! :tup:

I would totally love to flesh this out eventually. Fix the combat and expand the castle and put in some environmental storytelling and OF COURSE a giant boss somewhere.

RE: Audio, the zombies have the zombie noise on loop once you get close to them and the thunder/rain athmosphere can be heard under the music on loop the whole time! I definitely used all the assets I sent you.

Ah, okay, I wasn't hearing it, but maybe my volume was too low and I was too scared to get close to the zombies for long enough! Phew - shared universe intact!

You can most clearly hear the rain/thunder atmosphere at the start, before you walk into the Great Hall!

Shared universe is still intact! :tup::rubik:

I'm going to write a game where you can tear that Rubik fuck apart cube by cube.

What more can I add - it's a very impressive moodpiece so far. I really enjoyed the directed on-rails-y camera and the dramatic shadows and angles. Would be real interested to play a full version of this (no pressure!), the premise is just mint.

1 hour ago, hedgefield said:

What more can I add - it's a very impressive moodpiece so far. I really enjoyed the directed on-rails-y camera and the dramatic shadows and angles. Would be real interested to play a full version of this (no pressure!), the premise is just mint.

Thanks! So, what I gather from this is that I might need to put a prompt in that you can control the camera.... :tup:

I've updated things a bit and put out Mac and Linux builds thanks to Unity a cloud Build. I haven't actually properly tested these because I'm so busy at work but let's hope all the builds work! D:

jonkk.itch.io/darkcastle

I love the art for this so I gave it a quick go on my macbook pro to test it and it runs beautifully! The art and music of this game is really incredible, I would love to see it get further fleshed out in the future if you have the time.  

I absolutely love the Mignola-esque visual style and lighting! The movement feels really satisfying too (I can't explain why, probably the combination of the speed and the camera work).

Good work with the music too toblix! I loved how the organs kicked in along with the title card when you entered the hall.

I was a bit confused at first as to why I died because I didn't notice that the zombies were actually hitting/damaging me. Maybe you could add some sound for when you take damage. Or was there already, but I somehow missed it? Even better, you could come up with some stylish visual trick to indicate that.

2 hours ago, Nappi said:

I was a bit confused at first as to why I died because I didn't notice that the zombies were actually hitting/damaging me. Maybe you could add some sound for when you take damage. Or was there already, but I somehow missed it? Even better, you could come up with some stylish visual trick to indicate that.

Yeah, this is one of the first thing's I'm gonna fix when I have time. Visual indication and some z-targeting to make combat not rubbish!

I did a tiny update, putting in some sort of particle BLAST when you hit or are hit by zombies. *AND* a first version of a z-targeting system! Right now it automatically focuses on the nearest zombie, and you can right-stick to the right or left to focus a new zombie. When you attack you'll always face the zombie you're targeting.

I'm building a room that is, at the moment, called "sword_room"

nVzLR0p.jpg

Prgwi63.pngzO111mP.png

Instant Environmental Storytelling Debris Generation:

l3q2zS5pdhmE37qne.gif

Ooh, new weapon, exciting!

Also, I look forward to piecing together a story about clumsy builders.