brendonsmall

[Frozen In Carbonite] Sorrow and Horror

Nice one brendon. Is this a stealth-sequel to Cruisin' for Somethin'? :D

(also yes, that rock opera is quite something)

16 hours ago, Henke said:

Nice one brendon. Is this a stealth-sequel to Cruisin' for Somethin'? :D

(also yes, that rock opera is quite something)

Indeed it is meant to be a stealth-sequel. A pithy tinkly-piano-trailered reboot of a once whimsical arcade classic.

I fear my ambition has out paced space-time though. I feel like I should post the "Wizard Jamey GDD" for this game though, regardless of outcome.

Somewhat of a brain dump, but here's what I had in mind for "Sorrow and Horror", the pithy reboot of the Cruisin' For Somethin' game world.

Outline:

Your car is stopped on the side of a quiet dark highway. You've had an accident, and need to get help. You had a phone, but you don't know where it is. It's dark, and you don't know where you are. You are hurt. Your leg is broken or something, you don't know for sure.

Game:

• You have a fixed number of steps before the game ends (you pass out or die or something)
  • You explore your surrounding environment of dark desert roadside and hills
  • You can find objects that reveal what happened to you and your car
  • If you find your phone, you can maybe use it. Maybe you have your phone and need to find the battery. Should phones have batteries? Yes. This one does I guess?
  • If you find your phone, you have one chance to call because the battery is low. If you mis-dial, that's that.
  • There's a random chance a truck will pass. You can try to wave it down. Maybe, if you found the flashlight that flew out of your car's trunk when the accident happened.
  • If you step in front of the truck, it hits you and the game is over. I am torn whether to make this a straight faced truck-smuck, or use the semi truck from Mario Kart 64, and have Mario Kart 8 Luigi stare you down as the game fades to black.
  • Was also toying with the idea that you needed to walk to get gas and could find things on the way, but then the game would need a destination and a big-ish world. Fixed steps means the world can be fixed size because you can never walk further than N steps away from spawn. Got to keep that Wizard Jam scope tiny.
  • I wanted it to be dark and eerie and unsettling and a bit funny. Good sound design, a few well made objects of interest, and that's about it. Alas, I didn't really do much beyond the initial concept/GIF I posted above.

Alternative Sub-Titles:

Sorrow and Horror: I need a Transfusin'
...: I got a Bruisin'
...: My leg is Oozin'
...: This is Confusin'

I don't know. Haha.:getmecoat

I like the fixed-number-of-steps idea. :)

Need to communicate it to the player somehow tho. Either a numbercounter or a lifebar ticking down.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:16 AM, Henke said:

I like the fixed-number-of-steps idea. :)

Need to communicate it to the player somehow tho. Either a numbercounter or a lifebar ticking down.

Yeah, I was thinking of a health bar or encroaching "hurt" effect over time, but just use the number of steps or distance traveled to define how much the player has left to live.

I feel like this game is going to get made, even if not for wizard jam 4 :) 

5 hours ago, Henke said:

How's progress going with this, brendon? Still working on it?

I haven't put any real dev hours into it since last week, unfortunately. I really want to go back to it. Possibly over the holidays.