keibo

[Release (sort of)] Live from the past

Ok, so here we go...

This is my first attempt at making something that's not based off of a Tutorial on Gamemaker.

The premise is that the main character is a time traveller whose magical book's pages have been stolen and strewn across history (and future, honestly getting a single level done will be a massive achievement lol), his job is to attempt to get them back. The main idea is that the book's pages make up special attacks which the player can use and collecting pages adds power to the attacks until it is a "complete" spell (totally ripping off Skyrim shouts here on this one...) The special attacks the character will shout are going to be made up of quotes from the thumbs crew (Could you repeat that? Diversifier)

The game will be a 2D Action Platformer.

Currently got the Following animations done:

• Idle Idle_Man (1).gif
  • Running Running_Man.gif
  • Page Collectible Page.png (Can't make a decent looking GIF of this one...)

Also the character can move and jump around, he can also shoot as I was originally intending to shoot where the mouse is pointed; however I'm not sure I want to bother with directional shooting as that might require more headaches with a rotating arm... I dunno, I might get inspired and do it though, although kind of like the idea of just having a "spell" book where each quote would have a cool-down etc.

Example.png

8 hours ago, nkornek said:

This sounds neat! That idle animation is amazing!

Thanks! I would like to over the next couple of days finalize the attack animations (trying to keep it simple so as to not take too much time animating and not coding) and maybe do a simple "forest" tileset for the floors and walls.

I'll write a post tonight detailing what I still feel I need to do at least to get a single level done.

Minor update today.

Proceeded with creating a quick animation for a ranged gun attack and I also included it into the project as an attack animation with accompanied bullet. I wanted to make the character look angry or intense whilst doing the attack, but I couldn't figure out the best way to do it so red eyes it was... might change it at a later date though (probably not...lol)

ranged_attack.gif

I've also got my first key frame for the special attack animation I want to incorporate for spells; however I feel this one is going to become overcomplicated very quickly and I would prefer to get some other stuff done beforehand. Anyway, here it is below...

Capture.PNG

My plan is to add a speech bubble above the character whilst holding that position, reading out a "spell" before unleashing it with the idea being that the longer the quote the more powerful it will be, albeit it will allow the player to be interrupted by enemies.

I also plan to have a spaceship hub where the player can choose a level from a console and then walk to a teleporter that will effectively load the level.

My next task is getting enemies moving/patrolling and attacking the player and implementing hitpoints properly.

Fun times :)

This sounds really neat, and I'm reencouraged to hear that someone else is in the same boat as me when it comes to development experience haha. Good luck with the game, eager to play it!

12 hours ago, Wyatt_AK said:

This sounds really neat, and I'm reencouraged to hear that someone else is in the same boat as me when it comes to development experience haha. Good luck with the game, eager to play it!

Thanks! Although I am pretty newbie in game development, my regular job entails programming itself but the feel of it is completely different (my brain wants to set up the game project in the same way as a work projects and I can't cope haha!!)

Ok, so a bit of a gap on the updates... lol... unfortunately I wasn't able to manage much yesterday; however today I've made some progress...

Have finally created my first enemy, I present to you Toaster Bot!! The front-line defense troop of the robot overlords!

ToasterBotIdle.png

Sure it seems harmless enough, but if our hero approaches it, BAM!

toasterbot.gif

However our hero can easily dispatch it..

toasterbot(1).gif

Quite small though

Capture.PNG

Have the move animation done, but haven't yet implemented it in code as I want it to move at random intervals; I'm finding it too tempting to keep doing the pixel art...lol

Hoping to create a big dog end of level boss, complete with bee attacks! (because we all know they're powered by bees :D)

Ok so it's been awhile since my last update. I felt I should produce an update here at least...

We've now got a menu

Capture.PNG

Level Selection Screen (it's a surprise of sorts...)

and something that resembles a game now... whoo... the tiles have been made by me and I've got some bits prepared 'under the hood' so to speak with multipliers etc. and I will attempt to make this into a wave based style game where enemies continuously spawn at regular intervals until you reach the final wave whereby the level boss appears

Capture.PNG

Player can now spawn (complete with animation) and die (reversed spawn animation!), returning you to the level select screen.

And a health pickup too!

Still to add are:

• A secondary enemy and a boss, which most likely will be an oversized existing enemy (time constraints yay) with buffed HP and damage outputs (also, score value will be greater)
  • Numerous backgrounds for the level (at least 2 hopefully)
  • Special Attacks (very important...)
    • Plan on having at least one called 'Explode Mode'
  • Internalization meter for said Special Attacks
  • Sound Effects and Music

Terribly edited video below!!

Thanks @nkornek My friend from work whose getting into drawing volunteered to help (he hand drew the jars with a wacom tablet I believe)... he's also a wiz with photoshop so he relatively quickly managed to whip up the box art after he did the drawings :D

I put up my game on the itch.io for the jam here.

Regular itch.io page here.

It runs, although, don't expect anything great haha! I would like to make some final edits (note: cheat) in the next couple of days to try and wrap up the loose ends, well some of them really...