BigJKO

[RELEASE] Mr. Puffin in The Dark Castle

It's DONE!

R7kmOk.jpg

Mr. Puffin in the Dark Castle

Inspired by the episode title "Free Macintosh Warez", this is a spiritual sequel to the Macintosh game Dark Castle with mechanics loosely borrowed from Dark Souls (although in no way as tight-feeling) with an art style heavily inspired by Mike Mignola's comics art.

Bear in mind this started as an art test, so I just designed/coded outwards from my starting point which was Mr. Puffin's sweet Mignola'esque shader. So in the end, after spending a ton of time on the art, there isn't much game to this. You can fight the zombies and they will eventually kill you. There is no reward for beating all the zombies (aside from being able to watch their ragdolls twitch around)

I hope I can keep working on this in some form, because I really like the feel of it and the art. I could expand this into a single castle of Dark Souls lite gameplay thing. Tiny Puffin Souls!

v0.03

- Z-targeting!

v0.02

- Mac and Linux builds!

- Particles for the candalebras

Update jam_v02: Updated the death so it restarts the level automatically after a couple of seconds. AND you can quit using the "Escape" key, fittingly.

OLD: I may have accidentally started a jam thing yesterday. I don't expect to actually finish anything (because I'm also doing a team jam), but maybe it'll be a nice art thingy with minimal interactivity! Who knows! :tup: 

I did a box art, tho.

3b7eWpl.jpg

Ooh looks like a proper book cover.

Could make an interesting twine experience if you want to double down on the book aspect.

Ahh! So excited now that I know where that puffin is going!

Model is finished! Now I need a run cycle and some sort of environment for him to run in!

CyFz4s6WgAEIGZ1.jpg

Now that is a cool looking puffin!

The box art is lovely too!

Thanks! :D

I'm doing some hand-painted normal maps for this. I'm almost there, although some of the shadows are slightly too blobby instead of being a more sharp shape. But close!

EDIT! Better normal map, more sharp shadows! Lovely! :tup:

3oriNLyVafX0KN38ha.gif

The shadows make me think that Mr. Puffin is hiding something.

A dark secret.

Instead of actually making a run animation and some environment I played around with cloth some more. I'm never going to finish this. D:

3oz8xHT9OVeFsvoiw8.gif

I love this model!

How are you drawing the detail onto the mesh? I've been trying to figure that out for ages, drawing it onto the texture in Photoshop is really hit and miss.

I'm painting it in Cinema4D, where you can just paint on it in the viewer!

Most important animation, the Idle state, is done! Oh, and running.

l2JhA7AoUoKvir8sM.gifl2JhtmzHXvkmOfUvS.gif

I just spotted this on twitter and man, it looks so good.

I'm also filled with envy, because I'm really wishing I had the spare time for Wizard Jam right now.

Oh yeah! Thanks to InControl I was able to quickly setup input! It's super easy. And after some Mecanim tutorials Mr. Puffin now runs around!

3oriNZFqBk1lHce3du.gif

Started working on the camera! Holy shit, third-person cameras are complicated fuckers! It auto-adjusts when the players is running, but I still need to do some raycasting to make sure it doesn't go behind walls! But this is really starting to feel like a game! :tup:

3o7TKKrtjfWHt2SzIY.gif